Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with very loud bark next door

• 20-01-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

The family next door got a dog recently..now it doesn't bark that often, but when it does..it can bark at all hours of the morning (about 80% of nights it barks very early am) and wakes me up every time. I have a problem sleeping as it is and the dog wakes me up even when I wear ear plugs, its very loud.
    I have said to them a few times and it improves for a while but then reverts to the same old. The thing is it actually doesn't bark that often, its just that the bark cuts right through you, if you know what I mean, no matter where you sleep in the house. I call it the "noise machine", to them it may be classed as a dog but to me its just noise, and I need some proper advice on my next step..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The family next door got a dog recently..now it doesn't bark that often, but when it does..it can bark at all hours of the morning (about 80% of nights it barks very early am) and wakes me up every time. I have a problem sleeping as it is and the dog wakes me up even when I wear ear plugs, its very loud.
    I have said to them a few times and it improves for a while but then reverts to the same old. The thing is it actually doesn't bark that often, its just that the bark cuts right through you, if you know what I mean, no matter where you sleep in the house. I call it the "noise machine", to them it may be classed as a dog but to me its just noise, and I need some proper advice on my next step..

Not a PI really...but i'd say there's not a lot he owners can do about a dog that barks every once in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Maybe move to animal and pet issues. This sort of thing has come up before there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

jump over neighbours fence and throw dog in your garden for the night and see how your neighbours like it then!!
    that will teach them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have anyone else in the neighbourhood mentioned it to you or the dog owners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Call over to their house and as friendly as possible stress the issue again, but let them know it's becoming a serious pain. Tell them it's really disrupting your sleep and that you'd really appreciate if they got a bark collar for the dog (it's a thing that has a noise sensor on it and squirts lemon juice at the dog when it barks lol). They really work. If it wakes you up again after you've suggested this in a friendly way then call over and start shouting at them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,864 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dogs need to be indoors at night imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Thanks for the replies. One night a while back there was a gathering of neighbours ready to complain when it was going nuts for 4 hours. Anyway I knocked in and he was stressing that "Come on now it doesn't bark that much compared to.." but I stressed that it is a problem and had a friendly chat, and last night it didn't bark. Had a nice relaxing sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Overheal wrote: »
    dogs need to be indoors at night imo.

Why:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Thanks for the replies. One night a while back there was a gathering of neighbours ready to complain when it was going nuts for 4 hours. Anyway I knocked in and he was stressing that "Come on now it doesn't bark that much compared to.." but I stressed that it is a problem and had a friendly chat, and last night it didn't bark. Had a nice relaxing sleep.

You took the right approach imo but if there is a nuisance dog and the owner is inconsiderate and uncooperative the Control of Dog acts is always there to fall back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

padi89 wrote: »
    Why:confused:

so that:

1) they don't make a nuisance of themselves by barking through the night
    2) they can't get nicked or escape while you're asleep
    3) you become aware if they have any medical emergencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

peasant wrote: »
    so that:

1) they don't make a nuisance of themselves by barking through the night
    2) they can't get nicked or escape while you're asleep
    3) you become aware if they have any medical emergencies
    i tottally agree i keep my dogs in as one night my staff woke us up as there was smoke comming from the kitchen as i left one of the rings on cooker to heat up teapot,got burnt out thanks to my dog.If he was outside god knows what would have happened.Dog inside are life savers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Theres also 2 other dogs roaming the estate, a small Terrier and another bigger dog. I know where one of them live (they just let it out in the estate) but the other one is filthy and just wanders around doing its business. Its only a pup really. Thinking about calling the dog warden sometime.

Advertisement