Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using fresh water fire hose as car wash - cheeky or irresponsible?

• 20-01-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭

Speaking hypothetically here...

If you lived in an apartment, had an underground car parking space with proper drainage and there just happened to be one of the red fire hoses with a reel on the wall which unlike a fire extinguisher, has constant water flowing into it and it was next to your car..... would you use it to wash your car? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Never been in that situation but I could give it a go alright.
    I never use car wash as it makes too many marks on the paint, so i always jet-wash the car.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

AFAIK, its illegal to use an extinguishing device in a public area, unless there is danger or you have qualified experience using it. Plus, dont they come from a tank as oppose to a mains supply?

Personally, if I could, Id do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭MarkN

antodeco wrote: »
    AFAIK, its illegal to use an extinguishing device in a public area, Plus, dont they come from a tank as oppose to a mains supply?

That's my main concern, I don't want to break the law and I certainly don't want to put lives at risk for something so stupid but it is so close to the car I just thought I'd ask you lot! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't these things have a fair amount of pressure/volume behind them?

I don't think they were designed with washing cars in mind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

peasant wrote: »

I don't think they were designed with washing cars in mind.

True! Unless you want a silver car...:p

• Advertisement

They wouldn't be as forced/powerful as a Karcher jet wash.

Nothing even like the power out of a fire engine or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

no more than an industrial jet wash really. The really powerful ones are fire hydrants that the fire brigade access from manhole covers, then they run the water through pumps on the trucks. Those ones would blow you into the middle of next week. I think the one's the OP is talking about are the ones you see in hotel, college and hospital corridors... Like big, red, souped-up hoselock reels.

OP: Understandable, yet still illegal, and I guarantee you'd be reported by anyone that would see you doing it. Similar sort of rules apply here as with life-rings that you'd find on waterways and beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

antodeco wrote: »
    True! Unless you want a silver car...:p

Suitable for a DeLorean! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres also a slight chance that using it could turn on the fire alarm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd say it was a definite no-no myself. Say, for example you damaged it somehow, and then when the apartment block was burning down, the fire brigade couldn't connect to it, you'd be pretty pissed. Stay well away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

MarkN wrote: »
    Speaking hypothetically here...

If you lived in an apartment, had an underground car parking space with proper drainage and there just happened to be one of the red fire hoses with a reel on the wall which unlike a fire extinguisher, has constant water flowing into it and it was next to your car..... would you use it to wash your car? :D

Mark what the fvck?! Of course you wouldn't - you'd be stupid to even think about it IMHO, as Alun said you could be putting lives at risk

Can't believe you had to ask that :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

How on earth would it be illegal ??

Its not like a fire extinguisher where you would be using the water/foam/powder and then it would run out.

Its a hose connected to the mains. Why would you have a fire hose conencted to a tank?? (which could run out, not very useful in the event of a fire)

Use it away if you want. Infact you might actually keep the pipes clear by using it.

As well if people see you regularly using it at least they will actually know that it works and what kind of pressure comes out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Alun wrote: »
    That reference is to a fire hydrant - not a fire hose reel. Two totally seperate things. Regardless its would be very foolish to try using the hose reel. Dunno if illegal but definitely irresponsible. Imagine the (remote) possibility that the fire brigade needed to use the hose reel and u were messing around with it to wash your car. Also, if you live in an apartment block- the managment company wouldn't be pleased. Ur managment fee must pay for the up keep of those kinda things......?

Some good replies to this - thought people might just downright flip and that would be it.

Alun's point is valid though, I'm not sure how I could break it but something could happen I suppose.

Just such a temptation to grab a quick rinse and put it back but the life ring comparison is a good one and I would be very annoyed to see someone mess with one of them.

I'll probably stick with my Karcher, I just have to use it over the other side of the city - it would be nice for apartments where suitable, to have taps to connect a hose to.

Just to clarify this is what I am talking about.

