Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old afraid of imaginary 'friend'

Options
  • 20-01-2008 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Imaginary bully may be more accurate. He used to be great at going to bed with no trouble, but in the last 3 months or so, 'baby garrett' is in the room scaring him. I have a brother Garrett, but I'm told it's not the same, that's 'big garrett'. He doesn't cry to come back downstairs or anything, just calls me as if to tell tales, and tells me baby garrett is annoying him or scaring him. Then I come into the room and he says that he's vanished, or that I scare baby garrett away. In the beginning, it was genuine fear, but now, I think he's using it to engage me in conversation, knowing I'll ask what he was doing that was scary.. Two years old and emotional blackmail already, I'm in trouble :rolleyes: Any ideas to get rid of a scary imaginary friend, short of an exorcism? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Tell him to tell baby garet its time to sleep and he should go away.Stuff like that,teach him to be brave.
    There are alot of evil things outthere interfearing with little kids. Kepp an eye on it. Seek help from your pastor, say a bed time prayer,tell him bed time prayers will protects him. etc after 3 it will stop.
    Not a looney, just have seen things happen to kids from the unseen world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A teddy that will 'mind' him will help.
    Having you come in and check the room works, the monsters who used to lurk under my kids bed were afraid of my hockey stick or putting something up to protect the room might also help.

Yes they do start the emotional black mail and trying to push peoples buttons at that age.
    I used to sit outside on the landing reading until my two would go to sleep, I would refuse to talk to them mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

wanabehome wrote: »
    Not a looney, just have seen things happen to kids from the unseen world.

Funny you should say that :) We live just up from an old workhouse/famine graveyard, and one of my brothers is trying to freak me out by telling me it's a famine baby.. Then my wee fella tells me the baby is talking about potatoes! I was mildly freaked for a while, but I've decided he's trying to manipulate the situation for elongated bedtime attention.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    A teddy that will 'mind' him will help.
    Having you come in and check the room works, the monsters who used to lurk under my kids bed were afraid of my hockey stick or putting something up to protect the room might also help.

Yes they do start the emotional black mail and trying to push peoples buttons at that age.
    I used to sit outside on the landing reading until my two would go to sleep, I would refuse to talk to them mind.

Will try that - recently bought him one of the glow bears, I'll assign him as a bodyguard tonight and open all the drawers in the dresser he looks at when he's talking about his buddy.. I've started telling him baby garrett is gone home to his mammy to go to bed too, I think it's starting to settle him a bit. Hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

my daughter did that too me also, nearly freaked me out until I thought it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

we had that type of experience ... I had a note on our front door that our little guy was told said "no monsters are allowed to come into this house" (it actually told people the bell was broke and could they knock!).
    He also was given magic spray to get rid of possible nightmares - it was water in a spary bottle.

Ok so maybe some people would call it pandering to them, but we called it enabling them to fight their demons. We called it enpowering them.

Hey - what the heck - it worked for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement