Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting .avi onto a DVD (with menus)

• 20-01-2008 4:33pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My laptop has a burner and came with Roxio Creator DE, but for whatever stupid reason it tells me I need to upgrade to actually burn discs using the programme.

I'm looking to transfer a few .avi files onto a DVD so they can be watched in a regular DVD player - I also want it so they can be selected on a menu of some kind by whoever is watching the DVD... does anyone know of a programme or method to make this happen?

I tried using ImgBurn, turning the files into a disc image and then burning the image onto a disc, but while it played OK the videos started playing automatically (no menu came up first for me to pick which video to play) and they were on the disc in a weird order.

Any help in solving this is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Full version of Nero will do that or if your on OSX, Toast Titanium does the job perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Nero Vision is a good easy way to do it. I'd also recommend Ulead DVD Movie Factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

flogen wrote: »
    My laptop has a burner and came with Roxio Creator DE, but for whatever stupid reason it tells me I need to upgrade to actually burn discs using the programme.

I'm looking to transfer a few .avi files onto a DVD so they can be watched in a regular DVD player - I also want it so they can be selected on a menu of some kind by whoever is watching the DVD... does anyone know of a programme or method to make this happen?

I tried using ImgBurn, turning the files into a disc image and then burning the image onto a disc, but while it played OK the videos started playing automatically (no menu came up first for me to pick which video to play) and they were on the disc in a weird order.

Any help in solving this is appreciated.

I had this same problem getting .avi to DVD and after lots of trial and error found 'ConvertXtoDVD' which does all the jobs you mentioned.

I burned 3 .avi episodes of a kids show with a menu and even put up a background picture of my child onto the menu screen.
    Reasonably priced as well: http://www.vso-software.fr/shop.php

I would check if it is compatible with the OS that your using though, it works fine in XP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

WinAVI is good for converting video formats to DVD.. as for menus its been years and I gave up making them but I think I used TMPGenc or similar, I didnt find it to reliable though so gave up in the end and just burned them as straight DVDs.

I think iv used the VSO Software recommended above in the past, DivXtoDVD was the old name.

Advertisement