Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infractions not being doled out according to the charter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Stark wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54918855#post54918855

Pure baiting. "Oh you rose to it. Ooh mods, mods". Upset that noone came running? You're like the little child provoking his/her siblings until he/she gets a slap then shouting "Mam..." and expecting Mammy to come with kisses and hugs.

Actually, I was willing to not think the worst. If the poster hadn't replied as he/she did then I would not have reported them. I wouldn't have wanted to be abusing the report post function unnecessarily now, would I. However, the poster confirmed that they had indeed meant their post as a personal insult, thus being in breach of the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dame wrote: »
    In the interests of fairness? Ever heard of that concept?

Have you?
    dame wrote:
    You are "entitled" (your favourite word)
    dame wrote:
    You can look up the Health & Safety at Work Act 2005 yourself.
    dame wrote:
    Starting to sound like you just don't want to work and want us to hand you a perfect solution (whereby you get money into your pocket) while you relax at home.
    dame wrote:
    Right......but if we were to tell you now there's Ypoung Expectant Mother's Entitlement Payment X which you can get, so long as you fill in form Y, which you get from person Z.....then person Z refused to give you the form........I'll bet you wouldn't be so "shy and submissive" then!
    Actually, going to the bother of looking up legislation for you and making helpful suggestions as to what you could do at work to make life easier for you and enable you to continue working was being generous and positive. If you want to flippantly ignore that and get on your high-horse over a perceived character slight, then you really are an ungrateful little madam who doesn't deserve the help and time of people here.

Personally I think Thaed did make a mistake in banning you. It should have been much much earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thaedydal wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54912444&postcount=31

That is the post for which she got banned and for a mere 1 week.
    Without getting embroiled in the whys and why nots of the banning I have to say that post quoted is bang on.
    Dame also seemed to be very helpful quoting various regulations etc and generally being encouraging to the op up to the point where it became apparant that the op had planned all along to live off Social Welfare.

My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hagar wrote: »
    Without getting embroiled in the whys and why nots of the banning I have to say that post quoted is bang on.
    Dame also seemed to be very helpful quoting various regulations etc and generally being encouraging to the op up to the point where it became apparant that the op had planned all along to live off Social Welfare.

My 2c.

Hagar if you and dame want to have the dicussion of that topic in humanities or politics then go head.

the parenting forum is meant to be one that is supportive and to be perfectly honest the op does not seem to have a clue of how the system works and most likely is in for a shock when she sees how much she will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eth0 refuses to ban Blk150 for two abusive posts in the Work & Jobs forum. nesf has seen the same two posts (which I reported) and has also done nothing.

run_Forrest_run deserves at the very least a warning for a post on Parenting but again, that has been over-looked by the moderators there (Thaedydal et al) (although it has been reported).

I have been banned myself but the fact that others are not banned when they break rules and charters makes a mockery of banning anyone at all, ever.

If moderators may decide who and when to give infractions based on their personal likes/dislikes, then why have a charter or rules at all? Why not just do away with charters altogether and leave up a sticky on every forum stating the moderators may do as they wish so we better all suck up.

why didnt you drop me a PM?

• Advertisement

From reading the ops responses she seems to be very clued in to what she is and isn't entitled to. She seems to have spent a lot of time sussing out the best way to finance herself at public expense and to me she just seems to be looking for people to fill in any gaps she might have missed. She seems to have only started working after she got pregnant in the hope it would somehow help her benefits position. I don't see much in the way of "How will I cope with a bad feeder or colic" but I do see a lot of "Where can I get cash from without working for it".

I don't think OP would have posted in Politics or Humanities so it's hardly fair to expect me to go there. I think she knew her audience in Parenting would be more sympathetic. I think the thread was a cynical manipulation of the good nature of the posters in Parenting. Dame bought it for a while then saw that the thrust of the thread was very cash rather than baby oriented and called the OP on it.

Calling someone a "proper little madam" must be the least abusive abuse I have ever seen.
    Worth a warning ? Yeah OK. Worth a ban? Not my call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dame has been warned before for badgering and berating posters and not just in the parenting forum.

The charter of the parenting forum clearly states:
    Please be polite, and courteous when posting new threads and replying to existing threads.

Personally I think if the op is not in a situation to be able to have the child then the child should be put up or adoption or she should have had an abortion or even better have tried her damnest not to get pregnant,
    but I can't post that in parenting and Ireland post the laundries scandals encourages young women to keep thier babies
    and the state provides somewhat for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

nesf has seen the same two posts (which I reported) and has also done nothing.

nesf did do something, he told you not to bring your arguments from Parenting into Work/Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Thaedydal wrote: »
    but I can't post that in parenting

why not ?
    tell the truth, give an honest opinion.
    its a ridiculous forum if we are only allowed to post what people want to hear.

i dont see anything wrong with dames post
    its a disgrace that it resulted in a ban

the particular girl deserves alot worse abuse for planning to rip off the system

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i'll be polite and courteous here, its parenting forum, it says in the charter be polite and courteous. my mother was a single mother when i was young, and if i had seen these shenanigans, which in my mind constitute the term of trolling, i would (and rightly so) have been banned for what i would have said to dame.
    not on, not proper time place or what have you and certainly not how an adult should behave.
    Thaedydal is right, you were totally out of order.
    And ive had a back seat modding infraction.

sit it out, chill out, and pretty much cop on.

• Advertisement

nerin wrote: »
    certainly not how an adult should behave.

you say this about dame

well i would say this about the expectant mother, and her plans to take the system for a ride
    and i dont see why that cant be pointed out

icon5.gifEntitlements for young expectant mums???
    hi im 20 and expecting my first baby in april. im 27 weeks and have been working up until now, but im beginning to feel unable for work. Im caught in a bit of a sticky situation cos if i leave work i wont have any source of income. Is there any benefits or assistance i can claim while out of work waiting for the lil one to arrive?? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

if not, is there anything anyone can do for me??

thanks,
    Boards.ie newbie and excited but worried mum-to-be,
    Roz

Yeah, totally raping the system, how will we survive.:rolleyes:
    Dame = chip on her shoulder. Needs to get over it. got banned for being,well, i wont say anything incase she screams for a mod.
    she was picking on that girl, then started another thread out of spite.
    she was in the wrong.

this is a terrible attitude

why should i have to pay extra tax so people like this can get hand outs ?

originally posted by Hotmail
    Dear nerin,

green123 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Infractions not being doled out according to the charter - in the Feedback forum of boards.ie.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221112&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by nerin)---
    ---End Quote---

why should i have to pay extra tax so scum like this can get hand outs ?

why should i have to pay extra tax so people like this can get hand outs ?

Scum???

Not gonna waste my time on you, your nearly as bad as dame, as ive said already--

she was picking on that girl, then started another thread out of spite.
    she was in the wrong.

well this is how people feel
    should we hide this and pretend what she is doing is ok ?

intentionally setting out to screw the system is wrong
    no harm letting her know this

why did u change the original wording then?

why did u change the original wording then?

because of over sensitive people like you
    grow up and get into the real world
    this is the way people feel and speak

yes indeed, and if that is how one plans to debate, then they lose mucho respect amigo.
    maybe you and dame are the ones who need to grow up and stop this school yard bullying.
    Dame has been warned before for badgering and berating posters and not just in the parenting forum.
    thats what the thread is about, dame is complaining because she got a smack of the almighty banhammer and she wanted people to go down with her.

dame was right to complain because her ban was very unfair

most people would not be happy with this person screwing the system

so why try to hide this ?
    why only allow supportive posts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Get a room.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dame if your so unhappy with how boards is run why not setup your own message board and then you can rule it the way you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

green123 wrote: »
    why not ?
    tell the truth, give an honest opinion.

Not a parent, don't read the parenting forum, so I may be wrong in the following statement.

If that forum is the same as the rest of boards, then you are not only allowed to post what people want to hear.
    You might not want to hear this, but my experience on AH has taught me that it is very rare that people agree with everything posted by others.

Before I was an AH mod, I always disagreed with people who wanted to legalise cannabis. While I was an AH mod, I did the same. I am no longer a mod on AH, but I will still disagree with those people.

They don't want to hear my arguement, but I make it and I haven't been banned for it yet.

It's all in the wording and the attitude you use when posting.

Being aggressive and / or insulting people will never win an arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Firstly, id like to introduce myself.. I am the OP from the parenting thread where im presuming this all kicked off.
    I just came across dame's... "counter- thread" can i call it??? and that lead me here. I know my reply may not be welcome here but id like to clear up a few things or at least shed a little light on my situation. I had been willing to let this go, but seeing the reaction from people i just had to post.

Just like to say i feel totally grateful that there are people out that are willing to stick up for me without knowing much about me, it shows great compassion which i respect, admire and adore in people, but i also feel disgusted that others who kno just as little about me can jump to conclusions and make me feel like utter crap.

Macros42, thanks for your post. It made me feel a better about where i stand. Dame had me doubting my capabilities as a future mother in the thread, and i really felt crappy...

Origionally posted by Hagar
    "Without getting embroiled in the whys and why nots of the banning I have to say that post quoted is bang on.

My 2c."

It was apparant in my first post that i had stated i was looking for help from social welfare... i didnt become apparant half way through. I also thanked dame for when she was being helpful, i never took anything anyone said on that thread for granted. It was when she started basically accusing me of "sponging" that made me feel bad. And putting me in the stereotypical category of young single mothers who do actually try to screw the system.
    Originally posted by Hagar
    "From reading the ops responses she seems to be very clued in to what she is and isn't entitled to. She seems to have spent a lot of time sussing out the best way to finance herself at public expense and to me she just seems to be looking for people to fill in any gaps she might have missed. She seems to have only started working after she got pregnant in the hope it would somehow help her benefits position. I don't see much in the way of "How will I cope with a bad feeder or colic" but I do see a lot of "Where can I get cash from without working for it".

Yes, I spent a lot of time "sussing out" what i was "entitled" (my favourite word appartantly, according to dame, although I only use it once in the title and once in a post) to because i was not looking for an easy way out of working, i am unfortunatly unable to work due to the circumstances of my pregnancy and i was looking for some assistance to get my life as a mother off to a good start, if i could work i would and i dont appreciate basically being accused of laziness...

And i didnt know i was pregnant when i started work... i dont know how it "seems" like that at all... people and their jumping to conclusions...
    I don't think OP would have posted in Politics or Humanities so it's hardly fair to expect me to go there. I think she knew her audience in Parenting would be more sympathetic. I think the thread was a cynical manipulation of the good nature of the posters in Parenting. Dame bought it for a while then saw that the thrust of the thread was very cash rather than baby oriented and called the OP on it.

Ok, again. In my original post... i said.. i am a boards newbie!!!!! i had no clue what type of audiences are where, and in which forums!!! I just went with the first thing that came to my head, i do admit that it was the wrong place to post it, but i didnt kno any better at the time, so please stop with this over-analytical bull!!!!!
    Calling someone a "proper little madam" must be the least abusive abuse I have ever seen.
    Worth a warning ? Yeah OK. Worth a ban? Not my call."

And, qouting just that phrase "proper little madam" makes no sense wthout reading the rest of the thread. i wouldnt even have considered that abusive myself... it was her continous acting as if i was beneath her just because i cant provide for my baby(or myself until the baby is born) without help from social welfare.
    Originally posted by Thaedydal
    "Personally I think if the op is not in a situation to be able to have the child then the child should be put up or adoption or she should have had an abortion or even better have tried her damnest not to get pregnant,
    but I can't post that in parenting and Ireland post the laundries scandals encourages young women to keep thier babies
    and the state provides somewhat for the child."

And if you had posted what you thought, Thaedydal, I woudn't have taken that as abusive, i would have taken that as your opinion. I also took dames opinions and suggestions until it started to get a bit... how can i say... bitchy, i s'pose.
    originally posted by green123
    "the particular girl deserves alot worse abuse for planning to rip off the system"

Again, how can u jump to the conclusion that i was planning to rip off anything?????
    originally posted by green123 "well i would say this about the expectant mother, and her plans to take the system for a ride
    and i dont see why that cant be pointed out"

And again....
    origianlly posted by green123
    "this is a terrible attitude

why should i have to pay extra tax so people like this can get hand outs ?"

I worked, i paid tax too, we pay tax for lots of different things, one of which is when you are in a bad situation and need some help.... now im unable to work... surely askin for assistance from the people i paid money to while i was working isnt considered a hand out, right?????
    originally posted by green123
    "well this is how people feel
    should we hide this and pretend what she is doing is ok ?

intentionally setting out to screw the system is wrong
    no harm letting her know this"

Again, with the assumptions.... it makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

green123 wrote: »
    most people would not be happy with this person screwing the system

That's assuming that everyone thinks she is screwing the system. As has been pointed out several times, the young woman concerned also contributed to the system in her own right. Now she needs assistance and that is what the system is there for. It operates as a safety net and not everyone who benefits from the safety net of that system starts out with the intention of planning a wholesale exploitation of the system.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've not read into this whole debacle but I dont think educating yourself as to your entitlements is ripping anyone off...surely its simply informed citizenship. If you're objection is that such benefits shouldnt be made available in that manner, you're argument isnt with the OP.

DeV.

From the OP it seems as if she only started working after she discovered she was expecting. There was no mention of employment previous to the pregnancy. If this is accurate it looks like no contribution was ever made to the system by the op, it makes the whole affair look like a last ditch effort to get in benefit just before the child is born. Very cynical, very calculated IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Hagar wrote: »
    From the OP it seems as if she only started working after she discovered she was expecting. There was no mention of employment previous to the pregnancy. If this is accurate it looks like no contribution was ever made to the system by the op, it makes the whole affair look like a last ditch effort to get in benefit just before the child is born. Very cynical, very calculated IMHO.

Im am only 20. I did not have the oppurtuntity to work when I was in school, as i live in the country and lacked transport and because of family circumstances. I was in college until march of last year but had to leave due to personal problems.. I worked over the summer part time and off the books. Then I realised i should probably start looking for a more permanant job.... I got one. Then 3 weeks into starting I found out I was pregnant.... does that demystify anything for you??????? Please tell me how that is cynical and calculated???:mad:

Im am only 20. I did not have the oppurtuntity to work when I was in school, as i live in the country and lacked transport and family circumstances. I was in college until march of last year but had to leave due to personal problems.. I worked over the summer part time and off the books. Then I realised i should probably start looking for a more permanant job.... I got one. Then 3 weeks into starting I found out I was pregnant.... does that demystify anything for you??????? Please tell me how that is cynical and calculated???
    its not. don't mind them,this is being blown way out of proportion/reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cat pics are sooo 2007.

stupid-cat-in-chicken-costume.jpg

Anyway, on the serious note.. not all mods, mod exactly the same, its only natural.. i vote you live with it - hardly the cause of death to african babies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement