Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Networks - One Switch

Options
  • 20-01-2008 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi there

I have a question that is probably easy to answer...............

I have two buildings linked by fibre, I use 3com switches to link the buildings. This works great and son on.

We have installed a managed Video Conferencing solution in one of the buildings and want to provide it both buildings. This is statically provided and so on.

Would it be possible to use the same switch to provide this system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

i dont see why not, both building are linked by fibre (1gb) so you should have more than enough bandwidth, as long as there is nothing "funny" being done with ip subnets you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭keystone

ZygOte wrote: »
    i dont see why not, both building are linked by fibre (1gb) so you should have more than enough bandwidth, as long as there is nothing "funny" being done with ip subnets you should be fine.

It will be two different subnets........

One is for the data network and the Video Network is specific to the Video Conf system and needs to be statically set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

you can do this, so you have two switches with fibre connection

data network is i.e 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 aka 192.168.0/24

video conferece is 192.168.2.0/24

this will work fine but you will not be able to have anything on 192.168.1/24 talk to anything on 192.168.2/24. Not unless your switches can to VLAN's and route traffic between the VLAN's but you may have no need for this. if you do and you cant do VLAN's etc why are you putting them on sperate subnets? would it not be easier to keep them together?

Advertisement