Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burying twin & earth

• 21-01-2008 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to bury twin & earth in concrete or should a conduit be used?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The concrete will attack the insulation , so you need conduit . Better if it ever breaks too since you can just pull a new length through. Use armoured outdoor cable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can't do this under any circumstances, PVC PVC cable can't be installed if it will be under water , if you want to go underground you need SWA cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

What I am doing is chasing out channels in the floor to relocate some sockets and moving the TV point to a different area in the room. So if I chase out a 40x30mm channel and bury some square or round conduit and backfill the channel with some mortar, I can feed the twin & earth through? I wouldn't need armoured cable for this application would I?

Cmar-Ireland,

no you wont, conduit will be fine once its inside your house

Stoner wrote: »
    Cmar-Ireland,

no you wont, conduit will be fine once its inside your house

Great, Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

You can get 20mm flexible conduit which makes the job a lot handier, getting up behind the skirting

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Cmar,
    I would use nymj for this rather than t&e.

Whats nymj?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

It is a circular cable made with 3 x 2.5mm conductors with all the conductors insulated.
    Often seen used for outside lights.
    Flies through round conduit

It looks like white flex except it feels harder and it has a soft rubber between the insulated conductors and its mechanical protection.
    Available in meter lengths from any Elec wholesaler, about 60cent/meter

maurice1 wrote: »
    It is a circular cable made with 3 x 2.5mm conductors with all the conductors insulated.
    Often seen used for outside lights.
    Flies through round conduit

It looks like white flex except it feels harder and it has a soft rubber between the insulated conductors and its mechanical protection.
    Available in meter lengths from any Elec wholesaler, about 60cent/meter

Sounds like the job, I'll go with that. Only need about 10m to do the runs I want.
    Any particular conduit I should use?

• Advertisement

maurice1 wrote: »
    You can get 20mm flexible conduit which makes the job a lot handier, getting up behind the skirting

Where can I pick up this flexible conduit? Sounds perfect for the job.

most decent suppliers
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193263

the proper copex flexi conduit has steel in it but very expensive, but there are cheaper plastic ones , there is a grey coloured one that is tough and cheaper (dont know the name), but there is a black one called guvi flex, it is too light to use in the floor IMO.

Advertisement