Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback, how were you treated?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

dame wrote: »
    Ever heard of employment tribunals? You seem to only be familiar with one kind of tribunal. Never mind, I'm sure moderators aren't expected to know everything.

Wow. If one of us had said that, ironically, it would have been one of the best pieces of ridicule ever in this forum.

We'd all have lolled at the employment tribunal idea and thought them terribly witty.

Here we've the OP ridiculing their own thread.

Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zaph wrote: »
    That sounds like an unusually Catholic thing for you to be doing ;)

Oh you think christianity made up offerings at shrines to bribe gods ?
    How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hey guys come on, this discussion about Voodoo or whatever is off-topic. We're having a high level investigation here which is highly important.

Let's just stick to the facts about All moderators being corrupt and ways to free the user from their evil yoke of oppression.

FOR FREEDOM! FOR HONOUR! FOR THE GOOD OF THE LAND!

surely they be witches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yeah, there were no candles until two thousand years ago it seems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh you think christianity made up offerings at shrines to bribe gods ?
    How odd.

No, but I thought you might at least have offered something more interesting than a candle. For me they always remind me of my granny, one of the Catholic church's all-time leading candle lighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

amp wrote: »
    surely they be witches

Dunno about the rest of you, but Im highly entertained reading this thread ;)

Lets grab one of us evil mod types and do that floating in water witch test! Who first? Ill be the one taking notes, so im not doing it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I think you need to read up on your bible mate:

Matthew 13:42
    And thus the Christ did put the tallow (for he named it so) betwix a stick and hanging down into the vessel upon which he did flow the wax. Having invented the candle he doth patented it and launched a worldwide marketing campaign. And it was good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Curiouscat.jpg

.....couldn't help it

Zaph wrote: »
    No, but I thought you might at least have offered something more interesting than a candle. For me they always remind me of my granny, one of the Catholic church's all-time leading candle lighters.

pff she is not worth opening the bottle of rum for, nevermind a vein.

Sounds to me like your granny was practising pagan rites before a statue.
    The Lutherans would agree with me.

surely they be witches

I tought they were freemasons ? well at least the male ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't think I've ever started a thread in Feedback, but I often read it.

Imho, threads normally get the resolution they deserve, though I would probably add that some touch of a sense of humour and an awareness that this is the internet and not the High Court can be useful to the OP ...

I'm not a mod, Dame, but looking back through your other thread in Feedback in particular, I suspect that if I was, your tone would get right under my skin, and I tend to be a fairly patient individual. Hell, it gets under my skin as it is ...

I say this not to be nasty, but in the hope that you might go back and have an objective look at the way you put your points across.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

+1 to randylonghorn.... lol
    i had one fite da powah thread, and that was resolved with both ridicule and fairness. ive come to love this place, even though it adds another tab to my firefox whenever i plug myself into the internets.
    chill out and enjoy the wild ride....
    and the cats.
    always enjoy the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Matthew 13:42
    And thus the Christ did put the tallow (for he named it so) betwix a stick and hanging down into the vessel upon which he did flow the wax.
    You sure that wasn't another of those whatjamacall 'em allemagorical bits, Amp?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A better gauge would be to discover how many people DIDNT deserve ridicule but got it anyway? Because that will give you an idea of how far off we have been. I contend not many.

There have been regular threads where a user reports something, suggests something or complains about something and they get treated pretty well and the thread is closed soon after.

You may think that most threads here are users being ridiculed but mostly you are seeing the big fire fights. But beyond that, there are a lot of threads where things get sorted quietly.

We ran a boards wide census there a while back where our satisfaction rating among the user community was over 8 out of 10 as I recall. That was based on a same size of about 2800.
    To give you an idea, the predictions for the various presidential primaries in the US are based on a sample size of 6-900... so 2800 is a decently representation base to extrapolate from.

I'd say that is more proof then your subjective observations, this poll or any amount of arguing. Wouldnt you?

DeV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Talliesin wrote: »
    The secret's out. I shall release the poison gas to kill my creations, and burn the training camp to the ground (you'll all know when this has happened, since this website is hosted in that camp).

Remember remember ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I voted "Resolution with redicule" as I wanted to be sure that dame knows that I like making fun of stupid people. I enjoy it. It makes my mangina all warm and fuzzy.

But wait a minute! Am I in fact susposed not to redicule people and treat them instead like the Customer Service Representive I'm susposed to be? Will the share price of boards.ie go down based on my rediculing our user base? Should I be fired from my cushy moderator job!?

Here's how Feedback works:

Example one:
    User posts query, query is investigated. Job done

Example two:
    User posts query, upon investigation, it appears user has lied about some of the facts. User is subject to redicule. User retorts, completely ignoring the facts. Users level of redicule suffering rises. Admin closes thread due to the fact that everybody else is piling in to enjoy the fun.

So, in simpler, easier to understand words; the level of stupidity of a user is directly proportional to the level of redicule they receive.

ampmoment.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

One of the problems here, to my mind, is that a lot of people on feedback say it's ok to "ridicule" posters who are, for example "obviously stupid" etc.

The problem is everyone has their opinions on what is a ridiculous feedback post, or what is reasonable.

Regardless, it makes me cringe with embarrassment for grown adults who've been around here for a long time, who keep posting "STFU" or cat pictures or who just round on people who they think are stupid, or are being unreasonable.

I know from being around here that I'm in a minority of those who would post something on here, but I think the above is unacceptable, regardless of what you think of the poster's gripe. If you try showing some feedback threads to non-boardsies, you'll see them cringe too.

I know it's a kind of power thing, as posters might wish they had the guts to say things like that to posters in real life. I know it's easy to be abusive to someone on the net whom you perceive to be an idiot.

But it looks dreadful. Really, it does. IN particular when half the people doing it would ban anyone in a flash who posted in one of their forums like that.

I also think calling people "spanners" or "muppets" is childish, regardless of it being "boards culture".

Maybe the newer posters should be aware that if they post on the helpdesk, only the admins and a few other punters (no idea what they are) can post replies there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote: »
    I'd say that is more proof then your subjective observations, this poll or any amount of arguing. Wouldnt you?

Would ya ever quit being so reasonable DeV, nobody wants to hear it!

For the record, at times, on Boards, I've been treated dreadfully unfairly and my human rights have been abused no end.
    Scared for life I am.
    Hang your heads in shame Admins, Mods etc....

Vex - pax

tallaght01 wrote: »
    One of the problems here, to my mind, is that a lot of people on feedback say it's ok to "ridicule" posters who are, for example "obviously stupid" etc.

Oh noes you and your mind have a problem again.
    The problem is everyone has their opinions on what is a ridiculous feedback post, or what is reasonable.

Oh noes people not all thinking the same thing and not all behaving in the same way. I think you will find that if people are over stepping the mark that
    mods and smods and admin will step in and stop a genuine thread from derailing.
    Regardless, it makes me cringe with embarrassment for grown adults who've been around here for a long time, who keep posting "STFU" or cat pictures or who just round on people who they think are stupid, or are being unreasonable.

Wow ever just think that the internet is like not for you ?

Seriously go read SA forums or enclypedia dramtica and you will that for the most part posters on this site are pretty darn civil.
    I know from being around here that I'm in a minority of those who would post something on here, but I think the above is unacceptable, regardless of what you think of the poster's gripe.

Really I think she was treated fairly all things considered.

Her 1 week ban still stand tis not like it was upped to a month or made a permaban due to her diatribe via pm to me or her two threads in feedback as that would be an abuse.
    If you try showing some feedback threads to non-boardsies, you'll see them cringe too.

And ? I don't expect people who are not au fait with a subculture to understand it, why would you ?
    I know it's a kind of power thing, as posters might wish they had the guts to say things like that to posters in real life.

Personally I would never say anything on boards I would not say in person and personally to anyone I directly respond to.
    I know it's easy to be abusive to someone on the net whom you perceive to be an idiot.

