Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Weeks Snow Risk

Options
  • 20-01-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well amidst all this mild weather, there are expected to be one or two blips this week which could lead to some snowfall in places.

Tomorrow evening and night is beginning to look interesting for Northern Ireland with a sliver of cold air wrapping around some very heavy precipitation.

Heavy snow is likely in places up north, it will start as rain and readily turn to snow towards nightfall, temperatures could dip very low on Monday night perhaps down to -5c across Ulster, this risk may spread into North Leinster (Louth, North Meath).

Then on Thursday a swathe of cold air will journey across the Atlantic, quite intense for a regular westerly flow, it will be so cold due to the intense cold in the US and across Greenland, Newfoundland.

850hpa as low as -7c in places with widespread wintry showers of hail/sleet and snow. Western areas could see some appreication of snow!

After that its the heat is on, but in such awful synoptics i don't think we could juice any more snow potential than this week!

The Synoptics are really terrible!

Comments

yeah before he bashes me on the head for the my snow is better than your snow tete a tete :D paddy1 should see something nice from Thursday should it pan out like it is looking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Excellent. I won't be home tomorrow night, but it will still be interesting to see what happens at home. After the very localised event in November 2006, I'll be pretty hopeful. 150m ASL makes a big difference in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yes i agree about Thursday, the returning polar maritime air has some bumf to it.Worth watching of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

yeah before he bashes me on the head for the my snow is better than your snow tete a tete :D paddy1 should see something nice from Thursday should it pan out like it is looking :)
    A strange comment.:cool: To be honest I don't have much faith in getting anything snow wise from this thursday's event. Pressure is too high for any big showers to develop I think, at least this far south. If anyplace is going to get anything it would be the North and North east I would think.

BBC rainfall graph suggest snow for the north as well on monday/tuesday. Could be interesting up there. You never know BB, if that little low swings south enough before it leaves the country, you squeeze a little something out of it.

The Synoptics are really terrible!
    I totally agree. They almost don't look right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

BBC news just had substantial snowfall for all on thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

MET forecast :
    Wednesday night and Thursday will be very cold with fairly widespread showers. Many of the showers will be wintry, with falls of hail, sleet and even snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was snowing here lightly this morning heading off to work. Nothing settled though as it was about 3°C roughly at the time.

Tomorrow night and into Thursday could be interesting in the west, maybe even an odd rogue shower might make it to the east but small chance of that unless we get something more substantial develop, but hope springs eternal!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Have a flight to catch 7am Thurs from Shannon. Possible snow in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jean Byrne had a good forecast tonight. Though tomorow night was omitted from the charts, She did show the snow showers starting on the extreme west coastal areas later tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

I don't understand why the boards are so quiet there is obviously a good chance of some decents fall of snow judging from Jeans forecat this evening, along with a weather warning of hail, sleet and snow especially over the northern half of the country! I suppose on met eireanns record of snow forecasting in the past you can never be so sure, but then again would it have been a different forecast if it had of been Gerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cornilius wrote: »
    I don't understand why the boards are so quiet there is obviously a good chance of some decents fall of snow judging from Jeans forecat this evening, along with a weather warning of hail, sleet and snow especially over the northern half of the country! I suppose on met eireanns record of snow forecasting in the past you can never be so sure, but then again would it have been a different forecast if it had of been Gerry?

Well there will be widespread wintry showers Wednesday night in to Thursday PM, but i can't see any serious snow, maybe a couple of inches on high ground in the west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah most boards users here are in east, and we will see very little if any snow at all from this, it shud be mostly sunny here with maybe a few light well scattered wintry showers, certainly nothing like what happened at the start of January. From Galway city to Derry would be were the main snow risk is, mostly high ground areas and parts of Northern Ireland, the cold snap is alos going to be a 1 day affair with mild weather back in full swing by dawn on Friday morning.

Indeed, the east is the centre of the planet of course....

However, we can all give opinion still, regardless of where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Less of the sour grapes please:)

People are always going to prioritise where they live. I ramped up the event in January a while before it happened, though it was based on a gut feeling and some inaccurate predictions. There tended to be a loss of interest from the Dubs, especially when it was almost entirely snowing heavily north of the Co. Dublin border!:D And no one has disagreed about giving opinion on forecasts for any area of Ireland, let alone the west.

For my part, I think there won't be any meanignful organised precipitation that will fall as snow on Thursday for most of the west coast. I'd fancy Donegal's chances as per usual in these setups though.

Well living in the west, the hot spot of Celtic Gloom, I still think that this is going to be a non event, and at best, fleeting. I think that an area from Mayo to Belfast northwards will probably bear the brunt on Thursday. I hope to be wrong. I would prefer if the country as a whole got something out of it.

Anyway. Looking more positive in the models with regards longer term. Hopefully it will pay off eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

TBC wrote:
    There tended to be a loss of interest from the Dubs, especially when it was almost entirely snowing heavily north of the Co. Dublin border
    Oi,i had to travel to see the snow so the interest was definitely there:p

BBC has downgraded to a possibility

So not worth getting excited about. The met have mentioned accumilation and a risk of thunder surely some parts of the west could expect a hammering! Could these showers be widespread due to the strong winds?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

met eireann giving the snow risk mainly for the west + northwest tonight and tomorrow morning, it will turn milder during the day with rain in the north. Unlikely to be anything in the East or South were it should stay dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Well living in the west, the hot spot of Celtic Gloom, I still think that this is going to be a non event, and at best, fleeting. I think that an area from Mayo to Belfast northwards will probably bear the brunt on Thursday. I hope to be wrong. I would prefer if the country as a whole got something out of it.

Anyway. Looking more positive in the models with regards longer term. Hopefully it will pay off eventually.

what is a non event to you? i'll be satisfied with 2-3 inches of lying snow. also, in the West, more often than not, these events are fleeting - at least where i live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Meteireann have a warning out; 3-5cm in Ulster and Connaught tonight.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

rc28 wrote: »
    Meteireann have a warning out; 3-5cm in Ulster and Connaught tonight.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Seems a bit optimistic to me, temps in the NW are still at 9°C
    Sodden ground, strong winds, does not 3-5 cm accumulations make.

Snow here in the east has gone to a possibility close to 0% imho

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

what is a non event to you? i'll be satisfied with 2-3 inches of lying snow. also, in the West, more often than not, these events are fleeting - at least where i live.

They are more often than not fleeting in any part of Ireland away from high ground I would imagine. I too would be statisfied with 2-3 inches of snow, but the reason I think this would be a non event is that I cant see 2cm falling not mind 2 inches!! Temps here is still 4.8c, although falling very slowly with occasional squally showers. Nothing too dramatic, yet anyway.

What part of the West are you in anyway?

I watched Evelyns late night forecast and she mentioned snow several tmes, there were also dark snow symbols over the east tonight and again tomorrow somehow I cant see this happening? Is Evelyn a bit optimistic?

I watched Evelyns late night forecast and she mentioned snow several tmes, there were also dark snow symbols over the east tonight and again tomorrow somehow I cant see this happening? Is Evelyn a bit optimistic?

the odd shower might get through to the east but the frequent showers will be in the west and north west

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    They are more often than not fleeting in any part of Ireland away from high ground I would imagine. I too would be statisfied with 2-3 inches of snow, but the reason I think this would be a non event is that I cant see 2cm falling not mind 2 inches!! Temps here is still 4.8c, although falling very slowly with occasional squally showers. Nothing too dramatic, yet anyway.

What part of the West are you in anyway?

I'm in Mayo.

She tends overly optimistic alright, although she can make the most boring forecast interesting I think. She is a national icon. Anyone who says in a forecast that "the weather is in a bad mood" is ok by my books.:)

Temp actually rising here again with approach of shower. But Who knows what may happen as we all sleep.

I'm in Mayo.

Nice one. Mayo, another hotspot of Celtic Gloom. Well I think you might have a better chance of getting anything tonight than I would in Galway. Enjoy if you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The buoy reports are interesting - M6 - About 210 miles waaay out west in the middle of the gulf stream is reporting 5.5c and 1.7dp. http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

Not a bad report for such a location. Hopefully this airmass hits before 8am :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement