Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please!

• 20-01-2008 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

hi

sorry for the long post+sorry if these questions have been answered a million times before.

im hopefully graduating in 18 months so i when the time comes to looking for a job i wanna know where to look.

im hoping to go into small practice after college so do they start recruiting this time next year or before christmas? where wud i look to find vacancies - milkround/papers/internet?

do graduates usually start in september or before that? if they start in september,wud i have had to be already registered with acca,have my exemptions sorted out and have registered to do my first couple of subjects? or do people usually wait til after christmas to start classes?

id appreciate any help at all,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

go to your careers office in college and make an appointment and they should go through all this with you. Worked for me.

jph100 wrote: »
    hi
    im hoping to go into small practice after college so do they start recruiting this time next year or before christmas? where wud i look to find vacancies - milkround/papers/internet?

The small practise I trained with, recruited in February. So if you wanted to commence Autumn 2009 you would be interviewing Jan/Feb '09. I Know Big 4 are more rigid in their recruitment policies.

A very useful source of ACA vacancies is at http://www.icai.ie/documents/training%20vacancies.xls. Thats how I got into a training contract. I am not sure about ACCA, there is porbably a similar document available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

jph100 wrote: »
    hi

sorry for the long post+sorry if these questions have been answered a million times before.

im hopefully graduating in 18 months so i when the time comes to looking for a job i wanna know where to look.

do graduates usually start in september or before that? if they start in september,wud i have had to be already registered with acca,have my exemptions sorted out and have registered to do my first couple of subjects? or do people usually wait til after christmas to start classes?

id appreciate any help at all,thanks

I just started work this Sept after finishing college last May,

some places have closing dates for early oct but you should hear about all the closing dates if you go to the grad fair in RDS in sept next year and your careers noticeboard should give you info on that.

Most places start in sept so yes you would also have to be registered with acca before you start work if you plan to do exams in the Dec. think closing date for registering is around the 16th Aug. Be prepared I found registering for acca the most stressful couple of weeks ever!! Long phonecalls to scotland etc - i actually had to start college without officially finding out what my exemptions were....

Most people i know did exams in the first sitting in Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Midasmurran

Most small practices will not have a formal recruitment policy inplace and recruitment is based around work load and turnover of staff.

On this basis small practices recruit all year round.

One thing to keep in mind with small practices is that, if you are going into audit, the increase audit exemption threshold means a lot of small practices have lost audit clients.

A job in a medium size company is prob best bet, you will still get a vast amount of exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Go to http://www.accaglobal.com/documents/gradguide07.pdf for a list of employers who take on graduates. Small and mid tier practices recuit all year round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement