Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good source of roasted coffee beans in Dublin?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good source of coffee beans in Dublin. I don't mind also if its an e-tailer of coffee beans.

I like to try as many different varieties of coffee as possible also. I've tried all of the brands in Tescos, Dunnes and Superquinn and am looking for something new.

Also, is it possible to buy around a kilo of coffee beans anywhere? When I used to live in Canada, when i found a brand I liked I could just go to costco and buy about a kilo of it.

Other to this, does anywhere stock gourmet flavored coffee beans? Or know of a good place to buy coffee syrups?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There's a couple of stickies on the main page. One for online resources and one for Bricks and Morter sellers. If you find some alternatives and wish to add them post away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok well I went into the city yesterday to pick up some beans from the retailers listed in the stickie. I kinda got into a bit of coffee buying fever and might of bought too much, lol. Also, after watching those vids Reactor posted in Khannies thread i've a feeling some are going to go stale if I don't use them quickly.

Heres what I got:

Ariosa (Temple bar market): Bag of Sumatra beans, not air sealed so i'll have to get a container for them.

M&D (Georges St. Arcade): 250g of Cuban beans, 250g of San Augustin. They are kind enough there to actually air seal these bags so I shouldn't have to worry about them.

Fallon & Byrne (Exchequer St): Can't believe i've never noticed this place before, its huge. Not an extensive selection of coffee but they do have coffee grinders fairly cheap, and a good range of biscuits and chocolates to eat with coffee. Ended up getting a bag of organic peruvian beans.

Thanks for the advice. Once I get through this lot i'll make it a weekly thing to pop into the city (the new swords express gets you in in around 25 minutes) and pick up some fresh roasted beans.

Good stuff. Let us know what you think.

Currently making my way through the Sumatran beans. They have a very different taste to what i'm used to. I wouldn't really class them as an everyday bean, more a desert bean.

They have a sort of walnut sweetness to them, so much so that you really can't mix milk with it (I know, sacrilege) Prior I always had milk in my coffee as the supermarket ground coffee was always a little too bitter. But these sumatran beans are sweet enough on their own that adding milk or sugar just dulls the taste.

The wife made some coffee the other morning and I almost spat it out it was so horrible. I asked her what she did wrong and she said she was just using up the bewleys ground coffee we had yet to finish. Compared to the beans I got in town it was horrible, really bitter and in need of loads of sugar and milk to mask the taste, but I guess I hadn't noticed before`as it was all I knew.

If anyone has tried any of the other beans i've bought i'd be interested to hear your opinions on them.

See if you notice much of a difference between the ariosa beans and Fallon & Byrnes. There was suspicions that they were one and the same.

I have also tried M&D's cuban. The coffee I had was dark roasted and was very good, I'm a big fan of cuban's anyway though, kinda prefer a light city roast now though.

Are you drinking espresso or filter coffee? Is it just the machine electric brewed, I've seen your other thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Like Mr Magnolia, I purchased M&D's Cuban beans weekly until
    I started roasting my own. I was rather fond of them, especially
    if you can get a fresh batch, but the roast is pretty dark. I now
    roast a couple of batches of Cuban a week myself and end the
    roasting before it gets as dark as M&D's - prefer to taste the bean
    as opposed to the roast.

I tried Fallon & Byrne's a couple of times, but whilst I couldn't find anything
    bad or wrong with it I didn't find anything special or unique about it.

L31mr0d, sounds like you need to invest in some storage containers for
    all your beans! I recommend mason/canning jars.

I recommend mason/canning jars.

know anywhere I could get them?

Oh and i'm yes, i'm brewing it using the filter coffee machine

Advertisement