Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degreaser?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 6:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are good degreasers that you can buy in motor stores or diy outlets in Dublin?

Chain and gearing duties in this mucky weather.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Planet X wrote: »
    What are good degreasers that you can buy in motor stores or diy outlets in Dublin?

Chain and gearing duties in this mucky weather.

Cheers.

I just use white spirits as recommended by someone here a while ago. On the mtb i have a split link on the chain so I just take it off and dunk it into a jar of white spirits and let the dirt settle: voila, clean chain! Take the cassette off and do the same with a larger container. Use a paint brush on the trickier areas and then wash it down with water. clean bike for less than a euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You can buy 1L (I think) "bottles" (looks like a can, pours like a bottle) of Finish Line degreaser in Cyclelogical on the quays, and presumably in other bike shops too. I find that it works very well - I use it with a chain cleaning tool (Finish Line too, but any decent brand will do - mine is a bit like this one: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-cleaner.htm) and it makes life a *lot* easier. I used to remove my chain and use other stuff, like white spirits, but it is so easy and quick with a chain cleaning tool that I am more inclined to clean the chain more frequently which can only be a good thing.

The Finish Line degreaser rinses off with water, which is handy, and claims to break down entirely and is therefore relatively environment friendly.

I also have a spray can of Djizer, another degreaser which I bought in some hardware store or other. It works fine too, but not as well as the Finish Line degreaser. I tend to spray it on the chainrings and cassette rings, and it rinses off with water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

i just use car engine degreaser works a charm cleaned my whole bike with it today in about 20 minutes works out a lot cheaper than bike specific brands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

You need to be careful with degreasers that you don't damage rubber seals and plastic parts on the bike. Typically, the bike-specific degreasers are safe to use, but it is worth checking what they say, and for generic degreasers you should definitely check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

anything with muc-off written on it will clean the bike a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wouldn't recommend white spirits as I suspect it might be corrosive.
    My own personal favourite is GUNK, usually available from Halfords. Brush it on with a paint brush and hose it off with plain water.
    http://www.gunk.eu.com/

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement