Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos of your Airsoft equipment (Discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Yep, it's the final 47 prototype before the production model. I actually have pictures of all the prototypes up to the 74, the RPK's, and SKS's. The 46 would be a nice unusual piece I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Awesome AK...Simply awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    Yep, it's the final 47 prototype before the production model. I actually have pictures of all the prototypes up to the 74, the RPK's, and SKS's. The 46 would be a nice unusual piece I think.

Its hard enough to get decent pics actually.

I just did the reinforcements for the rpk today in epoxy, worked quite well, and now I have to consider paints, to get an akm type finish.

But getting pictures to dimension the reinforcements was a pain, too blurry, too small, type in rpk and you get 100 sh1tty results of airsoft "rpk"s that are far from rpks but are from rubbishy airsoft stores trying to scam, "teh newbs".

Rant over, but any way, good luck with the '46 :)

Yeah I had the exact same trouble when I was looking for RPK pics. Nothing but airsoft ones coming up. I'd like to see some pics of your receiver with the work done as I'll be needing to do it myself on my RPK74.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

this site provides good reference for ak47/akm/ak74 differences with good photo reference

http://www.sovietairborne.com/Difference.html

• Advertisement

Puding wrote: »
    this site provides good reference for ak47/akm/ak74 differences with good photo reference

http://www.sovietairborne.com/Difference.html

Nice link.

@fiach I have one or two decent pics of real rpk receivers, I can stick them on photobucket or something.

I made the reinforcements from epoxy, then dremeled out the half moon cuts in the barrel trunnion and will make epoxy "rivets" just rolled balls squashed on a flat surface to make discs but the effect is good enough.

The stock TM receiver I used is plastic so cutting out the half moon shapes was handy enough, will you be using metal?

Edit: its actually more realistic to add material and leave the cut to be the material underneath, but I was impatient and the result looks very good anyway :)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/motosam1/Rpkreceiver.jpg < other pics were on now destroyed laptop

Good link alright Pudding. I was actually on that site last year but forgot to bookmark it.

Very nice job on that receiver Motosam. Looks great!

I was going to be using a metal receiver on my RPK but now I'm thinking I may go with the RMW kit which has the reenforced receiver. That would mean dumping my old RPK though so I'm not sure. I'll have to think it over.

Good link alright Pudding. I was actually on that site last year but forgot to bookmark it.

Very nice job on that receiver Motosam. Looks great!

I was going to be using a metal receiver on my RPK but now I'm thinking I may go with the RMW kit which has the reenforced receiver. That would mean dumping my old RPK though so I'm not sure. I'll have to think it over.

:o thats the pic I based mine on... you said you'd like the pic it was based on.

I hope mine will look similar though, its on its way.

I will probably sell my rpk eventually and start again from scratch, I want to build a cost effective and more importantly accurate model of one based on an akm, real furniture, and a steel front end kit or current conversion kit.

Bar that the rmw one sounds great.

Edit: I emailed them before, Fiach they can sell the receiver on its own if you ask for it, but they were very busy at the time, but when I asked they said they could sell it as a receiver only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

scanlant wrote: »
    Good grief Fiach, that's a sexy looking AK

I couldn't agree more!
    Where did you buy the scope?

That's good news on the RMW receiver Motosam. I thought that was the picture of your RPK, whoops :D

I got the PSO-1 scope from Kalinkaoptics.

• Advertisement

That's good news on the RMW receiver Motosam. I thought that was the picture of your RPK, whoops :D

I got the PSO-1 scope from Kalinkaoptics.

I'm actually delighted how close I got it :D

Needs painting though, any suggestions?

I was told engine enamel for a strong finish but I'd like a realistic stamped receiver look, whatever that is paint wise.

I know a few lads on Red Alliance have achieved a very good effect by using Krylon sprays. Strip all paint from the AEG and lightly sand with a fine grit (220 grit or more.) Give it one or two coats of primer. Then layer it with gloss black, at least 3 coats. A final coat of clear varnish and you should have a very convincing and durable finish.

