Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cruelty through ignorance

Options
  • 20-01-2008 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

hey everyone!!! a topic on another thread has prompted me to ask what are the most ridiculous things you've seen done to animals by 'good-hearted' people all because they lack awareness. i don't mean out right couldn't give a sh*t cruelty, but the stupid things people subject animals to because of a lack of knowledge/belief in old wives tales/stupidity?!!!

thanks for all contributions in advance!

cat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

i prevented a " lady " having a 4 year old rottie cross's tail bound with elastic bands because tails were " dangerous "
    Oh her last dog got a tail infection and she thought it best to lobb this poor girls tail off incase it happened again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I am sick and tired of being in pet shops watching mammys and daddies (especially well-off ones) buying animals for their kids without ANY idea of how to look after them. One was so clueless about a rabbit she was buying for her 3 year old that the staff member kindly said "we sell lots of books about rabbits that are really good for referring to" and the reply was "It's not my job to know how to look after it, that's your job".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

The woman I babysit for bought two syrian hamsters for her kids, They were kept in a very small cage with a wheel, a scattering of bedding on the floor and no little places to hide. Of course they nearly killed each other and were then seperated. The second cage that one of the other hamsters were put into had just a little tray of water and no wheel, poor little mite didn't last long. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Ear cropping and tail docking. I cannot understand why people think it is A Okay to mutilate a dog like that. Also people who think leaving a dog outside 24/7. dog's are social animals and leaving the poor beasts to a life of solitude sickens me. What's the point of even having a dog if you can't or won't interact with it?
    People who chain their dogs to bricks and chunks of wood to stop them 'straying', the poor dogs drag them around after them and walk funny. I've not seen this in Dublin but I have down the country a few times.
    And I'm not even going to start about people who drown kittens and puppies because it is sunday and I want to stay in relatively good humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

wow luckystar, i think that sums up the biggest attitude problem in regards to irish animals! come on, people do more research when buying a fridge!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Owners that overfeed their dogs and give them little or no regular exercise resulting in them being over weight.Can be seen usually on the weekends (Salthill promenade is a good place) when the owner decides to bring the dog for its weekly stroll.Pi55es me off no end :mad: seeing a dog struggle to walk because of an ignorant owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I've seen some poor cases as my wife is a manager in a grooming salon. People coming in once a year to get their dogs hair cut and not brushed even once in the year. End solution: Hair on dog matted, dog screaming in pain when you go near him and then it all has to come off. Then the cheek of some owners complaining when the dog has to leave bald. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I saw an ad for a programme about overweight dogs on Channel 4 which I missed.

In the ad there was a rottweiler that was TWICE the weight it should have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Demonique wrote: »
    I saw an ad for a programme about overweight dogs on Channel 4 which I missed.

In the ad there was a rottweiler that was TWICE the weight it should have been

It was really really bad.One of the owners of a dog close to death because of its weight got into a fit of rage when she was told she was killing the dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Letting cats/dogs have a litter of kittens/pups - "because its cruel to neuter them before they breed once". I suppose it doesn't always lead to cruelty - but its definitely ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I absolutely hate it when people try to feed our dogs! They get dog food,not people food. I also hate it when dogs are kept outside and in all weather. Why have them indeed, what kind of life are these dogs getting? What is the idea of getting a companion just so it can stay in a tiny wee garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

POur dog trainer told us the most ridiculous thing. She was called to a house that had two labs that were obese. They seemed to be feeding the dog properly more or less until she got them to admit that every Friday night when they got themselves a chinese they were ordering a full dish each for the dogs. Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Have encountered pet farms who haven't bothered to sex and seperate their rabbits, then when they eventually end up with hordes of the creatures they "accidentally" leave the cage open and the fox gets them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

dizzydub wrote: »
    They seemed to be feeding the dog properly more or less until she got them to admit that every Friday night when they got themselves a chinese they were ordering a full dish each for the dogs. Idiots

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

Advertisement