Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus surprise...

Options
  • 20-01-2008 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

224288913.png

Could that possibly be right??? i am only on the 3Mb package....

I ran the test again on Irish ISP tests and this is what I got:
    Download Speed Upload Speed
    11012 kbps (1345 KB/s) 308 kbps (38 KB/s)

Maybe I had one too many red bulls, but that does seem exceedingly fast... I wonder will it last.....

MJ

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try downloading something from heanet or rapidshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Just downloaded 2 videos from stage6 totaling 163mb.... they flew down, less than a minute... I wasn't timing, but seriously they were damn fast!

mj

Downloaded 50mb iso of damn small Linux from ftp.heanet.ie in 26 seconds.....

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Lucky bastard. How many times have you run speedtest.net?? Where abouts are you based?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Downloaded 50mb iso of damn small Linux from ftp.heanet.ie in 26 seconds.....

MJ

That's around a speed of 2MBps. Not bad. :)

• Advertisement

run both speeedtest.net and irish isp test twice...

emmm..... just ran it again, you won't believe this but...........
    224294362.png

I'm in Naas by the way. anyhow, time for bed. Hopefully it will still be like this in the morning. 18Mb broadband... I could get used to that!

mj

Leave a few downloads going over night. At speeds like that you'd be daft not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

lol Nice man, Hope it stays that way for you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Leave a few downloads going over night. At speeds like that you'd be daft not to.

overnight? with speeds like that, he wont even be in bed!!

(I hate you!!!) :D nice one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

id fill a terabyte drive if i were you.

• Advertisement

id fill a terabyte drive if i were you.

It would take a long time to fill a terabyte drive at those speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

224305232.png

With BT on 3Mb service - accurate enough which makes me hate the OP!

Morning all, jaysus I am tired...... redbull is still flowing through my veins!

I just checked on speedtest.net..... things have slowed down a lot. I am on 6Mb now.

224360756.png

To be honest, I don't know what is going on, somebody somewhere is messing around. I don't mind though, I can live with it!

As for downloading stuff last night.... Well I couldn't find anything massive I wanted to download, so I did not abuse the hell out of it :)

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

They could have been testing the network for future upgrades, NTL in the UK, now Vigin, did this all the time and was always an indication of a upgrade coming very soon. They are now on 20Mb and soon to be 50 so I hear.

I assume Chorus/Ntl's network is the same here as in the UK,(FTTC) so its only a matter of time before they catch up.

All back to normal now.....

224406970.png

Ah well, it was good whilst it lasted!

mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

210818086.png
    My result looked alot nicer a couple of months ago although it was just a glitch on speedtest :D

Hehe, that would be nice!! Fortunately mine was no glitch! As I posted above, 50mb download in 26 seconds!

mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

It would take a long time to fill a terabyte drive at those speeds.

not really that long..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well it's really good to know your connection is nice and future proofed. Could be a few years before they actually give you the maxspeed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

EuroDOCSIS 2.0 will do a lot more than that @ 40Mbps or so.... DOCSIS 3.0 (2009/10) will do over 100Mbps with channel bonding.

Speeds on cable will be faster than Xdsl long term but Cable will be contended whereas DSL need not be

• Advertisement
Advertisement