Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it legal....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Sandwich wrote: »
    Very surprised at that one. Who gave the course and what was the rationale?

I would regularly find my self on the M1 doing 120, overtaking slower traffic (even if they're only doing 115) on the inside lane. I never move over if it means I would have to slow my progress overtaking those in the inside lane - even when vehicles are getting mad behind me and trying hard to blow a headlight bulb. Reasining? I am doing the speed limit, so they cannot (legally) overtake me so therfore no reason to move over. It is also satisfying to think that i am doing my bit to reduce speeding on our rounds. When there is no vehicle within a reasonable distance in the inside lane that would hold me up, then I pullover and let the blighter by.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you're doing its just your whole reasoning thats wrong. Its a shame that some people do think and act like you do. :o

The reason why someone is speeding is to get from A to B quicker, but now that you've slowed them down they'll have to increase their speed to make up for the time they've lost being stuck behind you. So in fact, the only thing you're doing is doing your bit to increase speeding on are roads. :rolleyes:

That kind of reasoing should make perfect sense to you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Morlar wrote: »
    Hypothetical scenarios aside in my experience when this happens its down to selfish drivers who have no impediment to moving across - its simply their selfishness /stubbornness and pc arseholery. If someone was genuinely blocked obvioulsy it would be a different story.

It's not a hypothetical question, it's a very likely case and happens regularly on roads such as busy parts of N11. And nothing wrong with hypothetical questions anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

People only get annoyed when its possible for other drivers to move over and they decide not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

People only get annoyed when its possible for other drivers to move over and they decide not to.

I think that's it in a nutshell!

None of us have the right to police how others behave on the roads - let them past, if you are in no hurry how is it possibly going to effect you??
    If somebody's driving annoys you that much call the hot line and let the people who actually have authority deal with it.

you would assume that wouldn't you? As if people are such sensible drivers all the time.
    Of course, I would get terribly annoyed in a case like that too.
    But there has been occasions that I have been overtaking a line of cars (with very little space between them) at a reasonable speed and have idiots right up my ar*e trying to push me out (to where, I don't know). This is the case I'm referring to, do you think that it's a sensible things for your "people" to do?!

• Advertisement

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    you would assume that wouldn't you? As if people are such sensible drivers all the time.
    Of course, I would get terribly annoyed in a case like that too.
    But there has been occasions that I have been overtaking a line of cars (with very little space between them) at a reasonable speed and have idiots right up my ar*e trying to push me out (to where, I don't know). This is the case I'm referring to, do you think that it's a sensible things for your "people" to do?!

People are supposed to be sensible drivers all the time - if individuals feel that they cannot do that then they should not be on the road!

The best thing to do if someone is behaving like that behind you (and I don't mean you as an individual, you, as in all of us) is to get out of their way as soon as reasonably possible - you will not change their habit by irritating them further.

richie_rvf wrote: »
    People are supposed to be sensible drivers all the time - if individuals feel that they cannot do that then they should not be on the road!

The best thing to do if someone is behaving like that behind you (and I don't mean you as an individual, you, as in all of us) is to get out of their way as soon as reasonably possible - you will not change their habit by irritating them further.

Who said I want to irritate them further? Yes, you're right, but "as reasonably possible" may not be that easy on a very busy road at rush time with very compact line of cars, and especially if there's another car in FRONT of you as well (that the eejit behind you are going to get stuck behind again anyway, and that you're possibly kind of stuck behind them as well but are not harassing them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I would regularly find my self on the M1 doing 120, overtaking slower traffic (even if they're only doing 115) on the inside lane. I never move over if it means I would have to slow my progress overtaking those in the inside lane - even when vehicles are getting mad behind me and trying hard to blow a headlight bulb. Reasining? I am doing the speed limit, so they cannot (legally) overtake me so therfore no reason to move over. It is also satisfying to think that i am doing my bit to reduce speeding on our rounds. When there is no vehicle within a reasonable distance in the inside lane that would hold me up, then I pullover and let the blighter by.
    Your probably trolling but if one of the several Traffic Corp unmarked patrols on that road catch you doing that they will have you for breakfast. Highly irresponsible behaviour.

As for flashing headlights. I use my right indicator. Seldom fails.

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Who said I want to irritate them further? Yes, you're right, but "as reasonably possible" may not be that easy on a very busy road at rush time with very compact line of cars, and especially if there's another car in FRONT of you as well (that the eejit behind you are going to get stuck behind again anyway, and that you're possibly kind of stuck behind them as well but are not harassing them!)

You know, I agree with you, there are always variables, in a case like that then there is nothing that can be done but there are so many drivers that just sit there for no reason other than not knowing how to drive on a motorway.

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Am not doing it to police the roads. Havent read the RTA, but have passed my test unlike much of the driving population. Would appreciate it you could refer me to the section that explains our resposibility to facilitate those who want to break the RTA. And I will stand corrected.
    Or a Gaybo press conference urging drivers to : Be Nice to Speeders - Move Out of Their Way.

From your attitude I would say you've only passed your test recently!!! When you have 20 odd years experience, and alot more than the normal yearly average milage under your belt, you will see the error in your ways. You are effectively trying to police the roads by doing what you say you are doing. In reality all you are achieving is to upset other drivers, whether they are in the wrong or not by speeding is not for you to judge, or try to stop, that's what the garda traffic corp. is for. Anyway within the next few years our dual carriage ways and so called motor ways will be infested with speed cameras. So don't worry about the speeders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement