Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback, how were you treated?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

This is for people who have ever brought an issue to the Feedback forum. How was the issue treated? Did you receive resolution? Did you receive ridicule at the hands of the moderators? Did you receive ridicule and resolution? Did you receive nothing but ridicule?

Do you think the "Feedback" forum should be re-named to more accurately reflect what occurs here. Any suggestions? Mine is; "Moderators Free-Rein Ridicule" forum. What do you think fellow boardsies?

How were you treated upon bringing your issue to the "Feedback" forum? 62 votes

Resolution, no ridicule
    0% 0 votes
    Resolution with ridicule
    27% 17 votes
    No resolution, no ridicule
    24% 15 votes
    No resolution but lots of ridicule
    6% 4 votes
    I Loikes Throwing Toys Outta Meh Pram (Click dis one Dame)
    30% 19 votes
    Bring On Teh Cat Pics!
    11% 7 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dame wrote: »
    This is for people who have ever brought an issue to the Feedback forum. How was the issue treated? Did you receive resolution? Did you receive ridicule at the hands of the moderators? Did you receive ridicule and resolution? Did you receive nothing but ridicule?

Hey, I have a great idea

Read the previous threads

...oh wait, you don't really want an answer. I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Only some people get ridiculed / flamed / cats. One group would be those that claim it's mods-v-everyone else. Mod's get flamed/ridiculed/cats. I got some. I also got some decent posts. Stupidity begets stupidity.

Fight Da Powah thread checklist (You played the Fight Da Powah card, I get to call you on it):
    - State moderators are oppressing everyone for everything - all unfairly. Check!
    - Rally the non-moderator group. "What do you think fellow boardsies?" Check! (Of course boardsies = moderators and non-members of the moderator group, but this leads to the next...)
    - Ignore silly little pedantry that others will claim to be facts, and often are fact. Ignore all common sense. Check!
    - In fact, ignore all specifics and facts and just rant. Check!
    - Continue to ignore anyone who points out that you are motivated primarily by the fact that you were in the wrong and were pulled up on it (Never learn from this and move on. Oh no!) Check!

Seriously, maybe if Feedback was used for what it was intended and not just bitching about bans, petty feuds and whatever else... maybe there wouldn't be so much crap. It should work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

bluewolf wrote: »
    Hey, I have a great idea

Read the previous threads

...oh wait, you don't really want an answer. I get it.

I have read a few of them. The latest ones seem to all fall into one category. I will actually be interested to see how many votes get cast in each category. Perhaps the mods won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The purpose of the Feedback forum is for users to give suggestions as to how the site is run.

Many people however use it as if it were some sort of complaints forum.

This is because they are clearly being idiots.

It's perfectly reasonable to ridicule people who are clearly being idiots, pretty much the most obvious response.

In fairness, people do tend to wait until they've completely hung themselves before ridiculing them, which is why you haven't been ridiculed yet.

I think that point may be soon though.

Karoma wrote: »
    Only some people get ridiculed / flamed / cats. One group would be those that claim it's mods-v-everyone else. Mod's get flamed/ridiculed/cats. I got some. I also got some decent posts. Stupidity begets stupidity.

Fight Da Powah thread checklist (You played the Fight Da Powah card, I get to call you on it):
    - State moderators are oppressing everyone for everything - all unfairly. Check!
    - Rally the non-moderator group. "What do you think fellow boardsies?" Check! (Of course boardsies = moderators and non-members of the moderator group, but this leads to the next...)
    - Ignore silly little pedantry that others will claim to be facts, and often are fact. Ignore all common sense. Check!
    - In fact, ignore all specifics and facts and just rant. Check!
    - Continue to ignore anyone who points out that you are motivated primarily by the fact that you were in the wrong and were pulled up on it (Never learn from this and move on. Oh no!) Check!

You are obviously falling into one category of the poll. Specifics were addressed in my other thread in this forum. You must have ignored them. :)

The above quoted text appears to be a rant to me. Careful now, you may start fulfilling your own made-up checklist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Talliesin wrote: »
    The purpose of the Feedback forum is for users to give suggestions as to how the site is run.

