Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making and meeting new friends in port...

Options
  • 20-01-2008 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any social clubs apart from going to the pub to meet new people and make friends. i know a few people in my housing estate although would love to make friends with more people in port. im in my 20's and feel theres loads of young people to get to know in port! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭shortcorner

Just seen your post Ruby, anyway if I do move down then definitely wouldnt mind meeting up for a pint. It would be good to meet new people from there and to find out which are the good pubs.

Anthony :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Anyone in the Mountrath direction, moved from Dub.. are you's guys in Portarlington or Portlaoise

Hopefully moving to Portarlington Mountrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

im in portarlington too mountrath.

yeh sounds good shortcorner. are you moving down with friends or on your own.

as i say its harder to make friends in a new place, however ive got to know my neighbours but thats about it at the moment and im not even here a full year yet so its not too bad lol. but heres hoping i meet a few more people and find a few drinking buddies or people to drop into for tea and a chat! lol

:)

Cheers for that ruby,
    Just seen your other post in 'port's gone to the dogs' fareplay to you lol

Nope I know nobody there. Heading down on my own.
    Time for a change!
    Hope to move down in the next few weeks. I haven't decided quite yet on a place. Seen a nice place in the Oaks and when speaking with a local women on Saturday after stopping her directions she said it was a nice area.
    She was a local and seemed very friendly, a better reception than I have got from anywhere I was looking :)

• Advertisement

thats good to hear! hehe see there are nice people in port guys!!!!

the oaks is that up station road? im still not familiar with all the housing estates just yet. good to see ya chose portarlington. its a lovely place really is.

Folks

If your in my direction I would glady give you the quick tour of the town, Mountrath is really small though, it would be nice if somebody invested a little money in the town and helped it along its way...

Firstly I need to apologise for my spelling and grammer. Just looked at my last posts, I think I need a course in typing lol

Its up beside the Maxol around the corner from a pub called Point o Point I think.

Thanks for the offer Mountrath and would definitley accept your offer. If its alright I will message you my email address.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the move :)
    Anthony

Firstly I need to apologise for my spelling and grammer. Just looked at my last posts, I think I need a course in typing lol

Its up beside the Maxol around the corner from a pub called Point o Point I think.

Thanks for the offer Mountrath and would definitley accept your offer. If its alright I will message you my email address.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the move :)
    Anthony

Hi Shortcorner,

Send on your details to me no problems.. Im living in Mountrath approx 8 Miles from Portloaise, moved from Dublin in Novemeber, its a bit quiet out my neck of the woods but sure crime level is 0 which is great, talk to you soon

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

from the point of view of early 20's theres not much available in port outside of the pub scene.... let me give you a run down of some pubs

The Anvil: the local 'jock' and 'dolly' pub. full every weekend, lively, full of egos and hairspray... crap beer, stick to bottles and spirit, and dont expect riveting conversation.

The Afterdark: Nice small pub frequented by the 'offaly' side of port. crowd seems to have gotten very young lately, but maybe thats me getting older.... good craic on weekend, the lounge part has comfy sofas and duke box.

The continental: owned by two dubs, nice fellas, ray and gerry, has a large 'dublin' contingent of customers.. recently extended and refurbished.... good beer, sometimes lacks atmosphere

The PintOPort: My personal favourite, great beer, great lounge out back... only often has private functions going on... staff and customers very friendly and banter great... average age 30-60 though.... auld fellas place during week.. always has a good crowd....

Toms Bar: smallish, caters for out-of-towners from cushina etc.... alright though

Burbages: very 'in' crowd, all regulars, not friendly to newcomers, in need of a refurbishment. but ok on a saturday night, slight smell though...

The Barrow Lodge: nice pub, friendly crowd, very sport orientated... large lounge out back, pool table and duke box... good spot for matches.

most other pubs are ok....
    some to watch out for... the Railway bar.... :eek:..... The Weighbridge.. dead as a doornail.... The Spa... think 'Deliverance'........

