Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query re:ringing someone in the US/Can on a mobile

• 21-01-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I used Voipcheap to ring the sister on here mobile in Canada as the rate that day was 0cent. But she gave me ear ache about how there charges were different. So even though she was in Toronto on here Canadian mobile and I was ringing her from Ireland she still get some per minute charge for answering a international call.
    So am wondering is this correct as I presume on irish mobiles you would only ever get charged for someone ringing you if you were outside of Ireland. IF it is true anyone know how they work out the charge

One last thing, is it the same setup in US, as Voipcheap also seem to do free calls to landlines and mobile to there as well. A mate is heading over to Texas for three months so was wondering would it be worth while him buying a prepay phone and me ringing him via voipcheap

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Many mobile operators in the US and Canada charge their customers for incoming calls as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks, any idea of the charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They also charge for texts! Bloody nightmare if someone decides to send you loads of pointless texts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

cubix wrote: »

Depends on the network, the persons call plan etc so impossible to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

European mobiles charge you extra to call them, it is much more expensive to call a mobile than a landline. N American mobiles have the same area codes etc as landlines, so it not more expensive to ring them, but the person called pays from their minutes. In general, someone has to pay something. if the OPs sister has a landline then it will be truly free to her, otherwise she will have to use her minutes to hear from her dear brother. She could ring him of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

cubix wrote: »

get her to check if there are unlimited incoming call packages, or unlimited incoming call times... on most bill pay accounts you can select a plan with free/un-charged incoming minutes, even for pre-pay you can get unlimited calls say in the evenings or weekends - she will have to do some investigation

rogers and fido both have such plans if she is with one of them, she can eihter check the sites or pop into one of the stores and get them to lay out her options - if she is on pre-pay with eihter of them you can also select the call plan you want when you top up...

Advertisement