Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being around smokers??

Options
  • 21-01-2008 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all,
    Ok I have a question for you all.
    For people given up the fags and they don't want to take any other form of nicotine ever again thus given up smoking!
    So what if they are with a crowd of smokers and there is all fag smoke being blown around etc, through second hand smoke, won't you get relieve from your cravings by being there? Has anybody else thought of this or is it just me being a perfectionist LOL As I don't want to cheat in any way I want to be rid of the smoke for ever... many thanks Lance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Eh tbh i never really thought of it but i'd imagine the effect is not that bad in a well ventialated area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Lance111 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    For people given up the fags and they don't want to take any other form of nicotine ever again thus given up smoking!
    So what if they are with a crowd of smokers and there is all fag smoke being blown around etc, through second hand smoke, won't you get relieve from your cravings by being there? Has anybody else thought of this or is it just me being a perfectionist LOL As I don't want to cheat in any way I want to be rid of the smoke for ever... many thanks Lance..

when i quit i threw myself into the company of smokers, this was to get it over with as soon as possible and not deprive myself of the fresh air every hour.

i wouldnt worry about the nicotine tbh,

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭comerla

This really bothers me nowadays. On Firday I went out with a lage group of people for a birthday party. 90% of them (i.e.dozens of them) stayed outside all night smoking in the large, not unpleasant smoking area.

I stayed inside all night with one couple (both non-smokers), and a procession of people who came in for a minute or two. This was hard to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

comerla wrote: »
    This really bothers me nowadays. On Firday I went out with a lage group of people for a birthday party. 90% of them (i.e.dozens of them) stayed outside all night smoking in the large, not unpleasant smoking area.

I stayed inside all night with one couple (both non-smokers), and a procession of people who came in for a minute or two. This was hard to take.

Hasn't happened to me but that sounds sh!t. Not just dirty smokers but inconsiderate dirty smokers. I think it it was me I would have fooked off somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lance111

Hey guys...
    I have had a strange old day today LOL
    I am on day three of quiting and I found the craving stronger.. This could have been to do with my mate came to the house about 12.00pm with half a fag in her hand, I got a whiff as she walked past and I must be honest it smelled horrible!! But Anyway she hadn;t smoked for 24 hours that was her first fag LOL she only a light smoker..
    But all the time she was in my house I felt ingorant because we would normally be throwing fags back and foe to each other LOL but as A proud non-smoker now I oftered herb a chewing gum... LOL
    I suppose its teaching yourself how to live again... what do you all say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I tried to give up smoking a few years back.
    Going to the pub was bad.
    First of all a drink somehow made me want a fag even more.
    When being in the pub with a rather large group it is ok, there is always a few who stay inside.
    But it did happen also that the group was small (3 or 4 people) and "everybody" went outside for a smoke.
    You can do 2 things... stay inside and be alone, or go outside and end up smoking after a while again.
    In those situations the smoking ban is not of great help, at the end of the evening people wont even come inside anymore between fags, they just take their drink outside.

My non-smoking days didn't last that long.
    Not blaming anything else than my lack of will power though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hasn't happened to me but that sounds sh!t. Not just dirty smokers but inconsiderate dirty smokers. I think it it was me I would have fooked off somewhere else.

Ya can't expect everyone else to give them up because you have!

I was a little scared of hanging around smokers for the first few days I was off them, but when I did, it didn't bother me - no craving, no desire to light up.

If you feel like you are missing out while off the fags (as St. Allan Carr puts it), you're not gonna be off them very long anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lance111

My two friends came to the house tonight, they only smoked two fags and I opened the window while they were there, to let the smoke out. I didn't have any need to have a fag etc..
    In fact I have been having trouble by doughting myself! Has anybody had this at all, sometimes the time has flow by and I feel ok no cravings etc then I start to question myself stuff like 'are you sure you haven't had a fag'???? Because I feel so good about it, its strange, is this common, many thanks Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Most if not all people (myself included) give them up because we realise that they are probably going to kill us, once I copped on to this fact I had no problem heading outside with my smoking friends. I watched in amazement as they inhaled, secretly knowing how much harm they were doing themselves, one friend used to do that hacking cough thing every so often and it was music to my ears. Come on next time you are out there just look around at them particularly when its cold and believe me you will not want one. You are never going to stay away from them completely so you might as well grab the bull by the horns and get some exposure to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Has anybody had this at all, sometimes the time has flow by and I feel ok no cravings etc then I start to question myself stuff like 'are you sure you haven't had a fag'???? Because I feel so good about it, its strange, is this common, many thanks Lance.

Ha ha! yes i have had those feelings, you wonder if you have phased out and had a cigarette without realizing it! scary thoughts!
    Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Most if not all people (myself included) give them up because we realise that they are probably going to kill us, once I copped on to this fact I had no problem heading outside with my smoking friends. I watched in amazement as they inhaled, secretly knowing how much harm they were doing themselves, one friend used to do that hacking cough thing every so often and it was music to my ears.

not to be rude or anything but looking down your nose at current smokers is quite rude & stupid, you smoked yourself under your own pre-conditions so there is no point in getting holier than thou just because the world didnt drop the habit when you admitted the dangers to yourself.

