Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow vista startup

• 20-01-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

anyone have that problem whereby it takes the wireless connection about 30/40 seconds to remove the exclamation mark in it when loading desktop in vista?

I noticed the workstation service is taking ages to start.

disabled all startup programs and antivirus and windows defender but it still persists to delay.

beginning to remind me of xp all over again this:)
    might have to eat my own words yet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Waiting for an IP address by DHCP can sometimes slow things down. Try assigning a static IP address (out of DHCP range and not in use by another machine) to see if that solves the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It not vista's fault, its just a dhcp server thats slow to assign your network card an ip. As ethernet suggested, assign a static ip or post the output of ipconfig /all & i'll talk you through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I'm pretty sure im aquiring and connecting to the network faster at startup with SP1 (RC).

I wouldnt suggest you move to SP1 until it's final public release, but its just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

its not a slow dhcp server lads.
    its something else I cant quite put my finger on.

I have tried putting a static ip in but made no difference.

Its takes like ages "identifying network"!
    like who gives a **** what network i'm on.i'm on the internet for fook sake!

read somewhere that by installling VMWARE 2.0 it helps so I'm gonna give that a try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It not vista's fault, its just a dhcp server thats slow to assign your network card an ip. As ethernet suggested, assign a static ip or post the output of ipconfig /all & i'll talk you through it.
    Windows is a very slow DHCP client.
    No idea why, and it's not a startup thing , you get it when you unplug and replug the network cable too.

I;ve never seen a Access point or broadband router that couldn't beat a windows server when it came to handing out IP's on the same LAN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Ive had to disable the workstation service.
    Because this is a home pc I wont be needing this or services dependant on it.
    €250 o/s and it has a baby joining a network.Thats a disgrace.
    Worst thing is I bought OEM so i'm not sure theyll give a refund.
    sad sad day for MS in my book.

Advertisement