Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath problems.

Options
  • 21-01-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if any posters had this same problem: My little one used to enjoy her baths, ducks toys etc, recently she is going nuts and will only stand in the bath, she won't sit into the water. Needless to say bathtime is now a nightmare and she wails all the way through it. She has to stay standing while being washed?

Anybody else have this experience, is it just a phase? Tis strange. Thanks for any replies on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It happens, have you tried getting her to pick out a ceratain bubble bath and using that to get her in the bath.

Is having her stand under a shower an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It happens, have you tried getting her to pick out a ceratain bubble bath and using that to get her in the bath.

Is having her stand under a shower an option ?
    Early days yet. She has a fear of the bath which came out of nowhere. Tried distraction tactics like bringing her duckys into the bath to give them a wash, which worked well and actually got her into the bath. But some kind of aversion kicked in when it came to her actually sitting into it?

I don't know, tis only a minor concern really but I'm lost as to how she suddenly developed a fear of bathing whereas before she enjoyed it. It's something to do with water in her face I think, so the shower wouldn't work. Thanks for suggestions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Irongirl

My eldest two did the same thing. Loved it one day, screamed bloody murder the next. Maybe it's a phase they all go through. we couldn't find a solution to it. one of us held the child close and tried to comfort them while the other did the actual washing. They do seem to get past this point after a year or less if that's any consolation.

Irongirl wrote: »
    My eldest two did the same thing. Loved it one day, screamed bloody murder the next. Maybe it's a phase they all go through. we couldn't find a solution to it. one of us held the child close and tried to comfort them while the other did the actual washing. They do seem to get past this point after a year or less if that's any consolation.
    Thanks, I guess it is just a stage and not something to be more concerned about. It's a dose at the moment, can't wait for the next crazy stage to kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Yup, my fella loved the baby bath, but he hated the grown up bath. We kept him in the baby bath, trying occasionally to put him into the big one.. Only last night did he go in to the big bath for the first time.. My sister got him a floating spider man toy, we gave him a net, he stood at the side 'fishing', I nudged spiderman out of reach, he got in without (too much) complaint in order to reach him.. Then I had to fight with him to get him out of the bath again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He's afraid of water in general, though.. brought him paddling in the sea once or twice and he was terrified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Both of mine went through this phase.

Would he still fit in a baby bath and if so maybe put the baby bath inside the big bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Just wondered if any posters had this same problem: My little one used to enjoy her baths, ducks toys etc, recently she is going nuts and will only stand in the bath, she won't sit into the water. Needless to say bathtime is now a nightmare and she wails all the way through it. She has to stay standing while being washed?

Anybody else have this experience, is it just a phase? Tis strange. Thanks for any replies on this.

I hated getting water on my face when I was that age so my Mother got me this hat thing which basically was a large circular brim that went all around your head just over your eyes. There was just a hole at the top instead of where the hat bit should be and you could wash the kids hair without wetting their face.

That was about 16 years ago but I'm sure there must be something similar on the market.

Edit:
    Here is something very simular http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_1860_10001

Or

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2007/02/three_steps_for.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Did you ever try getting into the bath with him . . let him conquer his fear with a greater sense of security ?

Did you ever try getting into the bath with him . . let him conquer his fear with a greater sense of security ?
    Cheers, I'll try the suggestions mentioned, getting into the bath with her and the visor are good ideas and the coaxing 'fishing' sounds like fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

It happened with both my older children. I think it's because they see me taking showers all the time as opposed to baths.

Now both of them take showers independantly, use their vests to plug the hole, take a play bucket in with them and i basically have to drag them out kicking and screaming. Ages 2 and 3, i think it's a bit odd but i can't get them into the bath now for love or money. First few times (one by one) they came in with me to the shower.

If you have a shower consider it. Could be the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

our little one likes to stand up sometimes also and I've found a good way to get her to sit down again is getting her to wash the rubber duck's hair (OK, duck has no hair of course but u know what I mean!). She then sits down and gets the jug and proceeds to empty the contents of the bath over the duck's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

jut gone thru the same with our 20 mont old. She loved the bath up until she was 17 months, and then the same as ours, would not sit for love nor hugs. Standing was as close as she would get 'in' the bath. And she would roar like a wild animal.

It took time, 2 miutes here, and distracting her from the fact that she was going to the bath, she soon started to sit, and now we can even rince her hair, with water going over her face. The problem we now have is she won't get out!!!

Good luck, and keepat it. Just a phase....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

We've used this for our daughter since she could sit upright by herself:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Baby-Fold%252dAway-Bath-Seat/dp/B000MPMDJ4

When we were in my parent's over Christmas we tried giving her a bath (without the chair) but she hit the roof. She seems to feel secure sitting in the chair in the bath and thankfully enjoys bath time.

Hey thanks for all the help, today I got her into the bath by getting her to assist in making the bath i.e. she put the new bubble bath in and she went and got her toys and put them in. Then I hopped in myself (in a pair of shorts for my modesty, and to avoid awkward questions). I played in the bath with the toys while she watched and hey presto she demanded to come in as well.

I wet her hair gradually with a wet cloth before introducing the shampoo, minor ructions began but I managed to coax her with reasurance in a step by step fashion. Eventually got to the rinsing of the hair by using a face cloth to form a protective band on her forehead, it reassured her and she held it in place.

End result was that she got the rinsing cup and started pouring water over herself and she washed herself as well, all was good and it was fun. She wont sit down in the bath as yet but that is the next step (I didn't push it) and she was happy with that.

Just thought I'd get back and put that up for anyone else that might be experiencing the same prob.

Great advice from all. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Between the ages of 18 months and 2 years old, my son refused to go near a bath. I had to stand him up in the kitchen sink (with another adult present as he'd try climbing out), pour cups of water over him while he screamed hysterically. I'd have to do this as quick as possible because he'd vomit if left to cry for too long. It was a nightmare. Then i got a shock when he just turned 2 when I placed him in the bath and he didn't cry. It ended as abruptly as it had started.
    He's now 7 and won't believe me when I tell him this- in fact, he'd now have a bath every night if he could.
    So it's probably just a phase with your girl.

EDIT: Sorry, Deliverance, I've just read your last post. I'm delighted you've got sorted out, and I'm sure you are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Our first loved the bath but went through that phase. Loves it again now. Think we did some of the above suggestons. I think I was a terror as a kid not liking baths. So its kinda funny to have the role reversed now.

kelle wrote: »
    Between the ages of 18 months and 2 years old, my son refused to go near a bath. I had to stand him up in the kitchen sink (with another adult present as he'd try climbing out), pour cups of water over him while he screamed hysterically. I'd have to do this as quick as possible because he'd vomit if left to cry for too long. It was a nightmare. Then i got a shock when he just turned 2 when I placed him in the bath and he didn't cry. It ended as abruptly as it had started.
    He's now 7 and won't believe me when I tell him this- in fact, he'd now have a bath every night if he could.
    So it's probably just a phase with your girl.

EDIT: Sorry, Deliverance, I've just read your last post. I'm delighted you've got sorted out, and I'm sure you are too.
    No need to apologise, sounds like you had a much harder time than I had, info from folks here assisted me greatly. Your input is appreciated as well for those that may have had /or are a having a hard time with bathing. It's all good info. Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

Have you recently moved home or re-decorated bathroom..?

My 20 month old daughter loves her baths she constantly runs to the bathroom demanding to be put in. Yet, when we stay over at my parents or my boyfriends parents she will not get into the bath for anything.. She will kick and scream and shout and when you finally get her in she spends the whole time trying to climb out. But as soon as you return home she is all up for it again...

Is your babogs bottom sore? When my little girl gets a slight nappy rash, she refuses to sit down in the tub. Although she does still enjoy it while standing up. i don't think that the babog standing can cause any harm, once you can get them washed and are on your gaurd throughout the bath time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sosusie

Early days yet. She has a fear of the bath which came out of nowhere. Tried distraction tactics like bringing her duckys into the bath to give them a wash, which worked well and actually got her into the bath. But some kind of aversion kicked in when it came to her actually sitting into it?

I don't know, tis only a minor concern really but I'm lost as to how she suddenly developed a fear of bathing whereas before she enjoyed it. It's something to do with water in her face I think, so the shower wouldn't work. Thanks for suggestions though.
    Hi,
    It can be a real stress for both of you. My little girl did the same, but it did'nt last very long. I got into the bath with her and this really helped. I also let her see me pouring water on my face and laughing afterwards.

Advertisement