Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback, how were you treated?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Maybe in your head you did, but the important thing is that you illustrated how people get treated on here when they make a reasonable, civil point that you don't agree with.

Maybe you and others are over-sensitive? Her reply was "civil". It might not have been overly-nice, but it was civil. I often wonder how people like you get through life if you cannot take any sort of criticism. I imagine it involves bubblewrap. Lucky bubblewrapped bastards. *pop pop*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

In fairness Boston admits he's a troll, even though he does contribute on the site too.

God I feel dirty for saying that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I started reading this thread.

And I saw the word 'tribunal'.

...seriously.

Tribunal.

No, no I still can't get far enough past the sheer, breathtaking ridiculousness of even the thought of starting to draw that sort of a comparison.

Tribunal.

For fuck sake.

OP I get a kicking everytime I come to feedback ...... but you reap what you so. Do I deserve it everytime? No, but I've been enough o a prick myself for it not to be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

God damnit its just the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mr pot, call on line 4. Its a mr kettle for you....

You know it babe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Meh i would like to say that feedback is a waste of time for bringing things up in. The usual suspects just jump on board. Some (one in particular) has a serious chip on her shoulder. But sure who cares?

On the other hand some of the threads deserve ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Karoma wrote: »
    Maybe you and others are over-sensitive? Her reply was "civil". It might not have been overly-nice, but it was civil. I often wonder how people like you get through life if you cannot take any sort of criticism. I imagine it involves bubblewrap. Lucky bubblewrapped bastards. *pop pop*

I would imagine I have to take more abuse in real life then you do. At this stage it rarely bothers me, as much as I hate lack of manners in grown adults.

My post wasn't about me. I just think that if the decision regarding who can be ridiculed lies with the clique of feedback regulars, then we're going to put people off feeding back.

We don't have many problems over in biology/medicine, but I would like to think that if a user had a problem with how they were treated by me, they would feel comfortable posting here. As things stand, I don't think that's the case. That's the only point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh please I responded civilly enough tis not like I told him to go suck my cóck or started a gaydar profile of him looking to be spitefired. :rolleyes:

Wow, brings back memories...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You're still very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Report enough posts in a thread and the admins will notice.
    It's more to do with who's online as opposed to how many reports come through.
    Hopefully when boards gets a hold of someone full time, the rare but nasty feedback threads can be locked and some bans handed out.

For the record, Smods won't moderate any threads in Feedback (unless obviously someone is spamming). The admins want all users to be equal on this forum.

Thaed's point about other forums is pretty valid. Even on feedback the threads tend to stay fairly on-topic but just get a little heated and blunt. Cat pictures were a bit of a fad and although they still appear, I can only remember a handful of feedback threads that were completely inundated with them.

Imagine one of the more vicious threads here on feedback, replete with abuse and cat pictures. Some other sites have them too. In every thread.

Obvious rule: If you come in all guns blazing, people will return fire. This is a site with an active community and plenty of people (mods and non-mods) will see an attack on the site as an attack against the community, and they'll feel compelled to respond. There is no way to avoid this and there's no point in complaining about it, it's human nature. If there was no community there'd be no site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

OH NOES!!! I voted before the cat option. :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Boston wrote: »
    You're still very popular.

Soon I'll be as revered as you, no doubt. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Interesting thread this. Some good stuff above.
    seamus wrote: »
    Obvious rule: If you come in all guns blazing, people will return fire. This is a site with an active community and plenty of people (mods and non-mods) will see an attack on the site as an attack against the community, and they'll feel compelled to respond. There is no way to avoid this and there's no point in complaining about it, it's human nature. If there was no community there'd be no site.

This is an excellent comment ... really sums up boards imho.

The problem is when someone comes making a valid point with NO guns blazing and gets attacked or abused/insulted pre-emptively. I cant understand this approach by the powers that be tbh ... the OP is almost certain to respond in kind and the whole thread descends into chaos and the original point gets lost. Definately makes people less likely to post here on feedback methinks.

There also seems to be a strong "party line" here with the usual suspects mindlessly rowing in, seemingly with no opinion of their own. Holy **** lads, communist Russia had nothing on ye!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    The problem is when someone comes making a valid point with NO guns blazing and gets attacked or abused/insulted pre-emptively. I cant understand this approach by the powers that be tbh ...

Well now, you'll have to post up some links here to back that up.
    I've seen many a valid question answered well in this forum.
    That tends to only happen though when the OP actually makes a valid, logical, intelligent comment to begin with.
    Setting up two threads in the feedback forum to cover the same topic would not be covered under the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I started a feedback thread once.
    Someone tried to ridicule me, but I didn't add fuel to the fire.
    The situation was resolved, although one of the admins did give me a bollicking.

