Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car parked or 16months

Options
  • 20-01-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I know there already was a forum about this, but i'm just looking for facts. Currently there is a car parked outside my house. We live in a cul-de-sac. The car has been parked there for over 16months. Nct 06-06, Tax 12-06. we now have four everyday days, we need the extra space outside the house.

There are two spaces, but our neighbour in the corner finds it very hard to get out if a second car is parked there. What i want to know is if there is any way that we can get the car moved. We've tried with the neighbour but he just turned it round and moved it over slightly.

I am looking for facts more so, before we start to parked our cars all over the road, to make him suffer when he is reversing out of his driveway(in his everyday car).

Any help is welcome, we just want to try and get t moved.

Thanks,
    LM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

A car must have current road tax to be parked in a public space, you don't mention the insurance but I'd imagine it's also out which again is illegal. A simple call to the law should have it towed away or seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Have you phoned the enviornmental department in your county council to get it moved? If its been abandoned there they will take it. you will just need to pester them enough to get them to move it.

You could also call theGardai to check it out? It may be stolen or they could try to contact the owner to get them to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Approach your neighbour again and tell him that you intend to report it if it isn't moved off the public road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If you report it to the gards they will come down and issue fines for having no tax. Your neighbour (depending if the car is registered to him) will receive the fine in the post. This is the bullsh1t way of dealing with it.

If you want the situation solved Call in to your local station and meet a sergeant. Tell him you want this car siezed under section 41 of the road traffic act as the car is not taxed to be on a public road. Also tell him your neighbour is pissing you about by turning it and moving it slightly.

If the sergeant is any good he will assign gards to go down and have to car seized (ie towed away), and not issue a bullsh1t ticket for 60 euro which is alot cheaper than actually taxing a car.

Your neighbour can get the car back by taxing it and proving he has insurance to drive it. If it is a sh1tbox of a car the gards will give him the option of signing a form and they will crush it free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ktisel

is it abandoned??? or a neighbours car?? if abandoned call the cops.... if not mind ur own.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He Could just tax it and leave it there for another year if the guards called.

Did you ask him why he is hanging on to a car he doesn't use for 16 months?

I feel your pain, it's very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Not sure about the private property beeing a cul de sac and that the customs could seize your car because it is not taxed.

But because you are sharing this cul de sac space I suppose, it is supposed to be free of goods that impact other owners day to day life on this property.

Now go back to see your neighbour and ask him to move the funcking car in another spot for once for all.

If he does not want to, call the cops and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

He has a driveway that he uses for his working car and leaves an untaxed and probably uninsured car on the street, the guy is obviously a muppet.

If your house overlooks the car point a video camera at the car and catch him turning it, even moving a car 20 yards without insurance would get him in court.

As others have said call to the Gardai.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

customs have no involvement.
    A cul-de-sac is still a public place so it needs motor tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Was there not a similar thread to this that recommended the removal of the plates? This way it could be seen as a "dumped" car and easier for the Gardai/CoCo to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

This is a very common situation, I dealt with several of these a day when I was working for a county council. This much is fact:

The guards can issue a fine for it not being taxed. They won't remove it, the county council needs to do that. Basically you need to report the car to the county council, they need to trace the owner by writing to the motor tax office and waiting for a written reply. That takes about a week to two weeks. They then write to the owner giving them 21 days to tax or remove the car. If the owner doesn't do this, they put a laminated sticker on the car advising the owner that the car will be removed and scrapped within 7 days if it is not removed by the owner or taxed.

Now, this is where the fun starts. For a start, a legal loophole allows the owner to merely move the car around the corner, and the whole process has to begin again (driving it without insurance is a crime, but he could push the thing if he liked).

Secondly, the above is how the process works in theory, but the council I was working in was afraid of law suits. They were meeting with the guards an awful lot to try get a definitive policy together, but by the time I left the job an official policy hadn't been worked out yet. Basically if the car was clearly a banger, they'd take it. If it was in any way decent, they'd write lots of threatening letters and put stickers on it, but it'd go no further.

Hopefully your county council has a bit more teeth. Give the Environmental Dept. a ring and talk to them. Also ring the guards to report the tax being out of date.
    RosieJoe wrote: »
    Was there not a similar thread to this that recommended the removal of the plates? This way it could be seen as a "dumped" car and easier for the Gardai/CoCo to remove it.
    While this could end you up in a lot of trouble, yes, removing the plates makes the whole thing a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John R wrote: »
    point a video camera at the car and catch him turning it, even moving a car 20 yards without insurance would get him in court.
    Breezer wrote:
    driving it without insurance is a crime
    The insurance issue is probably a non-runner as he may be driving another vehicle and merely transfer the insurance for a few minutes.

The insurance issue is probably a non-runner as he may be driving another vehicle and merely transfer the insurance for a few minutes.
    True. Believe me when an owner doesn't want to move a car these things can go on for a very long time. When that happens they tend to be resolved by the car mysteriously getting burned out or something.

