Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genki ne?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hey, a Japanese friend of mine told me she had checked my bebo and that I seemed "really GENKI ne".
    Looked online for translation but seem to get lots of different meanings.
    Anyone shed some light on what it means?
    Thanks.

Comments

'healthy' or in good shape, i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

ND 1978 wrote: »
    'healthy' or in good shape, i think!

Yeah? That's kind of what I expected I suppose. Thanks for the quick response!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

genki means genki. It's the most useful word in the Japanese language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

genki means genki. It's the most useful word in the Japanese language.

yeah but people think your a bit dry if you say it! onl really gaijin seem to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Genki desu ka roughly translates as are you in good form. Genki means healthy or energetic and a ne added on means 'isn't it' or 'aren't you' I think.

Genki ne however could mean a few things and I think as a phrase it has been appropriated by non-Japanese to mean....ah jaysus I don't know - it goes against the very spirit of the word/phrase to try to translate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement