Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spit or swallow?

• 20-01-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Over on BGRH we had a thread discussing whether it was suitable for the ladies to drink pints of Guinness. True to form, the general consensus was that it was A Bad Thing. :)

One thing that surprised me, though is the amount of ladies who actually drink Guinness. So forgetting about the whole pint/glass debate, what do the distinguished ladies over here think about Guinness as a drink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Don't like it I gotta say. However, the boyf thinks it's hot for me to hold a pint of guinness.....
    It's pretty weird.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Guinness is great for quiet nights out, or a few pints after work.

Big nights out, not so much. It's too heavy.

Hard to get a decent pint though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

LadyJ wrote: »
    Don't like it I gotta say. However, the boyf thinks it's hot for me to hold a pint of guinness.....
    It's pretty weird.....

Ok, that is weird. Where is he from?
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    Guinness is great for quiet nights out, or a few pints after work.

Big nights out, not so much. It's too heavy.

Hard to get a decent pint though.

Agreed, on all counts. I can't remember the last decent pint of Guinness I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, that is weird. Where is he from?

Clare Island, off Mayo. It usually explains a lot.
    He wants to start posting on boards so you can ask him about his crazy fetishes later on. He'll drop by BGRH I'm sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Grogan's on South William St., just opposite Powerscourt. Great pint! And the ham, cheese and onion toasties rock!

Clare Island, off Mayo. It usually explains a lot.

That explains everything.
    He wants to start posting on boards so you can ask him about his crazy fetishes later on. He'll drop by BGRH I'm sure!

I look forward to it. I think.
    feylya wrote: »
    Grogan's on South William St., just opposite Powerscourt. Great pint! And the ham, cheese and onion toasties rock!

Mmm, must pop in there some evening after work. You can't beat a good pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't get it... is the problem with them drinking Guinness, or with them drinking a pint of Guinness? Because to me Guinness in a glass is pretty dumb looking.

Can't understand why it would be odd for a woman to drink Guinness either. It's good for pregnant women.

EDIT: Oh and Gorgan's +1. Just watch out for the crappy art.

Hey, don't diss the art!

I don't get it... is the problem with them drinking Guinness, or with them drinking a pint of Guinness?

The brothers feel that a woman drinking a pint of Guinness is just wrong. A glass, no problem, but a pint of Guinness is a man's thing.

It doesn't make sense, I know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I always think it's a bit strange seeing a woman drinking a pint of Guinness, dunno why, it just looks a bit odd!!

I've only ever tasted it once and wasn't impressed tbh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I've only ever tasted it once and wasn't impressed tbh!!

It's an acquired taste.. you need to get a pint or two in your belly before you learn to love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

cant drink it, had 2 pints of it in my life... not for me.
    however, maybe a few pints of it on a quiet night, you know... battle through and "learn to love it" as monkeyfudge said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

It's an acquired taste.. you need to get a pint or two in your belly before you learn to love it.

Why's that?? After a few pints you're on your way to being p!ssed so can't really taste it anymore?? ;)

That's exactly how I grew to like it. Forced 2 or 3 pints down my gullet and I was hooked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've always drank Guinness, in pints.

Saying 'women drinking pints is a Bad Thing' is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

Ok I'll admit I only started drinking Guinness when there was blackcurrant in it. Shameful I know BUT I'd never even consider that now. Its my favorite drink, except when I'm in Cork and can get a good pint of Murphys. Then Murphy's is my favorite drink!

Silverfish wrote: »
    Saying 'women drinking pints is a Bad Thing' is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.

Pints are fine, pints of Guinness we take issue with:
    Over on BGRH we had a thread discussing whether it was suitable for the ladies to drink pints of Guinness. True to form, the general consensus was that it was A Bad Thing.

And if that's the most ridiculous thing you have heard in your life, perhaps you should drop into BGRH more often - there's plenty more ridiculous than that. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have, regularly, and you're absolutely right.

I now drop this to '8th most ridiculous thing.'

I left guinness out of the sentence as that was what the conversation was relevant to, I didn't think it needed to be spelled out. Clearly, men need stuff spelled out. :)

Silverfish wrote: »
    I have, regularly, and you're absolutely right.

I now drop this to '8th most ridiculous thing.'

I left guinness out of the sentence as that was what the conversation was relevant to, I didn't think it needed to be spelled out. Clearly, men need stuff spelled out. :)

Good woman.

• Advertisement

Pints are fine, pints of Guinness we take issue with:

What is it exactly that is wrong with girls drinking pints of Guinness? So having the pint-glass is fine, having alcohol in the pint-glass is fine but the colour of the liquid in it cannot be dark?!

Men :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Like Guinness, prefer Murphy's and *checks* yep, still have girl parts :rolleyes:

milli wrote: »
    What is it exactly that is wrong with girls drinking pints of Guinness? So having the pint-glass is fine, having alcohol in the pint-glass is fine but the colour of the liquid in it cannot be dark?!

Men :rolleyes:

It's just one of those things that just doesn't seem right. It defies logic. Like most women. :D

*runs for cover*

It's just one of those things that just doesn't seem right. It defies logic. Like most women. :D

*runs for cover*

Ah here - you'll have to come up with something better than that to convince me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Women should not drink Guinness in public, because we all know what Guinness does to the aul tummy....

Guinness farts and then your oh will know that you will be doing a black poop the next day...

Steer clear girls..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The brothers feel that a woman drinking a pint of Guinness is just wrong. A glass, no problem, but a pint of Guinness is a man's thing.

It doesn't make sense, I know. :)

Well as long as you keep your phobia to yourself and don't spoil me enjoying my pint of plain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Double standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Guinness is my usual drink of choice, depending on the venue and quality. I drink pints, it will save me running back up to the bar every few mins. I will drink a half pint only when I have had too much and can't keep up with the rounds :confused: But even still, Guinness in a glass looks very odd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's pretty weird.....

I think you misunderstood him - he probably meant that he likes it when you bring him pints. Otherwise he might be one of those gay homosexuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I hate the stuff and I hear it can do terrible things to your poo.

Advertisement