Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

s40 flexifuel now or diesel in july ?!

Options
  • 20-01-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some opinions on this. Im fairly certain that i would like to go for the s40 (ive looked at the german alternatives 3series, a4 etc.. ) and i like the s40 best. However, I have two options.
    1. Buy the flexifuel 1.8 petrol now and benefit from the 50% vrt reduction on it for around 31k after deliver, metallic etc..
    2. Buy the diesel 2.0 in July and benefit from the VRT changes and road tax then.
    Normally i change my car every year.

the 2.0 diesel presently retails for 37350 in the specification that i like (se lux).
    Using the vrt calculation mentioned in the sticky :

(37350 * (1- 0.3 ))/ (1 -.2) = 32681 (this is what it should be no?)

The flexifuel would go up to 34k or so in july.

So this is the question. If you were to buy the diesel today it would be madness, you would be hit with depreciation in july.
    If you want the flexifuel then definately now is the time to buy.
    Which engine is the nicer to drive / more refined ? What would you guys do ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarah marie jan

hello there,

i'm thinking of buying a car at the moment and i'm totally lost as to what to do. garage guys only telling me one side of the story - theirs!
    found your comments very helpful.
    could anyone tell me whats the best thing to do if i'm buying a volvo s40se: get the flexifuel now or wait for diesel in july? i'm driving about 80 miles per day to my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

All ye need to know is in the VRT thread, go to the last page and you will see what the prices in July should be(doesn't mean they will be of course!);).

I'd have the diesel after July of course because it has more power, and more economy, I have the old shape one and the 1.8 isn't really that fast.

Advertisement