"theres nothing more pure than a reformed whore"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 krissie

Hi all,
    Do you feel tempted when you smell it? Or does it turn you off?

You wouldn't be able to get much nicotine in you from passive smoking since the percentage is too small, especially if it's outside. But... it's probably not a good idea to be in closed space with too many smokers. If it makes you doubt whether you can abstain, stay clear until you're stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

cance wrote: »
    Most if not all people (myself included) give them up because we realise that they are probably going to kill us, once I copped on to this fact I had no problem heading outside with my smoking friends. I watched in amazement as they inhaled, secretly knowing how much harm they were doing themselves, one friend used to do that hacking cough thing every so often and it was music to my ears.

not to be rude or anything but looking down your nose at current smokers is quite rude & stupid, you smoked yourself under your own pre-conditions so there is no point in getting holier than thou just because the world didnt drop the habit when you admitted the dangers to yourself.

"theres nothing more pure than a reformed whore"

Quite possibily the most unhelpful post I've ever seen on this thread, looking down my nose indeed, what should I do shake them by the hand and say well done that they are still killing themselves, cop on will you. The best thing I ever did to improve my life was give up smoking and if I had to insult every smoker to continue staying off them I would consider it a small price to pay in fact it wouldn't even bother me.

My post was made to help another ex-smoker stay off them when mixing with smokers, my advice was and still is to look at them as they smoke and think about how they are killing themselves (if this is rude and stupid, why I can't imagine then fair enough) because if you think this it will keep you off them. As for my friends smokers cough being music to my ears, I stand over that 100% because his cough everytime I hear it makes me more forthright is my desire to continue being a non-smoker.

The OP should!!! feel smug everytime they are around smokers, by feeling sorry rather than envying them I believe it will it much easier to be around them.

I am as proud and as boastfull about quitting as the day I stopped, infact my pride grows everyday I am off them and if this makes me a 'pure reformed whore' well then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Last night was my first time in a pub since giving up (4 weeks now) - did myself proud. I didn't go out near the smoking area but I had no desire for a cig even after a skinful of booze!
    I was the only non-smoker in the group when we first went out - left sitting on my own when they all decided they wanted a cig simultaneously! Now I can appreciate where the girlfriend is coming from when she complained about me abandoning her for a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I have to say I agree completely with Reg'stoy.

You have to stay motivated and gloating (privately) is a good method I find.

If you are 100% commited to quitting, then there is no room for making allowances in other people's cases - sure, be compassionate/ understanding of addiction issues, but dont be an enabler.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i am a pure reformed whore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I started smoking when I was 12ish(really scummy I know, I was a troubled young man!haha) and I realized my dream was a military career and was rather depressed about my fitness level or literal,complete lack there of! So anyway,I woke up, and then I quit.... :D

That's it! So I started eating a lot more(A LOT MORE) and working out and in the last few weeks have the confidence to really work on cardio! Now I have arounbd 35mins of hard cycling and around 45 mins of running. And tbh, the only thing thats giving out on me is my muscle and not my breathing! ^^

So anyway, I can't ****ing stand being around smokers! I can't breath properly, When I'd be at my mothers or sisters house, I honestly have trouble breating while their smoking! I have to cover my mouth and nose with my top! It's really mank and smells horrible, plus it kinda chaffs my throat a bit! I reckon you just need to quit, and when you avoid it, it wont be because you dont want to get cravings, it'll be because you cant stand it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

i still love being around those that smoke, even the other day i asked someone to blow the smoke in my face, get he 78a in dublin and youll get your fill of fag smoke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Quite possibily the most unhelpful post I've ever seen on this thread, looking down my nose indeed, what should I do shake them by the hand and say well done that they are still killing themselves, cop on will you. The best thing I ever did to improve my life was give up smoking and if I had to insult every smoker to continue staying off them I would consider it a small price to pay in fact it wouldn't even bother me.

My post was made to help another ex-smoker stay off them when mixing with smokers, my advice was and still is to look at them as they smoke and think about how they are killing themselves (if this is rude and stupid, why I can't imagine then fair enough) because if you think this it will keep you off them. As for my friends smokers cough being music to my ears, I stand over that 100% because his cough everytime I hear it makes me more forthright is my desire to continue being a non-smoker.

The OP should!!! feel smug everytime they are around smokers, by feeling sorry rather than envying them I believe it will it much easier to be around them.

I am as proud and as boastfull about quitting as the day I stopped, infact my pride grows everyday I am off them and if this makes me a 'pure reformed whore' well then so be it.

I agree 100%. I have the same coughing spewing friend and it makes me feel good (and a little saddened that he has never and never will make an attempt to stop until he actually dies) knowing that hearing him encourages me to stay off them.

In this day and age, with the amount of knowledge, education and exposure on the harmfulness of tobacco, I cannot understand why anyone who smokes is not trying to give up every single day. I really can't.

Advertisement