I know a few lads on Red Alliance have achieved a very good effect by using Krylon sprays. Strip all paint from the AEG and lightly sand with a fine grit (220 grit or more.) Give it one or two coats of primer. Then layer it with gloss black, at least 3 coats. A final coat of clear varnish and you should have a very convincing and durable finish.

This is the plastic receiver though, any issues with that and krylon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i don;t think you should have any problems with that should go on fine

Brilliant :D

Any recommendations on varnish?

Will the receiver be too shiny maybe or is that correct.

Nope, it'll be fine. Some of the newer RPK47's and all the RPK74's have a gloss finish.

Nope, it'll be fine. Some of the newer RPK47's and all the RPK74's have a gloss finish.

New rpk 47's though are polymer correct?

I'm using wood, so what is the older painted finish like?
    They had blued finish, then painted, was all the paint gloss or is there a way to get an older look?

Cold blueing would be the best bet for the older look but since you're using a plastic receiver that's out. It'll have to be paint. You can always go with matt black if you don't want the gloss finish.

Cold blueing would be the best bet for the older look but since you're using a plastic receiver that's out. It'll have to be paint. You can always go with matt black if you don't want the gloss finish.

That would be what I'm wondering, is gloss the only finish they used or do I have a choice of painted finishes, including matt.

Even the early RPK47's had some luster to the finish although not as glossy as the later models (Just going through my real steel pictures.) I'd say going with matt black and then varnish finish would give you the early look.

• Advertisement

Even the early RPK47's had some luster to the finish although not as glossy as the later models (Just going through my real steel pictures.) I'd say going with matt black and then varnish finish would give you the early look.

Matt krylon then, is there any reason to use krylon over a standard enamel matt black spray?

Then a clear varnish, varnish id say any brand would do then?

Not really. I just said Krylon because it's well known. If it's a good quality enamal paint and varnish I don't see a problem.

Back to modding my brothers metal AK47 midcaps that arrived today. I have to mod each one to get it to lock in the Khyber Pass AK :(

Not really. I just said Krylon because it's well known. If it's a good quality enamal paint and varnish I don't see a problem.

Back to modding my brothers metal AK47 midcaps that arrived today. I have to mod each one to get it to lock in the Khyber Pass AK :(

Dboys mag catch then I guess.

Metal mids, nice, where do you get those?

Yep and I'd have to take a huge chunk off the mag catch for them to fit and that would put using other mag brands in doubt so I'm modding the mags instead.

Got them from UNCompany, pack of 6 for $70. Bloody good price and they weigh a ton, 1700grams together. 150 round capacity and they seem very tough. Gonna get some more for myself for my AKM when I get around to picking one up ;)

Yep and I'd have to take a huge chunk off the mag catch for them to fit and that would put using other mag brands in doubt so I'm modding the mags instead.

Got them from UNCompany, pack of 6 for $70. Bloody good price and they weigh a ton, 1700grams together. 150 round capacity and they seem very tough. Gonna get some more for myself for my AKM when I get around to picking one up ;)

6 for 70? Thats mag brand prices nearly but by the sounds of it, for decent metal mags :)

Mag are great for fakelites though.

Yeah MAG are the buisness for the money. We had a box of MAG RPK fakelite's arrive today as well, look great in an AK :D

Yeah MAG are the buisness for the money. We had a box of MAG RPK fakelite's arrive today as well, look great in an AK :D

I'm gonna slap some red varnish on mine soon, get my fakelite's closer to bakelites :D

Isn't it strange that not one Airsoft company has been able to make a convincing Bakelite clone. I'm thinking of picking up RS ones and sticking my VFC mid internals into them, I know from Red Alliance VFC's are one of the most compatable with RS mag cases.

Mag brand are clamshell though right?

No way to get the innards out of them as they are molded into the shell of the mag, at least I guess they are like that.

I think the bad application of red varnish, should do a decent job, having perused the photo's of real bake's on t'internet.

I may do a decent first coat, all over to redden them slightly, then a thicker, but badly applied with a broken brush layer, to get a two tone effect.

• Advertisement

Yep MAG are clamshells. I tryed the varnish trick on a Unicorn Bakelite, it didn't turn out too bad. Still not up to the real ones but a lot better then the mono-colour they are stock.

Advertisement