I would have thought that the Helpdesk forum was to deal with complaints, as per the sticky in this forum, but most of the feedback threads seem to be ban complaints/queries etc.

You are obviously falling into one category of the poll. Specifics were addressed in my other thread in this forum. You must have ignored them. :)
    Help me out here, because I cannot see which category fits me. I've posted several threads in Feedback with a different outcome each time.
    I was treating this thread on its own merits. I thought I'd be nice and ignore your other embarrassment of a thread. I got the impression that you didn't seem to like discussing specifics. I guess it's a matter of when it suits you.

The above quoted text appears to be a rant to me. Careful now, you may start fulfilling your own made-up checklist.
    Not really - a lot of my thread really points out that it's from both sides. I'm far more objective. than that. Try reading the post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Looks the "toys out of the pram" option was left off the poll and so was the " i like cats"
    could a passing smod add them please.

Talliesin wrote: »

This is because they are clearly being idiots.

It's perfectly reasonable to ridicule people who are clearly being idiots, pretty much the most obvious response.

In fairness, people do tend to wait until they've completely hung themselves before ridiculing them, which is why you haven't been ridiculed yet.

I think that point may be soon though.

I was instructed by a moderator (Thaedydal) to bring it to this forum. You'd better educate your moderators as to what this forum is actually for then.

It is perfectly reasonable to complain about people who do not apply their own rules (or guidelines) across the board in an even manner. If it were not the internet then people would be severely chastised for not doing so. People have been brought before tribunals for similar (not applying rules/guidelines in a uniform manner).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Useful threads get useful feedback, but as Karoma so succinctly put it - stupidity begets stupidity. The amount of people who come to Feedback whinging about some injustice or another that's been perpetrated against them, usually by a mod, is incredible. What's even more incredible is the number of posters in this group who are shown very early on in the thread why they have been banned (they usually leave out the most salient points themselves), and still persist in arguing about it, instead of taking their ban, which in fairness are usually no more than a week or two, and coming back as more productive members of the forum from which they were banned. These people are the reason many threads descend into farce, the OPs just never know when to admit they were wrong and are fighting a losing battle.

• Advertisement

It is perfectly reasonable to complain about people who do not apply their own rules (or guidelines) across the board in an even manner. If it were not the internet then people would be severely chastised for not doing so. People have been brought before tribunals for similar (not applying rules/guidelines in a uniform manner).

lollers

Oh really ? You had best tell that to Bertie, shame you weren't about to tell that to all the other despots in history.

But then it is the Internet...point moot, etc.
    If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.

Moderators have flexibility at our disposal, and most moderators use it in an attempt to be fairer. Moderators try not to apply arbitrary rules just for the hell of it and invariably end up applying a punishment that doesn't fit the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You'd better educate your moderators as to what this forum is actually for then.
    Oh no.

She knows that I'm not really just a user, but actually own all of the moderators, who I have been growing in a genetics lab and training to become my army of super-soldiers.

The secret's out. I shall release the poison gas to kill my creations, and burn the training camp to the ground (you'll all know when this has happened, since this website is hosted in that camp).

Thaedydal wrote: »
    lollers

Oh really ? You had best tell that to Bertie, shame you weren't about to tell that to all the other despots in history.

Ever heard of employment tribunals? You seem to only be familiar with one kind of tribunal. Never mind, I'm sure moderators aren't expected to know everything.

employment tribunals?

Are you under the daft impression that mods are employed by the owers of this site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Employment tribunals implies some sort of employment. any sort. Boards doesn't employ you.

Hell, boards doesn't employ me.

Just remember, its all because you're <insert ethnicity, gender or some other random defining characteristic OTHER than the fact that you're argumentative, abusive and generally obnoxious> that you were banned. OH NOES.

COME SEE THE VIOLENCE INHERENT IN THE SYSTEM, I'M BEING REPRESSED!!

employment tribunals?

Are you under the daft impression that mods are employed by the owers of this site ?

No, I'm pointing out to you that there are tribunals where people who unfairly apply rules end up. I don't care whether mods are paid or not.

No, I'm pointing out to you that there are tribunals where people who unfairly apply rules end up. I don't care whether mods are paid or not.

If there were tribunals set up for 'Big Mean Internet Injustices', they'd be paid for by money from your taxes and then you'd just bitch about that... it'd never end. Damn sponging judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was treated terrible. I came to feedback after being visciously beaten by a gang of hooligans consisting of Whitewashman, Terry, and Karoma, who I suspect are dope smugglers, and I expected some sort of justice, a suspended sentance, something! But oh no, that DeVore chained me to a radiatory, while Regi burned my arms and chest with cigarettes, while the rest of the staff stood around and laughed at my pain, ridiculing me. :(

I'm sure this is what it's like for most people who visit boards.ie...

What are these tribunals, and are you suggesting that mods should appear before them?

Now if I was the overly sensitive sort I could read that as threatening Boards with legal action, and we all know what happens after that, don't we?

• Advertisement

I was treated terrible. I came to feedback after being visciously beaten by a gang of hooligans consisting of Whitewashman, Terry, and Karoma, who I suspect are dope smugglers, and I expected some sort of justice, a suspended sentance, something! But oh no, that DeVore chained me to a radiatory, while Regi burned my arms and chest with cigarettes, while the rest of the staff stood around and laughed at my pain, ridiculing me.
    I cannot speak for the other two, but I am a drug smuggler. Did you not think it a bit odd that I removed something from your ass whereas they inserted something..? Stupid mule, tricks are for kids.

I was treated terrible. I came to feedback after being visciously beaten by a gang of hooligans consisting of Whitewashman, Terry, and Karoma, who I suspect are dope smugglers, and I expected some sort of justice, a suspended sentance, something! But oh no, that DeVore chained me to a radiatory, while Regi burned my arms and chest with cigarettes, while the rest of the staff stood around and laughed at my pain, ridiculing me. :(

I'm sure this is what it's like for most people who visit boards.ie...

Oh quit whinging you paid good money to be treated like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but is this thread in response to you not getting a pony on this thread?

Misguided cynicism, or Captain Obvious to the rescue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You see Dame, it's already happening to you.:p

It's common occurance for every thread to degenerate into ridicule and/or cat pictures - regardless of how valid a complaint or issue is. I've seen stupid threads that deserved it, and I've seen good, thoughtful threads raising valid issues that received the same ridicule. Whatever about 'Fight the Power', there's an equally lame 'Rally the mods' clique around here too at times. I'm sure you're familiar with most of the names.

But what can you do. I'd say the internet and more specifically boards is the only bastion in which certain people can exercise some sort of pseudo authority in their lives. ;)

captainobvioussf8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I voted "Resolution with redicule" as I wanted to be sure that dame knows that I like making fun of stupid people. I enjoy it. It makes my mangina all warm and fuzzy.

But wait a minute! Am I in fact susposed not to redicule people and treat them instead like the Customer Service Representive I'm susposed to be? Will the share price of boards.ie go down based on my rediculing our user base? Should I be fired from my cushy moderator job!?

Here's how Feedback works:

Example one:
    User posts query, query is investigated. Job done

Example two:
    User posts query, upon investigation, it appears user has lied about some of the facts. User is subject to redicule. User retorts, completely ignoring the facts. Users level of redicule suffering rises. Admin closes thread due to the fact that everybody else is piling in to enjoy the fun.

So, in simpler, easier to understand words; the level of stupidity of a user is directly proportional to the level of redicule they receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karoma wrote: »
    I cannot speak for the other two, but I am a drug smuggler. Did you not think it a bit odd that I removed something from your ass whereas they inserted something..? Stupid mule, tricks are for kids.

I feel so used and betrayed. :(

Zaph wrote: »
    What are these tribunals, and are you suggesting that mods should appear before them?

Now if I was the overly sensitive sort I could read that as threatening Boards with legal action, and we all know what happens after that, don't we?

/me goes and lights a candle in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

83% of people with a resolution and only 20% of them were ridiculed. Not bad, people seem pretty happy with Feedback.

• Advertisement

/me goes and lights a candle in hope.

That sounds like an unusually Catholic thing for you to be doing ;)

Advertisement