Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG U990 (touchscreen)

• 20-01-2008 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hey

I've had this phone for about a week. Does anyone else have one?

It's beautiful to look at, and fun to play with (especially the little vibration when you touch the screen), but it has quite a few annoying negative points.

1. The battery is poor. You need to charge it roughly every day and a half. I don't make a lot of phone calls.
    2. Scrolling. This is a huge problem. If you have a menu where you need to scroll down, you need to either awkwardly use the cameras zoom lense to scroll down, or kind of roll your finger along the screen hoping it will scroll. Neither system works well. They should have just included scroll bars...
    3. Texting. Firstly it's difficult to text on a touchscreen anyway, but there could be improvements. For example, when I want to type "in" don't show me 46 first. Or if I've added "Hello" to the dictionary don't always put a capital H at the start when I include this word.
    4. The phone lock is a bit insane. You have about 2 seconds to use the phone after unlocking it before it'll lock itself again.

All my previous phones were Nokia. They are definitely better phones.

If I could go back in time, I would get the Nokia N95 instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cgwils

Is that still what you're feeling about the U990, or has your experience changed? I am going to buy one next week but your message is getting me worried.

Features I am looking for are: Good camera (5 mp) with flash and good video recording, nice looking phone (not an N95!), and ability to open pdf and doc files, play mp3 as well as bluetoothing whatever to any other device. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I have the LG and love it. It was a little awkward at first but then it works so differently to any other phone I've had before that was to be expected. I text a lot and find that I have to charge my phone maybe once mid week and again at the weekend so the charge is ok. As for the text option, I've fallen in love with the QWERTY touch pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Hey

I've had this phone for about a week. Does anyone else have one?

It's beautiful to look at, and fun to play with (especially the little vibration when you touch the screen), but it has quite a few annoying negative points.

1. The battery is poor. You need to charge it roughly every day and a half. I don't make a lot of phone calls.

Agree it could be better but is a lot better than my Nokia e65 battery

2. Scrolling. This is a huge problem. If you have a menu where you need to scroll down, you need to either awkwardly use the cameras zoom lense to scroll down, or kind of roll your finger along the screen hoping it will scroll. Neither system works well. They should have just included scroll bars...

It works well once you get used to it, a simple flick on the screen does the trick, takes pratice..

3. Texting. Firstly it's difficult to text on a touchscreen anyway, but there could be improvements. For example, when I want to type "in" don't show me 46 first. Or if I've added "Hello" to the dictionary don't always put a capital H at the start when I include this word.

I love using the on screen query keyboard, find it very easy to use for texting that way..

4. The phone lock is a bit insane. You have about 2 seconds to use the phone after unlocking it before it'll lock itself again.

You can change that in the setting

OP yes it's a very good phone, I've used it for nearly a year, it will open your doc and excl, you won't be able to edit them on the phone but it's fine for viewing....It takes a bit of getting used to but if you stick with it you'll be more than happy....
    I think it's an excellent phone and it's for pennys now on bill pay....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

OP yes it's a very good phone, I've used it for nearly a year, it will open your doc and excl, you won't be able to edit them on the phone but it's fine for viewing....It takes a bit of getting used to but if you stick with it you'll be more than happy....
    I think it's an excellent phone and it's for pennys now on bill pay....

I agree and got mine for €90.00 with 3 mobile. Did I mention that I love the phone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Have you looked at the Samsung Tocco touchscreen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

dlambirl wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Samsung Tocco touchscreen?

If you're recommending a Samsung touch-screen handset the I'd recommend the Samsung Omnia (i900) as it is a much better handset overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    If you're recommending a Samsung touch-screen handset the I'd recommend the Samsung Omnia (i900) as it is a much better handset overall.
    agree, I love mine! You get use to the quirks in no time and it's a very capable PDA to boot.

(I really like how you can turn off the phone but still use the PDA, camera, Wifi, MP3 player, bluetooth and GPS if needed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

I'm thinking of getting a U990 today. My W910i (Which, I must say is a fantastic phone) is giving me troubles.

Is the U990 HSDPA do we know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fattestman wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a U990 today. My W910i (Which, I must say is a fantastic phone) is giving me troubles.

Is the U990 HSDPA do we know?

Yes it's HSDPA, it's pretty quick on the internet and displays pages well,, is the w910i still in warranty, might be worth getting it repaired either way, nice phone...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Yeah, it's still in warranty.

My contract's up though and I want a new toy. I haven't really used the Walkman on the w910i so I thought I'd go for a camera phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement