Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a gay bar thing, or are all bars like this?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Reading the thread in another area of boards about the worst toilets in Ireland got me thinking - why do the toilet cubicles in the front lounge not have locks on the doors?

I initially wondered if patrons took these off in order to facilitate..you know...intimate rendezvous in the jacks.

But then, when I was out with my sister, she said it was the same in the ladies! And I didn't think the fairer sex were as inclined toward that..

Or is it the exact opposite? To discourage the use of toilets like that via a lack of privacy?

Or just to discourage you from taking a crap? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like poor maintenance to be honest. Locks eventually break off due to wear and tear. I see it in a lot of places where the jacks have fallen into disarray.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've seen it a lot in gay bars, for to stop certain liaisons taking place. The female toilets could be used in the same way.

I'm pretty sure a girl was raped by a guy in The George about 7 years ago in the ladies toilet, so it's not like ladies loos are immune.

On the flip side, it can be just shobby maintanence

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I always suspected it was more to do with trying to control coke use.

But the way the Front lounge is run it could just be incompitence

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

BuffyBot wrote: »

I'm pretty sure a girl was raped by a guy in The George about 7 years ago in the ladies toilet, so it's not like ladies loos are immune.

That's right. That's why they have the signs of exactly who (incl which TG) can use what toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

this is the case in loads of pubs, clubs, venues and even some restaurants i've been in all round dublin. very irritating. its not a gay thing....just a poor management/maintenance thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Was in a straight pub in Limerick City last Saturday and the toilets were disgusting - we left straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

fl wrote: »
    I always suspected it was more to do with trying to control coke use.

Well they could start by removing the counter tops then...!

Seriously, having a little ledge behind the toilets instead of just building them straight into the wall..every time I go in there I wonder how much coke residue must be on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

The cubicle toilets in the Front Lounge never locked. When the pub changed ownership about a year or so ago, and they tried to make it a "gay friendly" venue, the locks were repaired. They were broken a few weeks later.

My guess is they don't lock them for fear of gay boys doing what they like to do with other gay boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

in most pubs/clubs the cubicles do have locks but these get broken on such a regular basis some venues may well have given up replacing them as it costs quite a lot to have someone replace them only for the security staff to have to kick the door in that night to get at some unconcious pisshead or worse if some customer does it in the course of fight.

Advertisement