Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy on a long car journey

• 20-01-2008 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I know next to nothing about dogs but as a favour am taking a dog from A to B for a friend. The drive is around 7 hours and I don't know what steps to take to look after it. Obviously it will be in a large pet carrier secured (not flailing around in the boot or anything!) but I'm assuming I will need to stop and feed it and walk it (when they are puppies do they poop outside or just do it in the carrier?). Anyone have any guidelines or experience with dogs on long journeys?

PS: I am an animal person (two cats :D) just no experience of dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

ellscurr wrote: »
    I know next to nothing about dogs but as a favour am taking a dog from A to B for a friend. The drive is around 7 hours and I don't know what steps to take to look after it. Obviously it will be in a large pet carrier secured (not flailing around in the boot or anything!) but I'm assuming I will need to stop and feed it and walk it (when they are puppies do they poop outside or just do it in the carrier?). Anyone have any guidelines or experience with dogs on long journeys?

PS: I am an animal person (two cats :D) just no experience of dogs.

i traveled long distances collecting dogs and best to do is 1:Keep a bottle of fresh water and a bowl 2:do not put the pup into boot (cruel) have someone to go with you in the back of vehicle 3 with an blanket as this time of year.4:If you cant get someone use a pet carrier or large card board box with the blanket inside.try to stop every 2 hours to give the pup a breather and yourself.
    It works for me still and drive carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

My brothers mate used to bring his two dogs up to Donegal in his car when visiting his girlfriend. Apart from regular stops and feeding he was adamant that the right kind of music was essential as calming background noise - he would play Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin and peculiarly enough he says this settled the dogs down no end - I suppose it makes sense when you think of it - he did add a little caveat to his cautionary tale - seemingly he stopped outside Ballyconnell to give the dogs a little breather and a snack and beforehand he'd tried them with Sonic Youth for a change - the Springer Spaniel bolted from his grasp and tore away over some fields - it took him an hour to catch him and this made up his mind about changes in melody - he would stick with the tried and trusted from that day onward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

lol I'll have to lay off the death metal music so!

Thanks a mill for the info! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't feed the dog until you get to the destination if the pup is prone to car sickness but do have a bottle of water and a wee bowl handy. Two or three stops out of the car for a quick pee and a walk should be enough, you'll prob need to stretch your legs too. Just make sure you keep the lead attached (as long as the pup isn't one of those dogs that tangles themselves up) so that you can grab it quickly so the dog doesn't spring out of the car on you and run off.

A few newspapers and kitchen roll and some plastic bags are handy if the dog is a pukey one. A spray bottle with water and vinegar to wipe it down too.

Once the carrier (metal crates are best) is a secure one you should have no probs.

Advertisement