Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Help Needed

Options
  • 20-01-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hoping somebody can help me....

We ordered Eircom 2MB Broadband, and had our router [Silver Netopia 2247NWG-VGx] delivered as normal. When my dad went to connect it to our desktop PC it would not work, even after the eircom support then guided him through the installation on the phone. The Eircom customer support guy said i was something to do with the network card and that he should contact Dell. He was not at all helpful.

However today I then had a go at setting it up on both my brother's, and my own, laptop. I was able to do this, and now both laptops have full connectivity, through both Ethernet cable and wireless.

The desktop however will still not work, and the symptoms(apart of course from it not working!) are that when the ethernet cable is plugged into the Desktop computer none of the Ethernet[1-4] lights light up on the router, (even though when the cable is plugged into either of the laptops an Ethernet light on the router goes green.) The Wireless, DSL, and Internet lights are fully green and non flashing when plugged into the desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Sounds like your desktop does not have a network card. It's a piece of hardware that is built into most uptodate laptops and desktops. You need this to access the internet and can be bought in places like PC World.
    I'm guessing the desktop is pre XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

No, it's a Dell Inspiron 9150, about a year old. How would I find out if it has a Network Card?

Sorry for all the dim questions I'm not that up on Broadband etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Go to Control panel , System , hardware manager and you should see it there

bushy... wrote: »
    Go to Control panel , System , hardware manager and you should see it there

It says Network Adapters and in the expanded menu "Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection"

Thanks lads, found the problem. One of the gold pins had presssed inwards and was no longer flush with the rest. One tweezers later and we've got broadband.

Thanks a million anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement