Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The greatest comebacks of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

meh, cl final 05 ftw. we started with 9 men (Baros and Troare are not footballers)and an unfit Kewell (is there another one?) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Stekelly wrote: »
    meh, cl final 05 ftw. we started with 9 men (Baros and Troare are not footballers)and an unfit Kewell (is there another one?) .
    Yeah but that one is too obvious. Let's have some less celebrated ones!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mine would have to be that very special night in Istanbul. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

European Cup final. Crespo makes it 3-0 before half time. "Game well and truly....Over".

Cheers Andy Gray. Glad I stayed to watch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Santry Siro massacre. One of the best games Ive ever been at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5S4KorpE0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

19/11/05 Southampton 3 - Leeds 4

Southampton were 3-0 up and Leeds only equalised a couple of minutes from the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJagxcCY41E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stekelly wrote: »
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Mine would have to be that very special night in Istanbul. ;)
    DaBreno wrote: »
    European Cup final. Crespo makes it 3-0 before half time. "Game well and truly....Over".

Cheers Andy Gray. Glad I stayed to watch anyway.

Undoubtedly it was the stuff of miracles and if Liverpool had scored a 4th then it would be unrivalled as the best comeback ever.
    But, the fact that Liverpool never took the lead in the game I think should rank it behind a lot of comebacks where a team has come from 3 down and scored 4 to win the game.

Anyway, I have the winner on this one;)

Marseilles v Montpellier (Aug '98)

Marseilles 0-4 down (a young Laurent Robert got one of the goals) and booed off at half-time by their own fans.
    The mercurial Christophe Duggary comes off the bench and almost single handedly leads his team to an almost inexplicable 5-4 win (scoring 2 / setting up 1)...Laurent Blanc winning it with a 90 min peno won by Robert Pires

...I thank you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ahh go on so, since all the scousers are ignoring the request to bring up less celebrated ones ill throw this one in, greatest footballing night of my life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYE6CRMKdLI&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Deportivo - Milan 1-4 and 4-0 (2004)

Champions League quarterfinals. The European champions Milan came to La Coruna leading 4-1 from the first leg against the same Deportivo who had been slaughtered 8-3 to Monaco four months before. The same Deportivo!? Or was it a different Milan from the one everybody knew? Never, never were Milan so impotent and never so thoroughly beaten than on that night at the Riazor.

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/comebacks.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Zaph wrote: »
    19/11/05 Southampton 3 - Leeds 4

Southampton were 3-0 up and Leeds only equalised a couple of minutes from the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJagxcCY41E

Im sorry lads but it has to be this one. Leeds were 3-0 down with 16 minutes to go. We scored 4 goals and won the game. None of the above even come close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote: »

What an unbelievable comeback. I listened to it on 5 Live and was gonna turn off at the half once I heard Joey had been sent. I persevered though and was rewarded. How we did it I don't know but it was in large part to Arne Aresen who made on of the best double saves I've ever seen. Love Distin's goal best as everyone expected a blaster from Tarnat but he just dinked it beautifully over the top.

For Jon Macken to pop up with the winner shows just what a ridiculous game it was.
    Deportivo - Milan 1-4 and 4-0 (2004)

Champions League quarterfinals. The European champions Milan came to La Coruna leading 4-1 from the first leg against the same Deportivo who had been slaughtered 8-3 to Monaco four months before. The same Deportivo!? Or was it a different Milan from the one everybody knew? Never, never were Milan so impotent and never so thoroughly beaten than on that night at the Riazor.

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/comebacks.html

Yeah that's the one I was gonna go with. Fantastic stuff.

As a City fan, the comeback of all comebacks has to be the 1999 Playoff Final. I was 14 years of age and balling my eyes in the boozer as we were 2-0 down with a minute to go. Horlock pulled one back and I honestly started to believe. Then in the fourth minute of injury time Paul Dickov cemented a place in my heart forever with the most dramatic of equalisers. Nicky Weaver then became the hero with his saves in the shootout.

The game carries such significance as the club wouldn't be where it is today had we not won that game and gotten out of Division 2.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Im sorry lads but it has to be this one. Leeds were 3-0 down with 16 minutes to go. We scored 4 goals and won the game. None of the above even come close.

Ah come on now. City had ten men against Spurs and scored four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6jsUVh8ag&feature=related

Inter went 2-0 down to Sampdoria, then scored 3 in the last 6 minutes of the game to win 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

kryogen wrote: »
    ahh go on so, since all the scousers are ignoring the request to bring up less celebrated ones ill throw this one in, greatest footballing night of my life

Thats gotta be the winner what with it clinching treble n all.

