Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

idiot destroyed girlfriend's property

• 21-01-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

my girlfriend's flat mate had a few friends around to their apartment after a night club the other night. The apartment's just across from the club. One of the people's flat mates followed the invited people and invited himself. After following my girlfriend around the whole night and generally acting like an idiot he was asked to leave.

on the way out, he took one of my girlfriend's ugg boots which are worth 250 euro. The next day he denied taking it but his flat mate found it today in their apartment, destroyed. I'm wondering if there's any way of making him buy her a new pair that won't cost more in legal fees than the boots are worth?

i'm not sure this is in the right forum or appropriate for any forum so mods please move/delete if necessary

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As this involves a potentially criminal act (theft, criminal damage), this person might want to consider contacting the gardai.

As regards a civil rememdy, that would involve me giving you legal advice to a degree, and that Tom Young fella is just itching to start banning people. Maybe clarify your query in line with the charter, or, dare I say it, contact a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i had a feeling that would be the response. I'd say the gardai would just laugh at her so i'll get her t talk to a barrister she knows. Thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Having a feeling that the gardai would laugh at her is not a reason not to go to them. It seems to me like the kind of thing that the gardai might investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Was the girlfriend drinking? It sounds like a nonsense question but I know people who have gone to the Gardaí in relatively similar circumstances and when they stated that they had also been drinking the Gardaí didn't have much time for them as their accusations weren't seen as reliable. Otherwise I say go to the Gardaí. You should at least tell the guy you are going to report him to the Gardaí and see if that acts as a catalyst to him paying up voluntarily. I don't believe in idle threats so thereafter I would go to the Gardaí.

Having a feeling that the gardai would laugh at her is not a reason not to go to them. It seems to me like the kind of thing that the gardai might investigate.

yeah you're right. the worst they can do is laugh her out of the station and its hardly worth losing €250 for fear of that

johnfás wrote: »
    Was the girlfriend drinking? It sounds like a nonsense question but I know people who have gone to the Gardaí in relatively similar circumstances and when they stated that they had also been drinking the Gardaí didn't have much time for them as their accusations weren't seen as reliable. Otherwise I say go to the Gardaí. You should at least tell the guy you are going to report him to the Gardaí and see if that acts as a catalyst to him paying up voluntarily. I don't believe in idle threats so thereafter I would go to the Gardaí.

yes she was drinking but the fact that the boot was found in his apartment should surely add some weight to the claim that he stole it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

yeah you're right. the worst they can do is laugh her out of the station and its hardly worth losing €250 for fear of that

yes she was drinking but the fact that the boot was found in his apartment should surely add some weight to the claim that he stole it?

Definately.

You'd need to get someone to testify to the fact that the boots were found in his apartment though. Otherwise it's just your girlfriend's word against his.

johnfás wrote: »
    Definately.

You'd need to get someone to testify to the fact that the boots were found in his apartment though. Otherwise it's just your girlfriend's word against his.

it was his flat mate who found the boot and called my girlfriend to tell her. and there's CCTV in the apartment block that she's getting checked today

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I say give the man a medal, he did her a favour. When will women learn that Ugg boots are ugly as hell!

Maximilian wrote: »
    I say give the man a medal, he did her a favour. When will women learn that Ugg boots are ugly as hell!

she wears them because they're comfortable. she's been in a mood for days now because her feet are cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

i had a feeling that would be the response. I'd say the gardai would just laugh at her so i'll get her t talk to a barrister she knows. Thanks

Only if the boot is on the other foot:)

On a serious note, while you should be able to prove he 'stole' it you may not be able to prove he actually damaged it.

Can you not help with the cold feet?:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement