Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will big4 say NO if didnt achieve 2.1

• 20-01-2008 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi guys:

I have a question want to inquire: have accepted offer with PWC and will start this September, wondering if i am not getting 2.1 will they say NO to me, and they want the exam result from 1st and 2nd year, are they also must be 2.1?
    anyone experienced this?thanks for replay.

keyi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

The first and second year results are just to make sure you didn't lie in your application. As for the 2.1, if your offer stated "dependent on you achieving a 2.1 degree" then in theory they could say no, but I'm not sure how often this happens. They tend to have that condition for TLS graduates but I've never heard of anyones offer being revoked.

First of all congratulations on the offer! :)

I can't see them turning you away if you were to get a 2:2. At the end of the day they are taking you on 'from scratch', and the real accountancy trainng only starts next November! You will find that ACA/ ACCA/ CIMA training etc is far more relevant to the real accountancy world than any degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

Not sure about the Big4 but a girl in my class was offered a job in Grant Thornton. The offer was dependant on getting a 2.1 but she asked them would a 2.2 be acceptable and they told her verbally that a 2.2 was fine. She got a 2.2 and they wouldn't give her a job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Eastwind

thanks for all your reply, i think i'd better to achieve 2.1.acturally they just say: dependent on your achieving a degree honor, did not say 2.1 at all,but still,better go for 2.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I was wondering that too. It says on my contract that you have to get an honour not specifically a 2.1. I'm aiming for a high 2.1 but things don't always go the way you'd like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

Its been a while since I was in college but isn't a 2.1 between around 62.5 and 70 and a 2.2 between 50 and 62.5? Is a 2.2. therefore an honours degree? Not sure but you guys would know better.

At the end of the day, your offer is exactly that.....an offer to accept you if you are the same person they interviewed and I'm afraid that goes for grades as well as personality. I recall on the application form they used to ask what grade you thought you were going to achieve. I'd imagine this was to give them an out if you did not achieve it. If in doubt and you want the job, put the head down. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

62.5?

pretty sure that is 60%

and a 2.2 is certainly an honours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Cantoris wrote: »
    Its been a while since I was in college but isn't a 2.1 between around 62.5 and 70 and a 2.2 between 50 and 62.5? Is a 2.2. therefore an honours degree? Not sure but you guys would know better.

At the end of the day, your offer is exactly that.....an offer to accept you if you are the same person they interviewed and I'm afraid that goes for grades as well as personality. I recall on the application form they used to ask what grade you thought you were going to achieve. I'd imagine this was to give them an out if you did not achieve it. If in doubt and you want the job, put the head down. Good luck

But if the contract says 'honours degree' then surely that means any honour... whether its a first class honor, a second class honour grade 1 or a second class honour grade 2. They should have specified otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rathmaniacal

i know people with 2.2s in my firm (on ethe big 4).

Advertisement