• Advertisement

hehehe cheers for that syd! hehe good to get the full low down on each of the pubs! love some of ur descriptions!!! LMAO

hey shortcorner, is that in kilnacourt woods??? thats where i live lol! the housing estate opposite the maxol and around the corner from pint o port lol. thats gas. are the oaks the yellow houses or the creamy kinda coloured ones? thats mad.

mountrath cheers for the offer but im never out that direction to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

oaks must be the ones in kilnacourt from the your directions that where I am too! Not a bad estate fairly quiet can't complain. There are alot of rented home in saying that most are families so still fairly settled!

Ruby in terms of meeting new friends I'm in the same boat in saying that haven't had much of a chance to explore too much either let me know if you come accross anything! btw feel free to Pm me if you want to chat! by the way im f 2os also.

Fareplay to you sydthebeat, some good pointers :)

Yeah ruby I think that is in kilnacourt woods, its the small apartment block on the left as you drive in. I will expect a nice cuppa tea to welcome me to Port lol

Anyway I have to go down there this afternoon and hopefully finalise everything so I hope there will be a big welcome party for me when I move down he he

Have to say, I'm looking forward to the move

cool cool. janey cant believe so many of us are living in kilnacourt. yeh i know the apartments ur talking bout lo. well best of luck today! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Great review sydthebeat. Disagree with ya on some points. But hey thats life. everyone is different and so are the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loughgate.com

Moved here just over 1 year ago and overall Portarlington has been good and the people are friendly. Outside of going to the Pubs there is few options to meet people doing other activities.

...we do have the community center, park area and the new Swimming pool with Gym.

There has been a huge amount of houses & Apartments built in PORT (Portarlington)... but PORT has not benefited from additional shops and facilities you might find in Newbridge, Portlaoise and Tullamore. But i think over time we will see this in PORT.

To meet more people in your own estate or area, you might want create some sort of activity such as a BBQ, etc(get a few ideas from http://www.knowyourneighbour.ie/)

In the Lough Gate estate we have created a website(www.loughgate.com) to help newcomers to the area and it has had some success.

The problem getting to meet people in Portarlington is so many are commuters to Dublin(working in Dublin...me included) and this leaves you a little drained! But the key is to try to get involved with anything that might be happening local and who knows you might make some good friends!

Well Ruby,
    Its finalised, got the keys yesterday. I made a mistake with the name of the place. Its actually The Birches I'm moving into. Such be down there officially in about 3 weeks!

Good post loughgate :)

Congrats on your purchase, Best of look with the move.

congrats shortcorner!!!

that was quick!!! best of luck with the move! we'll get the bunting out for ye!

Cheers for the congrats kikel and ruby!
    Thats at least 2 cups of tea for me when I arrive lol I'll bring the Jaffa cakes :)

• Advertisement

lol, well personally id prefer digestives lmao.

hopefully ul bring the good weather too. its been raining here for eh i dont know how long...months!!!!

no problem I'll bring a packet of digestives with me. plain and chocolate ones, I may aswell splash out!

and it just so happens that I control the sun, so thats no problem either lmao

so what do you work at yourself Ruby?

sent you a pm there shortcorner! :)

wow that was quick shortcomer! Congrats on your new home! Best of luck the welcoming comittee are busy planning for ur arrival lol! Think the birches are opposite me so when ur movin in and u see a nosey so and so have a gool look u know who it is ! lol!:D

Best of luck with the move Shortcorner, any Mountrath fans out there??

Well thanks very much everyone, really looking forward to the move now.

Cheers ruby, undecided and mounthrath, and sure I'll think you'll hear me first undecided.
    I have a nosiey banger of a car LMAO

lol it can join the rest of them down here! :)

undecided wrote: »
    lol it can join the rest of them down here! :)

I love to able to defend myself against that comment, but unfortunately my hippy wagon falls into that category.

lol lmao @undecided! i get what ye mean! hehehe

• Advertisement

I'm the only person who is allowed slag my car lmao.

Advertisement