Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing squirrelmail

Options
  • 20-01-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hello!

Anyone know what settings I need to use so I can access squirrelmail using an email client like Thunderbird or Outlook?

Thanks!

Stern

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mail.dit.ie for incoming/outgoing etc.. Logging in details are same as if logging into the actual Squirrelmail site

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Stern

Is that using pop, or IMAP? It's just that in squirrelmails help files there is stuff mentioning IMAP...

me < has no clue

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unfortualately it won't make it go any faster though :(

i think i have mine set up as pop, but told not to delete messages off the server.

i think the IMAP setting is only for staff.

Yeah its POP access m8, shudda said that, sorry :$

Nick

Brilliant, its working. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Hrm, let me rephrase that. Getting messags is working, when I try to send messages it gives me a little popup error box saying:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1
    <receipient email>: Relay access denied. Please check the message recipients and try again.

This is from Thunderbird 2.0.0.9

My settings for the SMTP are:
    Description: DIT Mail
    Server Name: mail.dit.ie
    Port: 25
    User Name: <my student number>
    Secure Connection: None

I dont use Thunderbird (Have mine in gmail :)) But I notice Gmail uses port 110, you seem to be using port 25, try changing that and see how ya get on ;)

Nick

Under advice from a friend I told thunderbird to use IMAP instead of POP and it seems to have downloaded all my folders from within Squirrelmail, which is great, but I still can't send emails.

When I send using port 25 I get:

An error occurred while sending mail. The server responded: 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [86.40.109.190] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org; Blocked - see http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=86.40.109.190. Please check the message recipients and try again.

When I send using port 110 I get:

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: +OK POP3D(*) Server PMDFV6.2.2 at Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:46:49 +0000(WET)(APOP disabled).

Now what the hell does that mean...?

I just tested there sending a email from within gmail from my dit address and it came instantly, I'm sure aswell that its setup using pop, cant really help you here, but it works fine integrated into gmail

Nick

Heh, let me add another degree of weirdness. If I set the Outgoing Server of my DIT Mail account to the Google Mail smtp, and then send an email, I'm asked to enter the password for my gmail, then after about 5 minutes the message arrives and says it was sent from my gmail account. So it seems I can send stuff that way.. for some reason.

• Advertisement

TBH I'd blame the DIT Servers, There prob not up to scratch for allowing sending of mails outside the Squirrelmail app, but it works grand in Gmail, no issiues for me

Nick

did you get it working in the end stern?

i need to send an email from my college account but i can't log into squirrelmail (yet the techies think it's great to update the homepage to mock me). i have the account sent up on apple mail and my iphone but won't allow me to send mail (recieve is fine) but if i stick in gmail's details for outgoing server, the email comes as from my gmail account, wish i do not wish to give out.

So erm is this the "new email system" the new buttons :P LOL, DIT are hilarious, btw wont log in online for me either Cremo

Nick

the new system looks good tbh, depends now how it's implemented.

http://education.sungardhe.com/Education/demos/luminis_demo/swf/sct_main.html

Cremo wrote: »
    the new system looks good tbh, depends now how it's implemented.

http://education.sungardhe.com/Education/demos/luminis_demo/swf/sct_main.html
    Actually looks good Cremo, but as you say it must be implemented efficiently to be effective :D Hopefully DIT won't screw it up

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

why has web ct and mail not been integrated yet. 1 stop shop is what we need for notes, mail, assignments, contact lectures, results.

dit says '1 step closer to the real world', but if real world is like dit the god rest our souls.

yep, very bad day at the office! :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

grodge wrote: »
    why has web ct and mail not been integrated yet. 1 stop shop is what we need for notes, mail, assignments, contact lectures, results.

dit says '1 step closer to the real world', but if real world is like dit the god rest our souls.

yep, very bad day at the office! :mad:

Well until all courses in DIT make use of WebCT this probably wont happen for a while. You can get your webct email forwarded to your DIT account at least so you dont miss anything sent to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I think your problem with the email is you havent ticked my outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication (at least thats what its called in outlook) - then tell it to use the same settings as your incoming server (which should be left alone at DIT not gmail).Its under more settings under the outgoing server tab.

Axwell wrote: »
    Well until all courses in DIT make use of WebCT this probably wont happen for a while. You can get your webct email forwarded to your DIT account at least so you dont miss anything sent to you.
    Yeah lol whats up with that, we have comp.dit lecturers sites, student distrib P: Drive (Only accessable in the college!), Moodle, Web CT etc... Why need so many? And moodle, comp.dit sites seem to go down randomly at times aswell...

Nick

there are times moodle goes down intentionally.

the P:\ drive can be accessed from home if you have a netsoc account.

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Yeah lol whats up with that, we have comp.dit lecturers sites, student distrib P: Drive (Only accessable in the college!), Moodle, Web CT etc... Why need so many? And moodle, comp.dit sites seem to go down randomly at times aswell...

Nick

Well the p drive was there before WebCt and with some of the files sizes etc its handy to just put stuff there. As for Moodle and WebCT that it down to your lecturers, some decided to go their own way and use moodle instead of WebCT and others just havent embrassed anything technical such as WebCT or Moodle and prefer the old methods. Its hard to please all of the people all of the time!

Cremo wrote: »
    there are times moodle goes down intentionally.

the P:\ drive can be accessed from home if you have a netsoc account.
    Haha Cremo I guessed some times Moodle went down just before exams or whatever, interesting!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

i use gmail at the moment and then Mail on OSX to get my mail from gmail. i tried to set up college a/c in Mail and its painful.

i see in gmail you can access pop, so now i get my regular mail and college mail into gmail and then into Mail. it sound long way around but its actually pretty handy. when i have laptop i can get everything with Mail, when im out i can just log onto gmail and get everything and then it gets backed up on my laptop next time i access it.

you can also use gmail to sent mail from college address. gmail/settings/account/add another email address/follow steps.

just thought this might be of help to some ppl. collating mail to all one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Has any one noticed that there is some one in the IT office taking the piss...

on the squirrelmail page with the new icons there is one "Squirrel info" click on it and you are taken to a wikipedia page about squirrels....

Has any one noticed that there is some one in the IT office taking the piss...

on the squirrelmail page with the new icons there is one "Squirrel info" click on it and you are taken to a wikipedia page about squirrels....
    Lmao man, didnt see that one, Dit trying to be funny :D. Around xmas time there was a Squirrel with a santa hat on it as a logo, very festive :D

Nick

DIT is severly taking the Piss with Squirrel Mail in General... come on....HTML....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

I use gmail to access my dit mail via pop. Squirrel Mail is a good program for webmail access. Just because it is plain does not mean it lacks functionality. If they were running it on a server that could handle the mail load there would be no problems.

Dave.

I use Vodafone to access Squireel Mail as well as Gmail

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Bit O/T but does anyone know how long it takes to get your email address after registration?

• Advertisement

I take it then you are only new to DIT... but when you get your student card your Email will be on that

Advertisement