Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applied Maths

• 20-01-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey Guys, I am in 5th year at the moment,
    I am doing it as an extra subject
    i found Applied Maths pretty hard,
    the teacher goes though things really fast,
    and she only does questions from the exam papers.
    I got this brown book, was hoping to kinda learn the basics myself but it didn't go so well.

i do higher Maths and but I don't have physics,:(
    well the others all do physics ( maybe it is just that
    i am not clever enough :rolleyes:..?depressing..

any advice guys? I would put in the work,and i want a good grade ..

much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lol, why do you always start a new line after commas and full stops? makes it look like a poem...

Learning by doing, i.e., just doing questions from exam papers is a pretty standard way of learning applied maths. There's very little in the way of rote-learning or 'theory' (though understanding the theory will really help) and it's more about method and being able to do the questions.

The brown book is quite good to get you started on the topics, but it's not by any means exhaustive in it's explanations so you'll need some kind of other source of help, either friends also doing app maths (always good to get help from people at the same level as you, getting competitive is good too), grinds or the interwebz.

I know when I was going through the brown book there was quite a few questions that I just couldn't get by simply looking back over the examples provided, so don't be worried if that's the case, but do make a good effort to work things out on your own first, as that way you'll remember them.

Not doing physics shouldn't be much of a problem, just make a good effort to understand the topics and you'll be fine.

If you feel your teacher is going too fast ask him/her to slow down, ask questions in class about things you're having problems with.

It sounds like you're very willing to put the work in, so I think it should be very doable for you as long as you have a few sources of help for when you get stuck (let's face it, we all get stuck from time to time, don't let it get you down). You can always post questions here on boards and someone will probably lend you a hand.

hope that helped, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

my teacher at the moment is oliver murphy (the guy who wrote the brown book), so thats pretty good for me. but yea, once you get to january in sixth year you should be finished the course and be ready for revision, especially if your teacher is moving fast.

just don't worry about it. you wont get a bad mark in ap. maths. just try stay at the same standard as the rest of people in your class and you'll do great. you definately wont get less than a C, unless you are hopeless at it. but nobodys hopeless at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Challenged

Apple Pie,

I know exactly what you mean. There seems to be no book where the subject is built up gradually from the basics. In fifth year you should be coming to terms with the basics and not bothering with LC questions until the end of fifth year and sixth year. It is a 2 year course even though if you are very bright you can do it in one year. I'll do some reasearch to locate some basic fifth year notes and put them up on the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hmm, maybe I'm the exception here but my teacher never worked out of a book, we started on the ordinary level papers and once we finished those we moved onto the higher level ones...

and jaycummins people fail app maths every year...

In fact last time I checked the stats, it has the lowest number of Bs, with most people getting either very high marks or very low marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 o applepie o

cocoa wrote: »
    In fact last time I checked the stats, it has the lowest number of Bs, with most people getting either very high marks or very low marks.

thank you so much cocoa. thanks for your advice, that's really nice of you :D and i actually cudn't stop laughing when i saw ur " like a poem..."comment..

yea! you either get very high marks or very low marks O_O it so depressing,i just don't seem to get a hang of this subject at all ...

Challenged wrote: »
    Apple Pie,

I know exactly what you mean. There seems to be no book where the subject is built up gradually from the basics. In fifth year you should be coming to terms with the basics and not bothering with LC questions until the end of fifth year and sixth year. It is a 2 year course even though if you are very bright you can do it in one year. I'll do some reasearch to locate some basic fifth year notes and put them up on the web.

thanks, :( we got the collisions, accelerated liner motion done ( as the teacher said - - ) but when i got the book it kinda different than what i been taught from the teacher ... but i mean i wudn't be able to do them questions on my own at all..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 o applepie o

jaycummins wrote: »
    my teacher at the moment is oliver murphy (the guy who wrote the brown book), so thats pretty good for me. but yea, once you get to january in sixth year you should be finished the course and be ready for revision, especially if your teacher is moving fast.

just don't worry about it. you wont get a bad mark in ap. maths. just try stay at the same standard as the rest of people in your class and you'll do great. you definately wont get less than a C, unless you are hopeless at it. but nobodys hopeless at it.

aw lucky you ,sure he is a great teacher..=)
    ah well the only reason i do this subject is for the points, i heard it easy to get a good grade on..but the reality is ...><
    well me and the other girl in the class often felt so stupid coz the lads always gets everything, they just brainy acts ... i be there feeling miserable ..lol

Advertisement