Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need an excuse for my landlord?

Options
  • 21-01-2008 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically the apartment i live in is damp- very damp- and in BAD need of new carpets and the cooker is broken. My landlords a lovely man but hes in his 80s and keeps forgetting to fix things when i mention it to him. The apartment above us just became available and he owns it. Its all newly done up and spotless, my partner and I want to move into it but i need an excuse to give teh landlord. I dont want to tell him the real reason why.

My partner says i should just tell him the dampness is affecting my ashma

Im meeting him tomorrow can anyone think of a good excuse for wanting to take the better apartment upstairs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

0p0p0p0 wrote: »
    My partner says i should just tell him the dampness is affecting my ashma

Go with that....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You already have it, go with the ashma reason. My god you're paying the man good money for a sub standard dwelling. If there is another available you should have first dibs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont see the problem hes not even losing your business. You could tell him anything under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

If you're a good tenant and he gets along with you - which it sounds like it from your post he's not going to want to lose you as a tenant.

Tell him the dampness is affecting your asthma, you're thinking of moving but you like the area. If he doesn't offer the one upstairs then suggest it. He might be doing the one upstairs for a family member, if so suggest that the two of you move into it for a short while so the downstairs can be done up and the dampness fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Boy, I know what its like, Ive rented a few kips in my time.

Its great that you get on with your landlord, but to be honest being 80 and 'nice' is no excuse, he has a duty to provide a certain standard of accomodation (legally).

& I dont think dampness affecting your asthma is an excuse - it will!

I would say lay it on the line politely - but firmly. 'The flat we are in is substandard and needs to be addressed, however to make life easier on you we can either move upstairs, or pay to get this flat sorted and deduct it from the rent'

Deduction from rent always gets a landlord into action! And he has absolutely no redress!

(I am now a landlord myself by the way, and you would be surprised how many rights you have got... the place I rent out is WAY nicer than the one I live in!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Your asthma is a good reason, although I wouldn't be too worried about coming up with a reason, just ask him can you have that apartment as you prefer it.

I did a similar thing years ago - was renting a small flat in a building, another flat came up in the same building (same landlord) that was a bit bigger, so I said it to him that I'd like to take the bigger one, he had zero problems with the idea. My landlord was an older gent too, and was very accomodating in allowing me time to move and not paying double rent while doing so. He was glad to be retaining a good tenant who might otherwise move out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that by moving, you may lose whatever rights you have gained from your time in the existing apartment, i.e. the tenancy gets reset to zero years.

But you health is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

just be really nice about it - give him the plenty of notice that your leaving and explain how bad your asthma has been - i understand where your coming from - he is elderly man and will see you and your partner around - especially if your just moving upstairs - so be honest but kind

Your excuse is perfect - best of luck :)

Advertisement