Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Odd things that have happened to you... and were quite humourous

• 21-01-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

An apartment in my apartment block was on fire. All the residents had to go out onto the street until the fire brigade put it out.

I got chatting to one of my neighbours.

After the fire brigade left myself and the neighbour were walking up the stairs. He was laughing saying how the poor bastards flat is going to be wrecked. As we turned the corner he discovered the fire brigade had chopped down his door by mistake.

Was very funny :) The look on his face!

Maybe you had to be there...

Any weird stories which were quite funny at the time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

dublindude wrote: »
    An apartment in my apartment block was on fire. All the residents had to go out onto the street until the fire brigade put it out.

After the fire brigade left myself and the neighbour were walking up the stairs. He was laughing saying how the poor bastards flat is going to be wrecked. As we turned the corner he discovered the fire brigade had chopped down his door by mistake.

Where was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My apartment block! Dublin City Centre. It wasn't tonight or too recently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

dublindude wrote: »

as they say mocking catches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like that happens quite a bit. Someone I know had a fire in their block last week. The fire brigade came in and were poised, sledgehammer raised to bash down a door until one of the residents pointed out that the fire was in the apartment underneath...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

I went to prague last summer on my own . I was in berlin and just took the notion to book a cheap room over the net and hop on a train . When i got to my hotel , poky wee place , there was no tv or radio or anything in the room so i just threw my bag in the corner and went for walk into town . I was half way through my first beer when i realised id left the wee map with the hotel directions on it in my room , so thought id better head back and get it if i was going to be out for the evening .
    walked to the door of the pub and then couldnt remember did i walk in from the left or the right ?
    then i realised I couldnt remember the name of the hotel .
    nor could i remember the name of the street the hotel was on .
    But i thought , no panic , im no more than 5 mins walk from the hotel . Find it no problem .

About 5 feckin hours later Im still wandering the streets of medieval prague that just wind round and round into multi exited courtyards like some weird maze , and its about 2 in the morning , pitch dark and im only further away than i was 5 hours earlier from finding my hotel . Id been up and down every back street and i was experiencing huge surges of panic about every 20 mins . I had nowhere even to ask directions to , was nearly crying . Eastern europe , on my own , totally lost . Convinced i was going to be mugged , gang raped and have my bodily organs harvested and sold on the black market
    Eventually I passed this street and noticed out of the corner of my eye a bush sticking out way off in the distance . I thought to myself , there was a bush in a park id passed on my way into town . Million to one long shot but its the only landmark i can think off . Walked towards the bush , there was indeed a park but it didnt look remotely familiar . Kept walking and then bleeding miracle , accross the road there was the little sign with my hotels name on it . I let out a roar and started dancing across the street towards it .
    whereupon 2 big skinheaded mafia types in leather jackets doing security at the front hopped off their stools . i explained what had happened to me and they pissed themselves laughing , turns out Arsenal was in town and they were expecting trouble. One had worked in dublin for a number of years so we stood there just having a bit of crack abut ireland . Right beside us there was this basement type music bar , packed with all sorts of hot women throwing shots down them and the music blaring . The mafiosi asked me did i want to go to the nightclub , half price for residents . I was still too freaked to sleep so sez yeah .
    So yer man took the money , walks me to the door In I go and he locks it behind me . Bit strange I thought , but never mind . Just relieved to have found the place after 5 hours peeing my pants .
    I walked through a door and found myself in a virtually empty bar very different from the joint id seen in the basement window, with about 9 really beautiul , expensively dressd women sitting at the bar staring at me . I looked the other way and theres another equally beautiful but very undressed woman gyrating round a pole . Whereupon I nearly feckin choked . Then i looked back at the others and they were all still staring at me like i was dinner or something .
    walked up to the bar , sez "well, hows it going " to them because i couldnt think of anything else to say , and ordered a pint . I was told i was upposed to sit down and theyd bring it . Turns out the place was a lap dancing club/brothel . I was feckin moritified but a quick calculation told me id just paid a bloody fortune to get in as well as the drink . And i was locked in so i couldnt even do a quiet exit stage left . So i was too embarassed and mean to leave right away , but there was no way i was ever going to pay a woman for sex . So i just sort of hid round a corner with my very expensive pint praying theyd leave me alone . Dumb idea . I had to explain to them i was lost and only came in for a pint by mistake evry time i got offered " lezbi show and jaccuzi" . I also dont think that when a womans staring at you seductively from a pole with no clothes on your supposed to do an Irish nod at her over your pint , and go "well , hows she going " . But of course , international man of mystery that I am , I did .

Next morning Im sitting having breakfast at a little pavement cafe , regained my composure and im international culture man again , coffee and marlboros and waitresses and stuff , lounging knowlegably and assuredly with a confident air trying not to look like tourist . Ordering my breakfast in fluent phrasebook czech , tipping and all the rest . Theres 4 young ones having breakfast accross from me . One looks over at me , asks me for a light , lights it up very seductively looking me in the eyes the whole time . Just when Im think " woohoo" she does this jerk of her head motion , like shes got tourettes or something and the other ones start giggling . Turns out they were all young ladies from the establishment the previous night and i hadnt recognised them with their clothes on .

Feckin scundered .:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement