Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer problems

• 20-01-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

I have a one year old boxer, when we take her out for walks and let her off her lead, she is fine and comes back with no major problems. But its a completely different story when she manages to escape. She runs all over the road with no regard for cars etc, im so worried that one day soon she will be killed. Its impossible to catch her, she just thinks it one big game and its not unusal for us to be out over 2 hours trying to get her back in. Has anyone any advice on to get her to realise that its not a game and if anyone could point me in the direction of a dog trainer in the Arklow/Gorey area, as I have been unable to find one and cant travel up to Dublin. Here she is in one of her quieter moments!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

emmm ...stop her from escaping ?

and for explanation:
    When you're out together and let her off the lead, she knows that she is still under your control ...when she escapes, she's her own master and can do what she wants ... your fruitless efforts in catching her have strengthend that.

That's normal behaviour.

Over a long period of time (several years) her recall might get so habitual the she might listen to you even when she escapes ...for the moment she won't.

Problem is ...while she' s out on her own, she's learning that you can't always make her come back ...that could filter through to when she's off the lead and she might not come back then either.

so ...make sure she can't escape any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

The chasing just encourages her to think its a game and stay away. She is getting loads of attention by doing this. If you just ignore her and walk towards home she should follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

I agree. Stop her from gettin out. I had to say good bye to my boxer in november after 12 years and she had the same problem so she never got off the lead, grew out of it. boxers are very indepentantly minded but a real great dog.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

We do our best to stop her, but sometimes she manages to get out when we are opening the door etc, the only surefire way to stop her would be to tie her up and im sure you agree that would'nt be too nice for her. We don't chase her but when there are cars slammng on their brakes to avoid her, it makes it very hard not to!

In regards to the dog trainer, does anyone have any recommandations or know of any in the area? thanks

The dog trainer won't be able to do much for you ...a young runaway dog is just that ...a young runaway that won't be caught.

You just have to put an end to careless opening of doors. When you need to get out and she's not supposed to ...put her into another room first, away from the open door. Make that your (and her) habit.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I agree you don't need to spend money on a behaviourist.
    Make it a game - get some nice smelly treats and ask her to " Sit " for you.
    Treat her - prolong the sit and move away from her - even if it only means a teeny step at a time.
    This way you can teach the dog a sit / stay and use the command when you want to leave the room. It will work for the kind of dog who loves to burst out ahead of you !

Or if all else fails get a child gate on your main room door and close it after you.
    All you need to teach the dog is basic manners and you are half way there already !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cheztoots

I had the same problem with my dog, a black lab, if he managed to get out without his lead he would run away, chasing him made it worse, I used to turn my back on him and make him think I was leaving him, he used to run back to me quick enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

thanks for the replies, we have tried them all though. Hopefully she will grow out of it! She doesn't get out that often but when she does its terrible.

Sorry to be harking on about this, but we have three dogs ...they NEVER got out.

You're doing something not quite right

Advertisement