Fire-Hose-Reel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭youtheman

I wouldn't touch it, regardless of what the regulations say. I believe it would give the wrong impression altogether. If you were walking along the coast and you someone messing with a life buoy what would you think?.

What if you don't manage to re-set it and it fails to work in a real life-and-death situation.

It's a piece of life saving equipment, and should be treated so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Legal or not, your only causing unnessary wear.
    DON'T DO IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Useing this will more than likely set off the fire alarm, as a lot of these hoses are hooked into the sprinkler systems of buildings.

So if you were to set it off, it would be one very costly car wash,as you would more than likely have to pay for the Fire Service callout..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,015 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chief--- wrote: »
    I had this problem at work. Some of the lads were using a fire hose to wash their cars. When I was appointed to a managerial position, I informed them that I wasn't permitting the practise to continue. There was a bit of grumbling about it as the previous manager had turned a blind eye. To back up my position, I consulted the Fire Officer. He said that it was illegal to use any fire fighting equipment for any purpose other than for fighting a fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

you could always say you thought your car was on fire :D

I would do it if I was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Using someone else's property without permission is by definition illegal.
    Use it away if you want. Infact you might actually keep the pipes clear by using it.

As well if people see you regularly using it at least they will actually know that it works and what kind of pressure comes out of it.

Any equipment installed for fire/emergency use has to be fully certified and should be inspected at set intervals.

At the very least if the management company found out someone had used it without good reason they would be obliged to have it inspected ASAP to ensure it was not damaged and they would have every right to charge the user for the cost of the inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

In my work place, there's one of them in the back yard, the staff use it to clean the area down after they finish work. It is attached to the water mains so it doesn't run out. In my eyes this is an acceptable use, but if the reel was in a public area like in the OP's case, i wouldn't use it for cleaning the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We used the ones in the Students' Union at college for a walkout protest carnival a few months back. You'd have to notify the fire brigade of your intent to use it so they wouldn't come roaring down with 5 or 6 appliances to put out a non existant fire. The pressure ain't all that out of them.....but they sure are cold.....soaked head to toe I was:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

the hose would be supplied from a reservoir within the development to supply a lot of water in an emergency. this reservoir is kept topped up by the public main.

if you were caught misusing this reservoir the consequences from the management company, police and fire brigade could be devestating. fines, jail and eviction are all possible.

Now will you calm down a minute littlejukka !

What judge in the name of God is going to send someone to prison for using a fire water hose to wash their car. :rolleyes: Management companies do very little at the best of times, getting caught up in the law is not going to be something that will interest them.

I have decided against using it but in my eyes and possibly the law is any car park that has closed access to the public unless you have a swipe/fob to get in not fall under private property?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I had this problem at work. Some of the lads were using a fire hose to wash their cars. When I was appointed to a managerial position, I informed them that I wasn't permitting the practise to continue. There was a bit of grumbling about it as the previous manager had turned a blind eye. To back up my position, I consulted the Fire Officer. He said that it was illegal to use any fire fighting equipment for any purpose other than for fighting a fire.

Any links to legislation.

I cant see a management company taking a prosecution over a hose and somebody washing their car.

Spraying poweder fire extinguishers around the inside of an apartment block is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

There is a real downside to using such a hose reel for washing your car; these hose reels (particularly so in older developments) tend to be rarely used, are piped in gun barrel (steel) which does tend to rust internally over time, the resultant stagnant water can contain some rust and scale and I wouldn't like to use this to wash my car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Alun wrote: »

I think that covered it.

"Any person who interferes with, damages or obstructs a fire hydrant or any apparatus for drawing water from a main for the purpose of fire-fighting otherwise than in connection with operations of a fire brigade or for any purpose authorised by the sanitary authority shall be guilty of an offence."

Seems to apply here.

In fairness, management company itself probably wouldn't care too much about it but all it takes is for one nosey/grumpy neighbour to report you for it and there goes your cheap and handy car wash.

Advertisement