Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing 4" x 6" photos

• 20-01-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hello. I wonder if somebody could help me please.

A friend of mine asked me to take some product shots for him (my first time)(of bone china collectors plates) and I did so and adjusted what I had to in photshop etc to make it look ok. He wanted them printed at 4" x 6" so I took my disk to the chemist to print them and it is cropping the sides of the photo so all my work was for nothing!! I had cropped all of the shots I took to make them look ok, so had no spares if you know what I mean.

Could anybody tell me if it is possible to resize these shots I have already saved to disk to be able to print to 4" x 6" without it cropping the sides?
    And if I do have to re-shoot them, what should I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I thought once the shot look ok on my computer screen, I would be able to print them to whatever size I wanted.

Thank you so much for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Most of the time it is only issue of the lab operators, what they do with the photos.
    It is always useful to ask, if they use the full size paper (6 inch wide) and what exact size of file with what resolution you should provide.
    If they give you the information and fail to print it correctly, you are entitled to ask your money back or have it reprinted correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

What camera where you using? if its not a DSLR then it probably doesn't have a sensor size that is in the ratio of 3:2 (this is what 6x4 prints are in and what film negatives are....36mmx24mm). Smaller compact cameras tend to have a more square sensor so they usually get cropped at either end to fit onto the paper. You can ask the lab to print the pictures "full frame" or "full image" without cropping the image. The resut will be a small white border down the sides of the image that you can trim off yourself. This will result in slightly smaller prints than 6x4 (possibly 6x3.7 or something) but at least you'll have the image you wanted.

If you're in Dublin, then Gunns on Wexford Street will do them for you once you let them know what your asking for.

Hope this makes some sense?

Advertisement