Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC or Aluminum?????

• 20-01-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guys, what are your opinions on aluminium windows, guttering etc over uPvc??

I have read that uPvc needs to be replaced after 10yrs or so whereas aluminum should last 30+ years? Is this true?

We had priced Alu clad timber compared to Upvc for windows and the difference was considerable, would plain aluminium be closer to Upvc?

I was thinking that if the price for aluminium was closer to Upvc it might make sense to spend now..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

My house was built in 1991 and originally has double glazed aluminimum windows. The problem with (those) alu windows was that there was no thermal barrier on the alu frame. So we always had condensation on the frames, which quickly turned black. Blinds and curtains didn't last long and had to be scrapped.

Changed the lot to PVC lasy year. What a difference it made.

A PVC frame tends to be wider compared to its equivalent alu (PVC is not as strong as alu so more material is required to get the same strength).

My windows have the bead on the inside, thus preventing the thieves from taking out the window to break into the house (wouldn't believe they would go to this extreme, but it happended my brother while he was asleep upstrairs). So make sure your window has this facility no matter what type you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

youtheman wrote: »
    My windows have the bead on the inside, thus preventing the thieves from taking out the window to break into the house (wouldn't believe they would go to this extreme, but it happended my brother while he was asleep upstrairs). So make sure your window has this facility no matter what type you go for.
    :eek:Thanks Youtheman, will certainly keep that in mind.

My parents have alu and they have similar problems, so Upvc is probably the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,462 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dcom wrote: »
    :eek:Thanks Youtheman, will certainly keep that in mind.

My parents have alu and they have similar problems, so Upvc is probably the best option.
    The above problems with alu are irrelevant.
    Modern alu windows will have a thermal break, so proformance will be the same as PVC.
    This is little difference between the two. If I were to rate all windows in order it would be;
    1. Alu-Timber
    2. Timber
    3. Aluminium
    4. PVC

Alu-timber is top due to maintainance. Alu is aboce PVC as alu have narrow frames, looks better allow smaller opes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Thanks Mellor,

Any idea of the price differences? Would alu be more than twice the cost of uPVC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭DA-LAD

Mellor.
    Whats wrong with PVC. Im looking at UPVC sliding sash windows at the moment and i think they look great. My ould pair got em in about 6 years ago and they look as good now as they were when installed. If they went for timber they would probably have to get them repainted by now!
    They have no maintenance issues with any of the 30plus windows fitted in the house.

Is there much of a difference between frame sizes of PVC and the rest!

Some out there will tell me that anything other than timber looks ****e. I seen two windows side by side earlier this week, one Upvc one timber, and to be honest i could not tell the difference from 5ft away.should ave gone to specsavers...i know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Mellor wrote: »
    The above problems with alu are irrelevant.
    Modern alu windows will have a thermal break, so proformance will be the same as PVC.
    This is little difference between the two. If I were to rate all windows in order it would be;
    1. Alu-Timber
    2. Timber
    3. Aluminium
    4. PVC

Alu-timber is top due to maintainance. Alu is aboce PVC as alu have narrow frames, looks better allow smaller opes.

I would never go back to Aluminium Windows, moved into a house that had D/G Alu windows installed 3 years previous, they were nice to look at, but were a complete nightmare in winter, the frames were wringing wet with condensation every morning, made the walls black with mold, rotted the wooden window ledge - ruined the blinds and curtains. had to get rid... changed to UPVC and what a difference, hardly no condensation, Window frames dry every morning, I get the odd bit of steam on the glass in the mornings but it quickly shifts, nothing to what I had before...
    Aluminum Windows are garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

For me the only problem with PVC (and I have new PVC windows) is purely asthetics:

1. the frame is quite thick (compared to Alu). I have bay windows and if you take the window, the frame, the tube (all x 2) you have a section that must be around 12" in total width.
    2. the cross section has no sharp edges, everything ie bevelled. This is fine except if you want sliding shash windows it just doesn't look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

mark17j wrote: »
    I would never go back to Aluminium Windows, moved into a house that had D/G Alu windows installed 3 years previous, they were nice to look at, but were a complete nightmare in winter, the frames were wringing wet with condensation every morning, made the walls black with mold, rotted the wooden window ledge - ruined the blinds and curtains. had to get rid... changed to UPVC and what a difference, hardly no condensation, Window frames dry every morning, I get the odd bit of steam on the glass in the mornings but it quickly shifts, nothing to what I had before...
    Aluminum Windows are garbage.

The above rant applies only to those alu windows that were made without a proper thermal break.

I don't know if its a requirement in the regs now but any alu window that has a thermal break performs as good as if not better than pvc.

To say "Aluminum Windows are garbage" is inaccurate and disingenuous

Advertisement