Boards runs differently to any other interet forum I have ever used.
    It took me a while to get the feel of the place, but once I did, I liked it and decided to stick around.
    It's a lot more strict than most forums out there, but that can be a good thing for the most part.

Yeah, we'd all like to see more free speech, but as this site is hosted in Ireland, it is subject to Irish laws, which are a lot more strict than those in other countries.

The point is, you sign up here, you agree to follow the rules. If you don't follow them, you get banned. Simple as that.
    Sometimes mistakes are made, but we're only human.

The problem is when someone comes making a valid point with NO guns blazing and gets attacked or abused/insulted pre-emptively.
    I have seen this happen. But only in those situations (mentioned by amp) where the OP deliberately misleads. That is, the poster goes into a forum, generally acts the tit, upsets the natives and ends having most of his posts pulled and gets banned.

Then they arrive on feedback, do this nice big civil post, all about, "If I broke the charter I apologise, but I didn't see anything there I broke. All I did was ask for advice on X and my posts got deleted. How come moderators can just ban without notice".

The moderator or another poster from the affected forum replies calling the OP full of ****, pointing out the multiple warnings and charter abuses and the usual stuff ensues.

Terry wrote: »
    I started a feedback thread once.
    Someone tried to ridicule me, but I didn't add fuel to the fire.

See thats where I have gone wrong in the past. People will be dicks to you but if you dont rise to it they give up. Should you have to put up with their crap? No, but no one is going to ban them while Feedback is allowed to run like the Thunderdome.

That said a ban was handed out recently after I received a fair bit of personal abuse ... there is hope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have seen this happen. But only in those situations (mentioned by amp) where the OP deliberately misleads.

i can never understand though why the troll trains get fuelled and drag out to a couple of pages

faceman wrote: »
    i can never understand though why the troll trains get fuelled and drag out to a couple of pages
    The compulsion to respond. :)

Trolls are successful because people feel the need to refute controversial/incorrect viewpoints, even when the poster is blatantly a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

faceman wrote: »

Because people are bored I imagine.

Anythings better than working. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to say I love the feedback forum as it more like the thunderdome for older people (even though quite a few of the posters don't act like it) and it has no Le Rack threads in it (generally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

The compulsion to respond. :)

Trolls are successful because people feel the need to refute controversial/incorrect viewpoints, even when the poster is blatantly a troll.

Brilliant. And true.

Never have I seen the nature of Internet communities summed up so accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

r3nu4l wrote: »
    On another note, you really don't like tallaght01 do you? Let the fascination with tallaght01 go, please! :)

Its the other way around r3nu4l.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The problem is when someone comes making a valid point with NO guns blazing and gets attacked or abused/insulted pre-emptively. I cant understand this approach by the powers that be tbh ... the OP is almost certain to respond in kind and the whole thread descends into chaos and the original point gets lost. Definately makes people less likely to post here on feedback methinks.
    I've only seen one or two genuine threads/posters being abused. Considering the number of threads created in this forum, it's almost nothing. Just because the rest may seems "valid" or you don't notice the "guns" does not mean that they are; it's more an indication as to how ill-informed you are. Everyone lies. OP's lie more often than the average person. Every one of them post with an agenda, some of them are coy.
    A rough example of a different type of thread in here: OP makes requests to know how much it costs to run Boards.ie and suggests that he'd be willing to pay more, etc. He gets the piss taken out of him. Other members and an admin or two wade in and defend the chap, not realising that the guy has a history of talking through his arse and was worse than netpisskid could ever be.
    That said, I and the majority of the Feedback regulars do not assume every single thread is started by a Fight Da Powah! type. Even if we do think it, they usually get a few posts in / 1 page to get somewhere and prove that they're not.
    We're a cynical bunch; why shouldn't we be after so many idiots abuse Feedback to fuel their own agendas?

There also seems to be a strong "party line" here with the usual suspects mindlessly rowing in, seemingly with no opinion of their own. Holy **** lads, communist Russia had nothing on ye!
    And yore worse than Hitler. *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Marksie wrote: »

?

Not true, dude

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Marksie wrote: »
    Not from where I sit Marksie, I have the internet and read these boards quite a lot too you know. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Not from where I sit Marksie, I have the internet and read these boards quite a lot too you know. :p

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

They touched my special area :(

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    They touched my special area w63602294.gif

Ok I fixed that for you.

Advertisement