By the way OP, you don't happen to live on a private road do you? As in, do the council maintain the road in any way? Because if it's private they won't go near it, you'll need to talk to your management company. Otherwise go with what I suggested in my earlier post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

we now have four everyday days, we need the extra space outside the house.

There are two spaces, but our neighbour in the corner finds it very hard to get out if a second car is parked there. What i want to know is if there is any way that we can get the car moved. We've tried with the neighbour but he just turned it round and moved it over slightly.

So, to be clear:
    There are 2 spaces on the road, one of which your neighbour uses.

You have 4 cars (?) and you want both spaces so you are looking to have your neighbour fined and harassed until he gets rid of his car and you get the space.

I wish I lived beside you.:rolleyes:

Technically he's within his rights if the car isn't taxed. If the neighbour taxes the car, he has every right to park there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, the way I read the OP's post is that some stranger dumped the car there and he wants it moved because if he parks his cars elsewhere they block the neighbour in, rather than the neighbour acting the bollix.

Stephen wrote: »
    Eh, the way I read the OP's post is that some stranger dumped the car there and he wants it moved because if he parks his cars elsewhere they block the neighbour in, rather than the neighbour acting the bollix.
    Hmm, having read it again you seem to be right, if he's referring to two different neighbours. Either way the point stands: if the car isn't taxed, it shouldn't be there and the OP has every right to pursue the matter. But if the car's owner is difficult it may go on for some time, at least a month and possibly a lot longer, depending on how bothered the council are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....if the estate hasn't been taken in charge, even thje Co Co can't touch it - it remains private property - management company ?

oh, tax it may need - but insurance it does not. And you can't tax it without insurance.

So, how's that for a conundrum?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And you can't tax it without insurance.
    You can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You can.
    By making a false declaration?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Indeed. They do not ask for proof of insurance.

Note: I do not condone it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Mutz wrote: »
    Have you phoned the enviornmental department in your county council to get it moved? If its been abandoned there they will take it. you will just need to pester them enough to get them to move it.

You could also call theGardai to check it out? It may be stolen or they could try to contact the owner to get them to move it.

Council won't touch it if the Reg plates are still on it. If the reg plates were to vanish and its not taxed or insured, then they are obliged to remove it. If it were to be leaking fluids then it would be an environmental hazzard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

be nice at first then, get creative. there are more than ten ways to skin a cat.

Council won't touch it if the Reg plates are still on it. If the reg plates were to vanish and its not taxed or insured, then they are obliged to remove it.
    Better make sure the windshield is smashed so that the old tax and insurance discs are removed. Remember these have the reg number on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Gurgle wrote: »
    So, to be clear:
    There are 2 spaces on the road, one of which your neighbour uses.

You have 4 cars (?) and you want both spaces so you are looking to have your neighbour fined and harassed until he gets rid of his car and you get the space.

I wish I lived beside you.:rolleyes:

We have 6 cars and NO we don't NEED the space, our neigbhour in the corner of the cul-de-sac finds it impossible to get out of her driveway when he is parked there(her driveway is at a bit of an angle, so if she was to go straight out she'd hit it).

ANYWHO

In the end we decided it would be right to ask him first rather than gettin any1 involved. We just went over and asked him to move it. To which he was very obliging. He moved into onto the path outside his own house. It's still causing a bit of an obstruction, but it's outside his house now. Not our problem.

Thanks for the help.
    LM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Had the same problem a few months back. Had to call a favour in as my estate has not been handed over to the council and so our roads our deemed private property. Anyway both vehicles are gone after a firendly knock on the door.

If I were you I would ring the council anyway. Fcku him.. He's caused enough hassle for you for that past few months... let him suffer for a week or two. :p

I would snitch on him to the law about the no tax situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would, i really would, but it's just effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've a similar problem,in my estate where there are public spaces opposite the houses on the street. Since I moved in last July, there's been a 02 reg silver 5 series BMW parked in a space. No-one knows who owns it, the tax and insurance was up in September. I reported it to the cops as its becoming a bit of an eyesore and taking up a parking space (at weekends it can be pretty hard to get parking). They said they'd sed up someone to have a look at it and check if its stolen. That was 2 weeks ago and I still havent heard anything and the car is still there. What department in the council should I contact to get it removed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Nightwish wrote: »
    I've a similar problem,in my estate where there are public spaces opposite the houses on the street. Since I moved in last July, there's been a 02 reg silver 5 series BMW parked in a space. No-one knows who owns it, the tax and insurance was up in September. I reported it to the cops as its becoming a bit of an eyesore and taking up a parking space (at weekends it can be pretty hard to get parking). They said they'd sed up someone to have a look at it and check if its stolen. That was 2 weeks ago and I still havent heard anything and the car is still there. What department in the council should I contact to get it removed?
    Ring the law and say you spotted a 5 series and you think the driver was steamed. Say you dont want to leave your name but you just want to report it. They will run the reg and it will come back with the owner and if it is taxed or not, might get some copper interested enoght to ask questions..

Advertisement