Secondly the irony of the piece above it that posters coming here to fightdapowar are doing just that. The think the mod is wrong and is an idiot and get abusive and confrontational in a way that most ( i hope for thier own sake ) are not in real life. But hey this is not real life this is the internet.
    But it looks dreadful. Really, it does. IN particular when half the people doing it would ban anyone in a flash who posted in one of their forums like that.

Mods are poster outside of thier own forums esp in feedback.

If you want to start reporting all the posts which you have an issue with go head I am sure the admins will appericate you input.
    I also think calling people "spanners" or "muppets" is childish, regardless of it being "boards culture".

There are forums there that I consider childish, regardless of it being "boards culture" but personally i live and let live if you can't then take it up with the admins or go post somewhere else or go create your own site with your preferred rules.

I don't think saying someone is a spanner in the works is that bad at all.

Maybe the newer posters should be aware that if they post on the helpdesk, only the admins and a few other punters (no idea what they are) can post replies there.

Only the admins and smods can reply to the helpdesk and there are posts who know this and have used it as a platforum to launch scathing personal attacks on mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I was treated terrible. I came to feedback after being visciously beaten by a gang of hooligans consisting of Whitewashman, Terry, and Karoma, who I suspect are dope smugglers, and I expected some sort of justice, a suspended sentance, something! But oh no, that DeVore chained me to a radiatory, while Regi burned my arms and chest with cigarettes, while the rest of the staff stood around and laughed at my pain, ridiculing me. :(

I'm sure this is what it's like for most people who visit boards.ie...

That was a funny Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I think the vast majority of people get the answer that they were asking for, not necessarily waht they wanted.
    But if someone doesnt like the answer they get, and then starts the usual fight stuff, thats when people start to get silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I put down sorted with ridicule... More so because i see a lot of it. I do not think i was ridiculed on here, at least not that i can think of.
    I think the vast majority of people get the answer that they were asking for, not necessarily waht they wanted.

I think this should say "I think the vast majority of people get the answer that they deserve, not necessarily what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Usually anyone with a fair complaint who doesn't abuse anyone gets help.
    My first feedback thread was BS, I got so much negative rep although thanks to 'that thread' in tcn I soon turned green again...
    those were the days :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Saruman wrote: »
    I do not think i was ridiculed on here, at least not that i can think of.

Let me remedy that shocking oversight.
    Saruman, YOU SUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oh noes people not all thinking the same thing and not all behaving in the same way. I think you will find that if people are over stepping the mark that
    mods and smods and admin will step in and stop a genuine thread from derailing.

I think you will find that quite often they don't always step in when they should because, as we are always telling users, the Admins are busy people and don't always have time to read the threads. Oh and on Feedback, we all know that the Admins take a dim view of SMods interfering too much whereas regular mods can't mod threads to stop them being derailed!

Some users do set themselves up for ridicule, that doesn't mean that the usual suspects have to dish it out. ;)

On another note, you really don't like tallaght01 do you? Let the fascination with tallaght01 go, please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Let me remedy that shocking oversight.
    Saruman, YOU SUCK

Thanks... Now my vote on being abused is validated :p

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I think you will find that quite often they don't always step in when they should because, as we are always telling users, the Admins are busy people and don't always have time to read the threads. Oh and on Feedback, we all know that the Admins take a dim view of SMods interfering too much whereas regular mods can't mod threads to stop them being derailed!

Report enough posts in a thread and the admins will notice.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    On another note, you really don't like tallaght01 do you? Let the fascination with tallaght01 go, please! :)

Oh please I responded civilly enough tis not like I told him to go suck my cóck or started a gaydar profile of him looking to be spitefired. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Oh please I responded civilly enough tis not like I told him to go suck my cóck or started a gaydar profile of him looking to be spitefired. :rolleyes:

Maybe in your head you did, but the important thing is that you illustrated how people get treated on here when they make a reasonable, civil point that you don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tallaght01, you're a complete troll and have been since day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Boston wrote: »
    tallaght01, you're a complete troll and have been since day one.

mr pot, call on line 4. Its a mr kettle for you....

Advertisement