Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test without valid tax disc?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

I've put this in the Learning to Drive Forum as well, but i thought I might get a more informed answer here perhaps.

Just a quick question. I got a new (to me) car last month on Dec 21st. I haven't yet received the log book, so can't get a new valid tax disc for it yet. My partner has her driving test on Tuesday morning at 10am. I checked on the driving test website and it states that you need valid motor tax to sit your test.
    I'm in a dilema that I can't physically get the tax disc until I get the log book back.
    Anybody got any idea where I stand on this?

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Hi Pete,
    you will need to have a current valid Tax Disc displayed on the car for the test. This is one of the first things that the examiner looks for (along with valid Insurance and NCT where applicable). Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pete4130 wrote: »
    I've put this in the Learning to Drive Forum as well, but i thought I might get a more informed answer here perhaps.

Just a quick question. I got a new (to me) car last month on Dec 21st. I haven't yet received the log book, so can't get a new valid tax disc for it yet.
    Is there a tax disc on it, or has it expired?

You could ask the taxman for a temp tax cert, or ring up the testing centre and see is it an auto fail or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I was thinking of trying to get a temp tax cert but I don't know if they get issued anymore. I don't htink they do. There is no tax cert in the car right now. I've got the receipt as proof of purchase if I was stopped by the Garda until the log book comes out to me and I can get it re-taxed.
    It's definitly a case to ring the test centre first thing Monday morning to see if it is an auto-fail.

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to see if anybody has had experience with this catch 22 situation before?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks for the replies. Just trying to see if anybody has had experience with this catch 22 situation before?

In fairness its not really a catch 22. The law is fairly clear that you are not allowed drive a car on a public road without valid tax. The situation that exists here with the gards turnign a blind eye to people with tax "just out" etc, is just that,them turning a blind eye. There isnt provision for it.

Can you (she) not borrow a car for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

If you have to, you could get a driving school car for the test.

• Advertisement

She can use another car such as driving school car but she would rather be in a car she is familiar with than a car she's never driven.
    The catch 22 is the not being able to sit the test with out a tax disc & at the same time not being able to obtain a tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

What type of car is she used to?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have moved this thread back there - the LTD forum is for queries about learning to drive / driving test!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

She can use another car such as driving school car but she would rather be in a car she is familiar with than a car she's never driven.

Book a driving school car for the test and also a lesson in the schools car before she does the test. It would be to risky for her to turn up without a valid disk.
    Hope she passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My test is on the 31st, and my tax is good till February 1st. Will this be a problem? I know it's still valid, but only for a few hours at that point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kikel wrote: »
    It would be to risky for her to turn up without a valid disk
    It's not a case of it being "too risky". The tester will automatically refuse to carry out the test without a valid Motor Tax disc displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

obl wrote: »
    My test is on the 31st, and my tax is good till February 1st. Will this be a problem? I know it's still valid, but only for a few hours at that point...
    No problem - perfectly vaild and legal.

I called my friend, who's dad works as a driving tester. The bottom line is no tax disc and you can't sit your test n the car, no insurance disc, you can't sit the test (they don't accept insurance receipts posted out to you either). The tax disc is my only problem though.

Luckily I still have my old car (older petrol focus estate) sitting in the driveway, not sold it yet so I've just transferred the insurance over to that in the meantime and hve to get a blown brake light replaced and everything should be good. My gf is familiar with the older car as she used to drive it.

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it alot.

Pete.

Advertisement