Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infractions not being doled out according to the charter

Options
  • 21-01-2008 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

eth0 refuses to ban Blk150 for two abusive posts in the Work & Jobs forum. nesf has seen the same two posts (which I reported) and has also done nothing.

run_Forrest_run deserves at the very least a warning for a post on Parenting but again, that has been over-looked by the moderators there (Thaedydal et al) (although it has been reported).

I have been banned myself but the fact that others are not banned when they break rules and charters makes a mockery of banning anyone at all, ever.

If moderators may decide who and when to give infractions based on their personal likes/dislikes, then why have a charter or rules at all? Why not just do away with charters altogether and leave up a sticky on every forum stating the moderators may do as they wish so we better all suck up.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Uhm, it's not even one hour since you reported those posts in Work&Jobs. Moderators aren't at their computers 24 hours a day you know.

They sleep when the backup job runs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Action -v- reaction. You were out of orders (Action), others reacting to you (reaction). Moderators usually sympathise a little more with people who react to trolls and idiots.
    Would it have killed you to post a link to save the majority of people who don't know what this exactly in reference to? Try it. I'm willing to take that risk.

Charters are guidelines, not rulebooks. There's flexibility there. Each situation is different and should be handled differently.

They may be getting private warnings or whatever. You really do appear to be bitching because you got your hand slapped for your behaviour and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have been banned myself but the fact that others are not banned when they break rules and charters makes a mockery of banning anyone at all, ever.
    You were rude, you got banned
    you don't get a high horse anymore

move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dame wrote: »
    run_Forrest_run deserves at the very least a warning for a post on Parenting but again, that has been over-looked by the moderators there (Thaedydal et al) (although it has been reported).

There was a warning put in that thread.
    You did not report posts in parenting as you are banned from there.
    You did pester me via pm ( and cast slurs at me ) and if you persist you will get another infraction for back seat modding.

You got banned for personal abuse from parenting and boo hoo now your misery wants company.

If moderators may decide who and when to give infractions based on their personal likes/dislikes, then why have a charter or rules at all? Why not just do away with charters altogether and leave up a sticky on every forum stating the moderators may do as they wish so we better all suck up.

Ah there it is the true fightdapowar motivation of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

this something to do with pregnant women innit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Stark wrote: »
    Uhm, it's not even one hour since you reported those posts in Work&Jobs. Moderators aren't at their computers 24 hours a day you know.

They sleep when the backup job runs

No but both eth0 and nesf have been on their computers, logged in and replying to that particular thread since I reported those posts. eth0 sent me a pm stating that he/she will not be banning the user. Therefore, the fact of it being one hour or ten hours since makes no difference.

Something to do with Dame's issues with the socail welfare system in this country,
    she can take the topic up in humaities and with her TD.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54912444&postcount=31

That is the post for which she got banned and for a mere 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

where's the personal abuse?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There was a warning put in that thread.
    You did pester me via pm ( and cast slurs at me ) and if you persist you will get another infraction for back seat modding.

There was no specific warning given in the thread. In fact, the "warning" as you call it was actually more directed at me since it pointed out (again) that I had been banned.

"back-seat modding".....does that mean that anyone and everyone who brings an issue up in Feedback will get an infraction for "back-seat modding"? :rolleyes:

RuggieBear wrote: »
    where's the personal abuse?

It's in the posts I reported.

• Advertisement

So now pm'ing a mod and reporting a post to them that way doesn't count? Mods pick and choose, that just illustrates my point once again.

There was no specific warning given in the thread. In fact, the "warning" as you call it was actually more directed at me since it pointed out (again) that I had been banned.

No it warned the posters to drop talking about your post.
    "back-seat modding".....does that mean that anyone and everyone who brings an issue up in Feedback will get an infraction for "back-seat modding"? :rolleyes:

Nope the back seat modding was in the pms you sent me.

dame wrote:
    whinge, whinge, whinge, mods won't mod thier forum they way I am telling them to, whinge, whine, gibber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Oh, STFU dame.

You didn't even go to the bother of pretending that you weren't bringing a dispute in another forum into that forum because you got banned for being unable to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner in that forum.

Of course you got banned. WTF did you expect.

I must have site-banned at least a dozen people for pulling that crap when I was an S-Mod. I'd have done it in this one in a heartbeat.

Since I don't have site-banning powers any more, have a random cat:

lolcat-funny-picture-value-meal.jpg

I like cats actually.

So now pm'ing a mod and reporting a post to them that way doesn't count? Mods pick and choose, that just illustrates my point once again.

