Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a non-3 E51 on 3 network

• 20-01-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Nokia E51 (probably from technikdirekt.de) for my partner. She's on the 3 Ireland network, using an LG phone supplied by 3. I'm planning to take the 3 SIM out of the LG phone and stick it into the E51.

In theory this should work OK because the Nokia has UMTS 2100, which I believe is what 3 Ireland use. Anybody know if her old SIM should work OK in the E51?

The main thing I'm worried about is the roaming between 3 Ireland and Vodafone Ireland. We live out in the sticks, and more often than not her phone uses the Vodafone network. Have 3 got some customised magic in the phones they sell to make this roaming work, or should it still work on a non-3 phone (the E51 does quad-band GSM as well as UMTS)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

she might have problems with the internet etc but calls and texts will be fine. i use a vodafone phone with my 3 sim and always have coverage.

ad if you live in an area with crappy 3 signal but good 2g signal, you can disable 3g. 3g phones will choose a weak 3g signal over a strong 2g one so you can be left with no coverage at all so disabling 3g can give you better coverage. phones with 3 software disable the ability to select 2g only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Anemone wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an unlocked Nokia E51 (probably from technikdirekt.de) for my partner. She's on the 3 Ireland network, using an LG phone supplied by 3. I'm planning to take the 3 SIM out of the LG phone and stick it into the E51.

In theory this should work OK because the Nokia has UMTS 2100, which I believe is what 3 Ireland use. Anybody know if her old SIM should work OK in the E51?

The main thing I'm worried about is the roaming between 3 Ireland and Vodafone Ireland. We live out in the sticks, and more often than not her phone uses the Vodafone network. Have 3 got some customised magic in the phones they sell to make this roaming work, or should it still work on a non-3 phone (the E51 does quad-band GSM as well as UMTS)?

I've used many generic Nokias and Windows mobile devices on 3 and they all work fine, I believe the roaming is controlled by the SIM, they have doctored it so that "Vodafone" displays as "3" when roaming

Advertisement