Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Q's

Options
  • 20-01-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into getting mobile broadband for the laptop. The issue is that I'll be in the UK for the next 6 months, then back in Ireland after that. On paper 3G seems to be the best provider (although the sticky suggests otherwise), best price and coverage. This is in Ireland however, and their deals in the UK seem to be much worse (£15 a month for a 5GB cap).

What I'm asking does anyone have experience going from the UK to Ireland with mobile broadband and which provider is the best. I couldn't get a clear explanation about the roaming charges on the sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I think you'll be looking at international data roaming rates no matter which provider you pick and I don't need to tell you that means needing a spare million lying in your bank account to pay for it. Your best bet is using a local provider where you are but it could be awkward if they're insisting on a 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

3 let you roam for free to certain countries ("3 Like Home"), UK is one of them. €20 for 10GB of mobile data is reasonable, though you have to factor in the price of the modem too. High speed coverage in the UK is not as good as Ireland http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/rollout_map.omp

In practice, performance varies a LOT depending on location and time of day. There is no way to be certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yea, been looking at this. Seems my only viable option, but I'm put off by the very large thread describing the poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

I use my three broadband everytime I go to england.. the service was bad early last year.. but it's better now... and if your in london its great.. and it's included in my 20 euro a month

Advertisement