Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration for DT249?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 5:45pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when people can register for DT249 part time? I went in 2 weeks ago and they told me they'd be sending out a letter but considering the course starts tomorrow week, they're leaving it a bit late. I'll give them a call tomorrow, just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat and knew more information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you might (or mightn't) get better info from the course's chairperson Ciarán O'Leary.

his contact details are:

Mr. Ciarán O'Leary
    School of Computing
    Dublin Institute of Technology
    Kevin Street
    Dublin 8
    Ireland

Tel: +353 1 402 4718
    Fax: +353 1 402 4985
    Email: ciaran.oleary@comp.dit.ie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've talked to him. He told me I could register at any time but when I went to register at the Registration Office in Kevin St, they told me what I said above. Nice and organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

email ciaran and he should be able to sort you out no problem. he sorted me out without me even having to do any work with admissions, bar giving them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

get used to things in DIT been late, you'll prob get the letter the week after registration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

A lecturer can't get you registered, the registration office are the only ones who can do that so its irrelevant what Ciaran O'Leary tells you.

Try kevin.registrations@dit.ie or call back up to the office again.

• Advertisement

It appears that it'll be on Wednesday 30th from 6.30 til 8, in case anyone else is registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The class should commence back on the tuesday the 29th (according to the timetable).

But if you're referring to the registrations office then ignore that :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I was looking to do this course too. Will I have to wait until September to register again or are they still excepting applications?

According to the website (http://www.comp.dit.ie/DT249/), they're accepting for September.

Damn! It was staring me in the face at the top of the DT249 page :o

Btw did you start the course last week for the first time? If so what were your first impressions of it?

• Advertisement

Yeah, just started on Thursday so I've only had one class. It's fairly accelerated, most classes being three hours long but it's pretty handy.

feylya wrote: »
    Yeah, just started on Thursday so I've only had one class. It's fairly accelerated, most classes being three hours long but it's pretty handy.

are you starting in first year?

3rd. I have other qualifications which let me skip the first 2 years.

3rd. I have other qualifications which let me skip the first 2 years.

and why start the second semester and not the first?

i'm just curious :)

My circumstances changed which allowed me to attend an evening course. I decided to start asap rather than wait 10 months+

Edit: Just to clarify, I started on Semester 2 of stage 3 but I'll be doing Semester 1 of Stage 3 in September '08 followed by Semester 2 of Stage 4 in January '09 then returning to do Semester 1 of Stage 4 in September '09. Confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Maybe his qualifications allowed him skip the 1st 2 1/2 years :-o
    I was just looking at that website and wondering, is 249 basically a much easier way to get an honours degree than 228? On the site it says for example, 2 or 3 evenings per week. Whereas in 2nd year of 228 we had to do 11 subjects in total, 5 days a week, 9am-6pm some days. How can they both lead to a 4 year honours degree?

Maybe his qualifications allowed him skip the 1st 2 1/2 years :-o
    I was just looking at that website and wondering, is 249 basically a much easier way to get an honours degree than 228? On the site it says for example, 2 or 3 evenings per week. Whereas in 2nd year of 228 we had to do 11 subjects in total, 5 days a week, 9am-6pm some days. How can they both lead to a 4 year honours degree?

at the end you don't have a degree in "computer science" though. with that in mind, having done some of 228, taken a year out and returned to 249, i can safely say it's a well-earned degree. software engineering, when i did it in 228 spanned an entire years worth of material, but one semester of the same course (software eng 2) in 249 covered a lot more material. web developments final project was a web store, database and all... whereas in 228 it was a simple 5-page javascript store.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

I finished DT249 last summer.

They made it longer last year than in previous years.

I was lucky I didn't have to go on the new course.

Its not a bad course.

I know on the new course some of the programming modules are 70% CA and only 30% exam so if you are into programming then look at them modules.

Lecturers are decent enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

at the end you don't have a degree in "computer science" though. with that in mind, having done some of 228, taken a year out and returned to 249, i can safely say it's a well-earned degree. software engineering, when i did it in 228 spanned an entire years worth of material, but one semester of the same course (software eng 2) in 249 covered a lot more material. web developments final project was a web store, database and all... whereas in 228 it was a simple 5-page javascript store.

Not sure what you mean by a simple 5 page javascript store, or what module of the course your talking about. The web development module of 3rd year ie (ie with cindy liu) is Java Server Pages. And in the final year (ie 4th) its servlets. Maybe your talking about second year, in which case your right but this is not the final project (?) This is 228 im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

for second year last year in web dev, we had to build a book store using php/mysql(or other)/AJAX whilst learning html/css/javascript/php/ajax all in one semester. this is 228 as well i'm talking about.

• Advertisement

strychnine wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by a simple 5 page javascript store, or what module of the course your talking about. The web development module of 3rd year ie (ie with cindy liu) is Java Server Pages. And in the final year (ie 4th) its servlets. Maybe your talking about second year, in which case your right but this is not the final project (?) This is 228 im talking about.

probably should have specified. yeah, it's 228-2 i was rambling on about :D

So far, my impressions of this course aren't great. 3 nights this week, classes have been cancelled and we only got notification about one of these nights.

So far, my impressions of this course aren't great. 3 nights this week, classes have been cancelled and we only got notification about one of these nights.

Oh dear :( Doesn't sound very organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

ahahha welcome to DIT my friend! I've been here over 4 years now so well used to them. Classes cancelled, class timetables wrong, assignment results wrong, exam timetables wrong, rooms, fees etc, eventually you just get used to it and hope for the best!

indeed. annoying to lug around my lappy only to be turned away, and at such a high registration cost too.

the thing is though, this is not exclusive to dt249. dit - teh win.

my father was studying some night course maths in DIT a year or two ago (he is a former graduate of DIT for a h.dip) and was so appalled by the place that he quit and went elsewhere with his time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread, and probably asking a stupid question but... on the back of my just-posted new thread about accepting a place on DT249 - when you say it's not a degree in "computer science" - is that a bad thing? Is this course much less of a degree so to speak, in comparison to say UCD Bsc Computer Science? (Which I had started way back in 2001, albeit through the BA stream, but like a dzope dropped out of halfway through second year)? I've accepted a place on DT249 as a means to completing a degree in IT education, but is it not a decent bit one?

Advertisement