Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kangaroo

• 20-01-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Any idea where I can get kangaroo or wallaby meat in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You're in Sligo?

Hmm, I know Superquinn used to sell it, in vacuum packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Thanks DesF. No Superquinn locally but I can travel. Roo is a rare beast up here so no Skippy roadkill to experiment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I know of a butchers in Terenure that definately do exotic meat including what you are looking for. Not sure but I think the link below is their website (memory not that great!)
    They may be able to offer a delivery service to Sligo for you

http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/

Nice one Kenco. Have e-mailed them and await a reply. Having tried Roo, there is no substitute ... it'll probably cost though ... but hey!

Yeah, Kangaroo is lovely meat.

Luckily there is a Fresh right beside my apartments, and they sell it.

It's expensive though.

Someone should open a 'roo farm in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

kenco wrote: »
    I know of a butchers in Terenure that definately do exotic meat including what you are looking for. Not sure but I think the link below is their website (memory not that great!)
    They may be able to offer a delivery service to Sligo for you

http://www.organicfoodsireland.com/

I can confirm that butcher in Terenure (the name escapes me right now). I bought kangaroo and springbok there recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I can confirm that butcher in Terenure (the name escapes me right now). I bought kangaroo and springbok there recently.
    Its “John Downey & Son” on Terenure Road, between the Church and the main crossroads. They do all sorts of interesting Game, but cheap they are not. Well worth a visit...

Got an email from them with prices for Roo. Result! Thanks everyone.
    Now all I have to do is save for a day trip to go shopping. The meat is a reasonable price considering - fillet too.

I actually bought a some from Vic Market in Melbourne once, a new stall... nice guys... damn cheap Roo meat.
    A week later I went back and they'd put their sign up...
    a bloody pet food stall.

Oh well, I'm still here, I ate cheaply and haven't mutated into those beings in 'TankGirl'.
    Yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

No problemo, happy to help

Pity they cant deliver for you so that you could get your hands on it sooner. Still the wait might be worth it!

Yeah ... so hungry I could eat a horse ...

say! anyone know where I can ... ???????????? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    I actually bought a some from Vic Market in Melbourne once, a new stall... nice guys... damn cheap Roo meat.
    A week later I went back and they'd put their sign up...
    a bloody pet food stall.

Oh well, I'm still here, I ate cheaply and haven't mutated into those beings in 'TankGirl'.
    Yet...

Hey Mr NoTV - kangaroo is popular as petfood over here, and our animals go nuts for it. It's because it's got a strong smell and gamey flavour - if I had to compare it to something it would be a venison fillet. As long as you didn't buy the meat with added vitamins and powders to supplement your pet's diet, I think classing it as 'petfood' is more to do with the local attitude than anything else. In some places roos are seen as such vermin that lots of people wouldn't eat them, it would be like people in England deciding to eat the grey squirrel.

I buy kangaroo mince for our cats but I buy it from the human section and add the vitamins myself as opposed to buying the petfood cat mince - mainly because the mince in the petfood section there is vaccuum sealed and swimming in blood and I wouldn't eat mince packed that way myself in a million years. The human consumption stuff is packed very differently to the petfood. Still though, one day the checkout chick hefted a bag of kangaroo mince at me, indicated the cool bag and asked "Do you want me to put the dogfood in with the cold stuff?"

After having prepared it for the animals I don't think I'd ever choose it on a menu if I was out somewhere. I think it would just be too gamey for me.

cat mince.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

LOL - hey that's what they call it. I know this country hates cats, but I don't think they hate them QUITE that much... 'Cat Mince' and 'Pet Mince' are usually minced kangaroo, or minced kangaroo with other meats (not cat), with vitamins added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

They offered it to me in the Olive Grove in Athlone on friday.

I nearly punched the waitress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had a kangaroo kebab in Ayers Rock,was actually quite nice.It may of been the 12 /15 stubbies i had before hand tho.

LOL - hey that's what they call it. I know this country hates cats, but I don't think they hate them QUITE that much... 'Cat Mince' and 'Pet Mince' are usually minced kangaroo, or minced kangaroo with other meats (not cat), with vitamins added.
    Heh, I guessed as much.
    snyper wrote: »
    They offered it to me in the Olive Grove in Athlone on friday.

I nearly punched the waitress.
    Why? It's a lovely meat.
    jackncoke wrote: »
    Had a kangaroo kebab in Ayers Rock,was actually quite nice.It may of been the 12 /15 stubbies i had before hand tho.
    Nah, it wasn't the beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why? It's a lovely meat

Im sure it is..

But she called me fat because i didnt want a starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Was in Queensland last month and had BBQ Roo on Fraser Island. I thought it was really tasty…rather gamey.
    But upon seeing it, one of the locals did comment… “Oh yummy, some road kill” and nobody laughed except me :eek:

I cooked and ate Roo and Wallaby many times when I lived in Melbourne and usually bought it from the deli at Vic Market (near the French Shop - if it's still there). The 'pet food incident really was a Pet Food stall at the same market - lower standards of meat I was told later and yes, it did smell a little higher than usual but it was 35 degrees so I didn't query it.

I find the taste of Roo a cross between venison and horse. Those of you who haven't tried it yet should give it a go.

Advertisement