Stop it, the forum is not modded in accordance to what you think and your reporting of the posts in parenting via pm was prejudiced and motivated by your hurt feelings at being banned. If you had of used the report post function with such a prejudice then you would have got a warning about abusing the report post function.

Still doesn't explain the blatant ignoring of the blatantly insulting posts in the Work & Jobs forum.

then you would have got a warning about abusing the report post function.

Right, so basically reporting a post may only be done by a person who has not been insulted. In that case there must have been thousands of infractions given in error over the years to users who were reported by the injured party. Better make that clear in the charter then. That way we can avoid anyone who feels aggrieved getting an infraction for themselves by reporting an insulting post made by somebody else.

Still doesn't explain the blatant ignoring of the blatantly insulting posts in the Work & Jobs forum.

You are not privy to the infraction system when it is applied to someone who is not you. You have know way of knowing what if any infractions were handed out or by which mods.

Right, so basically reporting a post may only be done by a person who has not been insulted. In that case there must have been thousands of infractions given in error over the years to users who were reported by the injured party. Better make that clear in the charter then. That way we can avoid anyone who feels aggrieved getting an infraction for themselves by reporting an insulting post made by somebody else.

You were not named or singled out by the op in the thread in parenting but you singled her out for your unkind comments when she is clearly struggling with her pregnancy and the complications arising from it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You were rude, you got banned
    you don't get a high horse anymore

move on

That does not (or should I say "should not") allow anyone else to get away with being rude.

• Advertisement

Am I the only person who really dislikes it when someone says, "So basically..." and then goes on to say something that is completely at odds with what was said.

I think it's not so much the stupidity of it, but the way there's always an impression that they think they're actually being clever and have pulled off some sort master-stroke of rhetorical brilliance; hence making the stupidity even more grating.

You are not privy to the infraction system when it is applied to someone who is not you. You have know way of knowing what if any infractions were handed out or by which mods.

There is normally a post made on the thread by a moderator stating that a person has been warned/banned due to a post made on that thread.

In the case of the two highly insulting posts in Work & Jobs I am actually privy to the infraction as it applied to someone who is not me. A moderator pm'ed me and told me they would not be banning the user. Have you actually read this thread here at all? Yadda, yadda, I have a life....I can't read everything.....blah, blah.... Well you should if you are going to be commenting on it.

That does not (or should I say "should not") allow anyone else to get away with being rude.

You're not in charge of "allowing" anything
    particularly since you can't stop yourself from being rude
    so why you would presume to try and call others on it is beyond me

once again, move on

bluewolf wrote: »
    You're not in charge of "allowing" anything
    particularly since you can't stop yourself from being rude
    so why you would presume to try and call others on it is beyond me

once again, move on

In the interests of fairness? Ever heard of that concept?

You think being rude enough to get yourself banned is "fair"? I don't.

And if you were posting this purely in the interests of fairness, you could and would have gone about this whole thing a lot differently.
    As it is, it's whining about being banned and "misery wants company" as thaed said.

There is normally a post made on the thread by a moderator stating that a person has been warned/banned due to a post made on that thread.
    No. Normally there isn't. Such posts are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This is getting embarrassing.

If I had banned the person you reported, I would have had to ban you also, in the interest of fairness. You have a chip on your shoulder and you created another thread in an inappropriate forum in order to continue your tirade against the young mother in the other forum you were banned from.

I made an informed decision to ban neither of you, and instead lock the highly inappropriate thread you started.

that is not normally the case for infractions.
    In the case of the two highly insulting posts in Work & Jobs I am actually privy to the infraction as it applied to someone who is not me.

Nope you still do not have access to the place where the infractions are reported for all the mods to see.
    A moderator pm'ed me and told me they would not be banning the user.

Ah so what you do have is a communication from a mod kind enough to inform you that your reported post will not be acted on. ie no dice stop baying for blood.

So you used the report post function ( which reports to a place were all the mods can see ) to not just report but also to whinge after the thread you started which was muck racking from a forum you were just banned from was closed.

Actually looking at your exact wording of the reported post report
    dame wrote:
    Ban this user for personal insults.

You have used the reported post function to instruct a mod what to do which is back seat modding.

The internets of fairness ?

wow is there such a thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54918855#post54918855

Pure baiting. "Oh you rose to it. Ooh mods, mods". Upset that noone came running? You're like the little child provoking his/her siblings until he/she gets a slap then shouting "Mam..." and expecting Mammy to come with kisses and hugs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement