Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What 3G datacard/provider if I want to use extenal antenna?

Options
  • 20-01-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to get a 3g device for using in a slightly remote area (On a boat but not far from a 3g antenna). The plan is to get a datacard and use an external antenna (It will be a big whip type aerial that will me mounted on top of the boat). Then i'll buy a 3G wireless router so I can use the laptop wirelessly around the boat

Now basicly my question is: Does the datacard that Vodafone sell accept external antennas? (I was told before they did but want to be certain)

Secondly, Vodafone still have a 5GB cap, so are there any other options? Remember that my main priority is being able to install an external antenna.

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Option make HSUPA cards ( don't waste time on HSDPA) and in Cork IIRC .

Go to http://www.expansys.ie/ and enter the word " Option" in the search on top left to see whats there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Would I be right in saying that i'd be better off going through the phone provider for a package?

Or are you saying that I could say get an O2/3/Vodafone 3G SIM card, then get my own PCMCIA datacard that will allow an external antenna?

O2 have been known to send out Option gear, they may have gone 100% Huawei though. Contact their data support people.

3 and Voda are 100% Huawei I think.

Cheers, i'll go into the shops during the week and ask if I can see a datacard, or just ask if they can accept an external antenna

well to keep it simple

Huawei normally not extensible although a long ( 5m ish) USB cable may help in some circumstances .

Option normally has an esternal slot/connector for an external antenna but not always .

Huawei normally all there is in any shop in shop st so maybe try the O2 office down in the docks above that moderne pub instead.

<not Sheridans, about 5 doors east>

• Advertisement

Fairplay Sponge_Bob, exactly the info I was looking for. Won't be back in Galway until next weekend so i'll give it a look then. I'd go fo rthe Vodafone 3G if they didn't have such a small cap

Advertisement