Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography "gems" in Galway City?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Posted this in the photography forum too but figured might get better response here....we'll see....

I'm heading off to a "cityscape" photography school in Galway City in a couple of weeks. Now, I know Galway pretty well...Shoppe St...Saturday Market, etc. etc. but I'm looking for any hidden gems....particular streets, shopfronts, alleys, whatever....can anybody suggest anything?

(I know....describing photo opportunities is like dancing about architecture....to steal a phrase!)

Thanks - JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

circular road, in dangan/bushypark, can see the whole city from there, looks real cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try the walkway between Wolfw Tone, O'Briens, and Salmon Weir Bridges at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

Fey! wrote: »
    Try the walkway between Wolfw Tone, O'Briens, and Salmon Weir Bridges at night.

Beyond Jury's Inn...across the bridge....is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    circular road, in dangan/bushypark, can see the whole city from there, looks real cool

Clearly don't know Galway as well as I imagined....where's that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Lough Atalia is one of my favorites for beautiful/horribly ugly contrast... just across the road from the Eye Cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I fear Pat O Connor has done it all already :D

http://www.patoconnor.org/

pixaria.image.php?file=L2hvbWUvd2VzdGVybmUvZG9tYWlucy9wYXRvY29ubm9yLm9yZy9wdWJsaWNfaHRtbC9yZXNvdXJjZXMvbGlicmFyeS9mYXVuYS82MzB4NjMwL3ZjdXJpb3VzLXN3YW4uanBn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Is he the guy from the market? I love that particular photo.

OP; the walkway I mentioned is indeed the one that runs beside Jurys. The Dangan shot is essentially from a high road behind Dunnes in Westside (not a bad part of the city to live in!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fey! wrote: »
    Is he the guy from the market? I love that particular photo.

OP; the walkway I mentioned is indeed the one that runs beside Jurys. The Dangan shot is essentially from a high road behind Dunnes in Westside (not a bad part of the city to live in!).

Yup he does be down the market, legend photographer

OP: Try walking along the river/canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

The backgarden of the Convent of Mercy, not always open, but gardens in there with a lot of old masonry from Galway in the Middle ages.

Kind of place medieval fire places and doorways go to die, surrounded by alot of overgrowing plants....atmospheric.

Also Forthill Graveyard down on Lough Atalia Rd near the Harbour Hotel, the graveyard for the true Galway natives, the auld shtock!

Try the Commercial Boat Club down in Woodquay. Might be a few opps there with old boats, reeds etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sponge Bob wrote: »

http://www.patoconnor.org/

pixaria.image.php?file=L2hvbWUvd2VzdGVybmUvZG9tYWlucy9wYXRvY29ubm9yLm9yZy9wdWJsaWNfaHRtbC9yZXNvdXJjZXMvbGlicmFyeS9mYXVuYS82MzB4NjMwL3ZjdXJpb3VzLXN3YW4uanBn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=argCvDpk_KQ tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The backgarden of the Convent of Mercy, not always open, but gardens in there with a lot of old masonry from Galway in the Middle ages.

Where's that - what street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Street - Newtownsmyth

Where, in case you might not be from Galway.... Upper Abbeygate Street to the Salmon Weir.

The Convent is the large ecclesiastical looking building on the Salmon Weir Bridge. The entrance is near the back entrance to the canal walkway. I'm sure if u were to call to the convent's main entrance - on Francis St, gate at traffic lights near courthouse -and ask if it would be possible to look around they would let you.

There should also cloisters if i remember correctly having once seen a photo of them. I know they were attached to the old convent, but may have been removed when it was rebuilt. The place has a number of old carved stone doorways, not as grand as Browne's Doorway, and funerary monuments all carved from stone. Dont know either if it is as overgrown as it once was either, cool place as kids!

I think electric gates were put up on the Newtownsmyth side a couple of years ago cause the place had become a favourite for bushing...so that's why they might not always be open.

Another venue slap bang in the centre of the city, but often overlooked, is St Nicholas'. Interior, exterior, graveyard, all potentially great shots. For me the essence of Galway is not in the Swans at Claddagh or our lone heron - nice as they are - but in it's buildings & monuments, particularly the stone ones of a certain period.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

jwb1 wrote: »
    Clearly don't know Galway as well as I imagined....where's that exactly?

basically find the westwood hotel and keep going out towards moycullen direction for about a 3 min walk,its a small country road(which opens into a load of really nice houses!) on the left, its directly after the estate called dangan heights.

nice during the day, wicked on a clear night!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Galvian, I think the place you're thinking of is actually the garden of the Franciscan friary / church, though one of the Mercy buildings may have a fire exit on to it as well. Wedged in between the Convent proper and the secondary school, with a gate under Arus de Brun to get into it?

Advertisement