Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about a new PC...

Options
  • 20-01-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my system to cope with all the latest games. I was wondering... should I get one with Vista or XP? I've heard lots of talk about Vista being crap/slow, but wouldn't the latest graphics cards and indeed games run best with Vista? Is it actually the case that they run slower?

On a side note, I don't think it's fair to release directx 10 exclusively for Vista.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yeah I agree dx10 should have been available to xp as well, get vista it's the latest and the greatest and a lot more DX10 games are going to be coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Yeah go with Vista,if you have the hardware you will love it....

What system do you have now?

Are you going to build or buy pre built?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Well at the moment I have:

Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz
    512MB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 6800GT 256MB (AGP)

It's a sort of lower-midrange system by today's standards I suppose.

I was thinking about getting a custom pre-built system from komplett. I really want and AMD based system too.

Oh one other thing - if I have a 64bit machine, do I need Vista 64bit edition in order for the games and apps to take advantage of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

A mod should really move this to the building and upgrading forum

In reply to the OP. Yes if want games to take advantage of the 64bit support, you will need to be running a 64bit OS, but the caveat is that hardly any games currently support 64bit. Crysis is one of the more recent games that touts support for it but you will near to no improvement switching between 32bit and 64bit for it so it is badly optimized.

Go with a 64bit OS anyway, i've been using Vista x64 for 6 months without issue. Most applications can run in legacy 32bit mode if they don't have 64bit support anyway. Plus having a 64bit OS will let you use more than 4GB of RAM

Advertisement