Another cheeky candidate for greatest comeback :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hwhcvgo4rYk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah come on now. City had ten men against Spurs and scored four.
    it was a sensational comeback but it says nearly more about how guttless Spurs have been for the last 15 years than how brave/committed man city are.
    classic commentator quote "what a long second half its going to be for manchester city!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

this is the 2nd time an american football video has been posted here but i just have to put it up!
    well worth watching this - probably the greatest comeback of all time by any team in any sport.

Background: Plano East down 41-17 with 3 minutes to go.but they werent quite finished.....

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sorry lads - only one winner.

Istanbul 2005, 3 nil half time against a terrifyingly good AC Milan side.

The rest in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »

I would say the comeback against Juve was bigger - given that we seemed dead and buried having conceeded two, almost a 3rd (was one disallowed....?) then Keane got the ball rolling and it was FULL STEAM AHEAD BARCELONA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

CL final for me aswell.given the importance of the match i would rate it ahead of some of the league games mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Wouldn't be as quick to count the Liverpool or Man City (playoff) wins as the top 1s mainly because they didn't actually win over the 90 minutes. United vs. Bayern stands out as the big 1 for me.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Wouldn't be as quick to count the Liverpool or Man City (playoff) wins as the top 1s mainly because they didn't actually win over the 90 minutes. United vs. Bayern stands out as the big 1 for me.

United were only one goal down. Liverpool were three and City two and they had the bottle to go through the shootout too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

1999 - Bayern Munich 1 Manchester United 2

i can't say more really, the most dramatic ending to a football match i've ever seen in my life, incredible comeback

Spurs 3 Manchester City 4 a few years ago and Rangers' 5 goal comeback in the last half hour in their 5-3 win over Shelbourne in 1998 are other comebacks that really stand out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I reckon one of the best comebacks was Bohs going to Santry to play Shamrock Rovers and at half time Rovers were 4-1 up.

The best 2nd half of all time happened and Bohs put 5 past Rovers to finish the game 6-4.

Thats a proper comeback none of this comeback for a draw crap and win on peno's !!! ;):p

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I reckon one of the best comebacks was Bohs going to Santry to play Shamrock Rovers and at half time Rovers were 4-1 up.

The best 2nd half of all time happened and Bohs put 5 past Rovers to finish the game 6-4.

Thats a proper comeback none of this comeback for a draw crap and win on peno's !!! ;):p

Ah but that was in the eL and sure that's not that's not even proper football so how could that count?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That American Football vid posted is quite sensational..

my comeback is bigger then your come back.

'Ave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

'ave it?!??!?!

is this the new "viper"?

So, if it isn't all that difficult to score 2 goals in injury time, sure it was really quite easy for liverpool to get 3 in 45! :P

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    'ave it?!??!?!

is this the new "viper"?

No, cause I ain't backing the Viper movement.

'Ave it.

Finally someone with a bit of sense in regards to the Viper thing....anyway they are leaving themselves open to serious abuse by naming him after something that is slimey and spends all its time rolling about on the ground! :D

'Ave that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Aye, but he's also the best footballer in the world at the moment and he plays for us - so 'ave that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kingp35 wrote: »

yes, but leeds are insignificant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

not a match but a league win - Arsenal beating pool in 89

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Finally someone with a bit of sense in regards to the Viper thing....anyway they are leaving themselves open to serious abuse by naming him after something that is slimey and spends all its time rolling about on the ground! :D

'Ave that!

'Ave that? 'Ave THAT!?

now thats just silly. Nobody wants that, everybody wants it

Besides, the only nicknames should have meaning or something, not just some random word cause its cool.

Silvestre - EIH.
    Gary 'The Power' Neville (not sure where that comes from)
    Fletcher - Fergiesson
    O'Shea - O'Pies
    Anderson - Neo
    Saha - Glassman
    Carrick - BBB
    Giggs - Sir HoH
    Rio - WGT
    Ronaldo - Ronnie or SLJ

Can't think of others at the moment.

As for a comeback....

Barcelona - Atletico Madrid 5-4, 1997.

3-0 down at half time, 4-2 after 15 mins in the second half - Ronaldo, Figo and Pizzi earning the draw which saw barca through 7-7 on away goals.

'Ave it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nunu wrote: »
    Undoubtedly it was the stuff of miracles and if Liverpool had scored a 4th then it would be unrivalled as the best comeback ever.
    But, the fact that Liverpool never took the lead in the game I think should rank it behind a lot of comebacks where a team has come from 3 down and scored 4 to win the game.

Anyway, I have the winner on this one;)

Marseilles v Montpellier (Aug '98)

Yeah but it was Milan!! in the champions league final!! kind of a tougher ask than doing the same against montpieller or spurs.

kida wrote: »
    not a match but a league win - Arsenal beating pool in 89

:confused: I don't get it?

It's not as if Arsenal were loads of points behind in the table and managed to reel Liverpool in. If anything Arsenal almost threw it away. I remember their points lead over Liverpool was in double figures in the new year and then liverpool went on a phenomenol run winning 13 and drawing 1 going into the Anfield showdown.
    If Liverpool had won the league that season, it would have been an incredible achievement - even more insurmountable than when Utd reeled in Newcastle.

...oh, and why is no one showing any recognition to my contribution earlier in this thread? I mean come on they were 4-0 down and won 5-4!! I'm the undisputed winner on this one:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While we're on the subject of comebacks and straying away from soccer a bit I'd like to post this.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCDfJH6eRY

As regards the scale of the comeback it doesn't match the previously posted Amercian football vid but nothing has ever matched it as regards total insanity.

For a supporter it would be one of the moments of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You have to deal with the old "you cant win the prem on penalties" mentality :D :rolleyes: One of the better laughs I had in 2007 were from Man U fans claiming winning the prem is more prestigious than appearing in (but not winning) the CL final. Which really is a bit like saying its better to win the Confederations Cup than lose in the WC final.

Jesus I was so hoping for one in the dying seconds of the Italy v Scotland game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

shane86 wrote: »
    You have to deal with the old "you cant win the prem on penalties" mentality :D :rolleyes: One of the better laughs I had in 2007 were from Man U fans claiming winning the prem is more prestigious than appearing in (but not winning) the CL final. Which really is a bit like saying its better to win the Confederations Cup than lose in the WC final.

Jesus I was so hoping for one in the dying seconds of the Italy v Scotland game :(

I don't know about more prestigious, but it's definitely a much better achievement.

You have to play consistently well over 38 games to win the league.

Man Utd have proven to be consistently better than everyone else at doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

You have to play consistently well over 38 games to win the league.

Yes. Against at least 12 poor to average teams. Compared to the CL where you face the best of x and y European country.

:confused: Go have a lie down there Shane:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Including the best teams from Norway, Holland, Scotland and Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Villa 4-1 at White Hart Lane and Kaboul scoring in injury time to make it 4-4 was the best I've witnessed in person.

Probably the greatest giant killing in FA Cup history, 2-1 down in the first leg only for their player-manager to score a 25 yarder to bring the game to a replay...1-0 down with 8 minutes to go, Ronnie Radford scores a screamer to bring the game to extra time, and Hereford win 2-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ze42I6NEo&feature=related

Yes. Against at least 12 poor to average teams. Compared to the CL where you face the best of x and y European country.

and some of those 'best' sides are crap. Sparta Prague? Rosenbourg (though they were better this season) Anderlecht - how many games did they go without a win?

There are as many poor to average teams in the CL.

Hell, Porto and Monaco played in the final a few years ago - and neither team were actually that good. They got some great results along the way, but that can happen in cup footie as much as it can in league footie - and it can have a much bigger impact in cup footie.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    United were only one goal down. Liverpool were three and City two and they had the bottle to go through the shootout too.

Em Man United scored the exact same amount of goals as City like. Except that was to win. The Liverpool comeback was obviously class, I just think getting 2 goals in the last minute or so to win a game is even better.

Woah, you're deluded beyond belief.

I'd probably give it to Liverpool

They had a very average team and were playing a great Milan team. It just seem to come out of nowwhere. Man Utd in the CL final everyone believed they were still in the game

DSB wrote: »
    Woah, you're deluded beyond belief.

What he said

Will give him the benifit of the doubt it's a sarcastic post though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Erm, you must be Rafa in disguise. How come every phone-in program after Liverpool perform abysmally in the League, is all about Liverpool winning the League, and how come Liverpool's biggest League games in recent seasons are all about 4th place. With Rafa's record for Liverpool in the CL the best of all the English clubs why is he under such pressure.
    It's the new age fan that thinks the CL is the be all and end all of soccer. Internationals, FA Cup and League Cup are all secondary and dying because of this thinking.
    I bet if you did a poll of Liverpool fans and come to think of it most fans, what would they rather have a Premier League title or runners-up in Champions League 90% would favour the former. In fact 52% of boardsies would rather win the Premier League than the CL.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055026598&highlight=premier+league+v+champions+league

• Advertisement
Advertisement